[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody - Maple - Moonshadow

"I had a good enough day. And don't worry, I think I have just the plan for a newcomer like Moonshadow here. I think I also have an idea for you two as well. Give me just one moment..." In a wink, Pendulumnae teleported away. After a few seconds she was back with a fairly large grin on her face. "Is everypony ready?"

"We were hatched ready! Right, Miss Pecky?"

"Are you sure about putting me again it? I don't think the Chief would support this gym for training if I end up squishing it."

"I don't think that's something likely enough to happen to make it worth worrying about."

"We were hatched ready! Right, Miss Pecky?"

"Cheap Cheap!" She pumps a wing in the air.

"I'm about ready as one can be I suppose." Moonshadow adds.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody - Maple - Moonshadow

"Alright, Moonshadow, you'll be over there. Already briefed the trainer who'll be working with you." Pendulumnae pointed at a stallion who was doing a few warmup stretches.

Rhapsody - Maple

"For you other two...

Everypony clear the center mat!"
Ponies made space and then Pendulumnae rolled up the mat. She disappeared, only to open a door in the center of the floor from underneath. She waved for Rhapsody and Maplejack, then two other ponies to follow. The other two were two unicorn mares who looked related with one wearing sun shaped barretes in her hair with the other having moon decorations. After climbing down the ladder, they all saw a huge structure that vaguely resembled a jungle gym if it had large metal sheets covering parts of it and the entire thing was painted pastel pink. "This is the big teamwork maze that will help train flexibility and coordination. Each duo will be connected by an elastic band and need to navigate to the end. For integrity's sake, there's flags to collect along the way. If you break the maze, your team loses. Overextend your band until it snaps and your team loses. Deliberately take the band off and you lose. Reach the end first with more flags and you win. Any questions?"

Moonshadow

The stallion walked up to Moonshadow and said, "First a few stretches, and then we'll begin."

Spoiler

[Getting hard to maintain this W.T.F. face!]

[Kinda on a roll now!]

"I never lived in a place where I couldn't choose what I ate. I mean, sure when I was a foal, my parents chose the meals. And up until recently, all I could afford were bottom shelf chimicherrychangas. But no pony other than my parents ever told me what to eat. I just...I mean...wow! I can't imagine!"

Rhapsody huffs. "I could do this easier and faster solo." She says and stretches her wings as she looks to the pair of Unicorns.

"I think that would count as a loss."

Wanderlust

Steel Flint led Wanderlust to a large workspace. "This is generally where Scarlet works. It will provide enough space but make sure anything you use is put back where you found it." Ready Quill eventually brought an old map, a modern one, and what was presumably a map made when building first started in Fiesta Caldera.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Wanderlust took in the room with a certain level of confusion. He had been dimly aware of the phrase 'urban jungle,' but hadn't been certain what it meant until now. "I guess if you don't have the space to grow trees, then paper products just have to make do," he mutters, trying not to breath to breath too hard on the loose papers as he traced the spines of a few books on the shelf. Eventually he comes to a pair of picture frames, one old and one new. He stops short of actually picking either one up, afraid he might start an avalanche of leaflets, but he looks at the mare in the older photo, puzzled. "Your picture frame is a story in itself; what's yours?" He m! urmurs. Before he could explore any further, Ready Quill delivered his maps, and he settled in to get to work.

Wanderlust knew how to navigate with a map and a compass, but he'd never done anything quite like this. It didn't look like the maps were exactly the same scale, and they were off-center from each other. Whoever made the modern maps really didn't want anyone comparing them to older editions. But somepony inside Wanderlust knew exactly what to do. It was complicated, and involved an ill-named tool called a compass (which Wanderlust knew was in a left-hoof pocket of his vest), but it wasn't hard to do, per se. Just slow.

The first step was to cut the number of maps he had to jump between down to 2, for the sake of his sanity. He carefully sketched the outline of Old Town onto the map of modern Fiesta Caldera. The buildings looked much the same today. If he was right that the town had been founded to cover up archaeological discoveries, then these original buildings would be the key to everything. Now began the painstaking process of determining where dig sites were relative to landmarks, and translating them across maps. It would be slow, grinding work, he knew, made all the more obnoxious by the existence of a transparency spell he had never bothered to learn (He hadn't thought it would be that useful, the voice in the back of his head informed him sourly). This was where his final tool came in, a voice in the back of his brain informed him, to combat boredom. He reached into a left-hoof pocket again and drew out a plastic box, containing a tangle of wires that was hardly more than a speaker and a battery. But at the click of a button, guitar music loud enough to rattle the room (and threaten a deluge of leaflets) burst out of the tiny box. Wanderlust hastily turned the music down, then got to work.

Spoiler

The stallion walked up to Moonshadow and said, "First a few stretches, and then we'll begin."

"Sounds good, just give me one moment." He walks over to a nearby bench and places his hat with Pecky upon it."Probably best if you aren't getting thrown around while I do this."

Pecky gives a little chirp of agreement.

"Maybe you can go cheer on miss Maple for the time being. I imagine both her and miss Rhapsody are just having the most wonderful of times right now..."

With that he goes back to the trainer and begins some stretches.

Fnu Aw:
"You're from Manehattan, right? Just how far into the future is the place? Do you know any spoilers?"

*twitch*
*W.T.F. Face*

[He was being so articulate before...so non-Night Cappy lucid when defending his meeting with Dazzling]

*twitch*

[I think I must have broken him.]

[HE'S BREAKING ME!!!!]

"What's all this talk about the future? I'm not some two-hearted alien pony bouncing around time and space in some bigger-on-the-inside blue box. I'm a normal, every day earth-pony from present day Manehatten! What! the heck kinda ancient-era backwater nowheresville did you used to live in?"

[Deep breath, Static. Deep breath!]

[Gonna toss him off a cliff...Dazzling or no Dazzling...I'm tossing him off a cliff!]

"No offense, but never go back. That place has broken you."

"I've never heard of it. What's it like?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Oh, huh. Why'd they leave?"

"Sounds like they they must've gone crazy. Does that happen a lot there? Maybe they should be looking for some great old one or something."

With the pancake mix and fruit now in his cart, Static starts to head over to the tea isle. "Well that definitely means we'll have to visit some time while carrying all the shovels!"

"Literally or figuratively?"

[You never know with some of these places.]

Rhapsody - Maple

"Solo misses the point of it. Alright, get ready." Pendulumnae quickly attached the bands to each team and then led them to their entrances. Each team member had a separate opening with the elastic band threading through a narrow gap in the wall separating them. "On your mark, get set, go!"

Spoiler

Moonshadow

The stallion instructed Moonshadow to lift his hooves so they could lock in a grapple. "Alright, I need to check your general form and strength level. Try to push me over."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Not when my life depends on it. Forget I asked. All of a sudden, my life in Manehatten doesn't seem so bad. "

Spoiler
zam, shadewing

"I already have, a few times, just to visit my parents. They finally reconciled after I learned I actually am my father's son. It's almost like we're a family again."

"But I would never go back to stay. Too many memories."

"I would definitely like to go back home to visit my parents again and tell them all about how I'm doing! ... but it's kind of a long flight from here..."

Patchouli Knowledge:
"I would definitely like to go back home to visit my parents and tell them all about how I'm doing! ... but it's kind of a long flight from here..."

"Maybe at some point you can take an extended vacation and go there. I guess I'm kinda lucky. I don't usually have much time once I get to Manehatten before I have to come back, otherwise I'd love to visit my parents more too. But I can get there in back in a weekend if I need to."

Fnu Aw:
"There is no force in Equestria that could get me to go back. Except maybe a really bad winter."

"Have you seen a Manehatten winter? Have you seen the moon light being refracted by the tiny snow flakes as they float gently down like frozen little pieces of death that pile so high outside your door you're lucky to get out in the morning to go to work? Yeah, I can do without it."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"It has...not that Mr. Celluloid would except that as an excuse. That's when I thanked Luna I lived on the second floor, bundled up tight, jumped down to snow level...which when it came to that desperate of an action...usually wasn't as much of a jump as you'd think...then just earth-pony-strengthed my way through"

Maple yanks on the device that connects her to Rhapsody...

"If I have to nag drag this gigantic foul mood through this course, I'd hope my time is at least halved." Maple says... as she waits

Fnu Aw:
"That seems unfair. In Summer Swamps they'll give you the day off if you have rockodiles piled outside your door."

Static shrugs. "I gave up a long time ago asking for what's fair. If it weren't for the hard knocks, I wouldn't be the tough scrapper I am today."

Rhapsody - Maple

"Solo misses the point of it. Alright, get ready." Pendulumnae quickly attached the bands to each team and then led them to their entrances. Each team member had a separate opening with the elastic band threading through a narrow gap in the wall separating them. "On your mark, get set, go!"

Spoiler

Maple yanks on the device that connects her to Rhapsody...

"If I have to nag drag this gigantic foul mood through this course, I'd hope my time is at least halved." Maple says... as she waits

Rhapsody's ear perk and huffs and then takes off like a rocket in the direction in front of her, not caring if the changeling gets knocked around or just dragged. This wasn't about winning for her, she didn't care in the least about the other team or how well those unicorns worked together; no she wanted to prove that away from its thralls food, that the changeling would show its true nature when dealing with a pony that had no love to mooch off of and wasn't gonna go easy on it because it looked small and helpless.

Spoiler

Rhapsody - Maple

Progressing forward, Rhapsody and Maplejack found the collection of metal bars split into two paths. One upwards and one keeping straightaway.

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Also a useful skill. Too much emphasis can be put on staying in the fight till the bloody end.. But that doesn't make for good scouts or messengers."

Spoiler
Zam

"Sometimes I wish I was wrong about someponies."

Static stops in his tracks and raises an eyebrow. "Wow! Just...wow! And I thought it was bad when my teachers sent me to detention for fighting back against a group of ponies who tried to cave in my ribcage!"

[We're getting into a depressing rut really quickly!]

"So...Misty! What was school like on Butterfly Island?"

[Please say something happy. Please say something happy. Please say something happy.]

"Ah... there weren't many teachers back home, so I was homeschooled."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static picked up some Matcha, Jade Citrus Mint and some Rooibos teas for his dinner with Anchors. He also spied the coffee and was about to get some of his normal mid-grade coffee when he saw some Saddle Arabian coffee. He remembered Light Fantastic talking about it all the time. It was a bit pricey. But just this once, it's not like it would break him to splurge just a little. He put it in the cart alongside everything else.

"I've seen some vids of Butterfly Island. I doubt they do it justice."

Rhapsody - Maple

Progressing forward, Rhapsody and Maplejack found the collection of metal bars split into two paths. One upwards and one keeping straightaway.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Zam

"Sometimes I wish I was wrong about someponies."

Maple
Spoiler

Rhapsody continues forward.

Zam
Spoiler

"It's a nice place, it really is. But it's pretty quiet, even compared to an area like this. Not much happens."

"Heh! After living most of my life in Manehatten, I was needing a place where not much happens. Of course then I become a member of our little group!"

Rhapsody - Maple
The bars began to groan as the elastic was pulled against them. Rhapsody and Maplejack could backtrack or they could press forward.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody was pulling against her something awful... but Maple was doing her best to keep her hooves on the ground... flying would make it much harder to resist Rhapsody's obvious attempts to hurt her - at least this way she could dig in and move at her own pace.

"It's a good thing Mr. Moonshadow will see this first hand... that way he won't have to hear all that mess about 'protecting team mates.' That's never what it's been about with you Rhapsody... you're just mean."

[This group is what he considers "not much happens?"]

[Should I put my WTF face back on again?]

[I think we need to get back to where we just take whatever Night Cap says in stride. Him being lucid and eloquent while explaining his meeting with Dazzling was just a fluke. It'll never happen again.]

[So...smile and nod then?]

Static nods.

Rhapsody, realizing the teether was gonna break turns around and goes over the bars, after all if the teether breaks, she looses any physical effect she'd have on the changeling. "That's just it. I protect teammates; Not monsters!" She says with a huff. "I am protecting them from you. You have them all enthralled to think your cute and harmless, they all think you're still 'Maple' whoever that was." Rhapsody says clenching her eyes shut. "That's how the Canterlot attack happened. Disguise yourself as someone ponies will trust, then enthrall others to your will, finally when everyone has there guard dropped you strike. I'm not falling for it again!" She had liked Maple, but that turned out to all be a rouse, and that hurt her just as much as Snowy being a criminal and sent away and Amber leaving, "Maple never existed. Least not the one we knew. We never even met the real Maple, just some impostor that weaseled its way into our ranks. And you STILL have everypony fooled! You call me mean, as if it's gonna hurt me. Maybe if it was the "real" Maple, but not you. I don't care if everyone else hates me, I'm gonna make sure you will NEVER hurt them! Its a small price to pay to for their lives."

Spoiler

Rhapsody - Maple

With yet another pull, several of the bars gave and part of the structure collapsed. "I can't get a good view from here but is everypony okay? Heard some shouting then the collapse." The other team announced, "We're okay! Well, don't know if we can get out...but it seems stable enough where we are."

Maple doesn't respond to the question.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Misty grabs a box of kelp tea off the shelf. "Ah, there we go! I should probably go check out and head back home. I have a few more things to do before bed tonight."

"Yeah, I should get going too. I have a dinner to get ready." He hung his head as they approached the checkout lanes.

[That poor mare!]

[Can they not afford more cashiers?]

"I just hope we aren't too late BECAUSE THEY WON'T OPEN UP ANOTHER LANE!"

Rhapsody - Maple

Rhapsody ached in places but nothing seemed broken. However, she was pinned down without the leverage to move. While Maplejack didn't have anything directly on her, the bars fell to create something almost like a small cage. She just might be able to squeeze through but the easiest gap looked like it led to Rhapsody. This left her with a choice of where to go and what to do. Was she truly a monster...or were ponies like Splash Flaunt and Saccharine Sweet correct in the trust they placed in her?

Rhapsody groaned, being unable to move. She scoffs a bit. "I guess you win, bug." She states weakly as she lies there under the rubble.

Spoiler
Zam

"I wasn't trying to beat you Rhapsody." Maple says as she slips through the bars easily and heads toward Rhapsody.

"The other team is trapped, and I'm not going to be able to help them without you... so I'm going to need you to trust me just long enough to save them. okay?"

Maple doesn't wait for a reply and hunkers down ... using her magic to again get skinny enough to get in beside Rhapsody.

Spoiler

Maple begins to change shape into a large powerful stallion ... not unlike Mr. Night Cap.

"I'm Not actually as Strong as Mr. Night Cap, so move as quickly as you can Rhapsody." ... "save the others..." the rubble lifting off Rhapsody as Maple Cap grunts under the weight.

Spoiler
Zam

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As Static, Misty and Night Cap finally made it to the check out, they could tell the poor cashier was really stressed. Whats worse was her trying to hide her forlorn glances at her oblivious coworkers stood around.

"Geeze! Where's your manager? Shouldn't they be working too?" The cashier jerked her head slightly to one of the slackers who was wearing the managers vest. Static hung his head in a sigh. "Unbelievable!" Static bagged his own groceries. None of the actual employees seemed to be ready to step up to the task. Static handed the mare several bits more than how much the groceries totaled. "Keep the change."

As he passed the manager, he muttered under his breath, "way to be an example for your employees there, buddy!"

Some times Static had to admit, it was nice not having Snowy censor him.

Rhapsody - Maple

As Maplejack triumphantly mimicked Mister Night Cap, she struggled to move enough rubble off.

Spoiler

Once Static gets home he puts on some hot water for the tea. Next he took out a baking mold he'd been working on for just this occasion...though he hoped this occasion wouldn't have marked the beginning of a long absence. He grimaced as he looked at it. It was as close as he could get to a profile of Anchors face. He was a film-maker and a tech pony, however. Making artistic baking molds in the shape of mare's faces wasn't his usual thing. Still, as long as the general shape held true, hopefully it would be the though that counted.

He poured the pancake batter into the mold and made enough pancakes for a three high stack each. He then used the lemon zest to ! make the face more like Anchors coloring. He used a some whipped cream and a single blueberry to make the eyes and then mashed the rest of the blueberries, mixing a small amount with some more whipped cream to lighten the color. Using the two shades of blue, he then gave the pancake Anchors their hair.

He then put some of the hot water into three separate pots: Matcha, Jade Citrus Mint and Rooibos.

It wasn't until his pancake masterpiece was finally realized that he stopped to consider...

[Is it creepy that that we're basically eating her face?]

[A little bit. A little bit creepy. Yeah.]

[I meant it to be flattering.]

[Well...it's kinda creepy.]

[Oh crap! What should I do? She's going to be here any moment!]

Up on the Keep's rooftop, Misty unstraps the packages from her sides and sets them down. She looks around, checking to see if anypony else is around. Not likely at this time of night, but...

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spoiler
Zam

"I wasn't trying to beat you Rhapsody." Maple says as she slips through the bars easily and heads toward Rhapsody.

"The other team is trapped, and I'm not going to be able to help them without you... so I'm going to need you to trust me just long enough to save them. okay?"

Maple doesn't wait for a reply and hunkers down ... using her magic to again get skinny enough to get in beside Rhapsody.

Spoiler

Maple begins to change shape into a large powerful stallion ... not unlike Mr. Night Cap.

"I'm Not actually as Strong as Mr. Night Cap, so move as quickly as you can Rhapsody." ... "save the others..." the rubble lifting off Rhapsody as Maple Cap grunts under the weight.

Spoiler
Zam

Spoiler

"No, I'm pretty sure you're stronger then Night Cap ever will be." Rhapsody states nonchalantly, doubting that the earth pony could even lift even this effectively. She uses what little space she has to squeeze out. Once she is free, she grabs maple by the tail and pulls her free from the rubble. "Let's get going."

Spoiler

"I might have to hug you later... Maple says, shifting back to herself, once Rhapsody had let go of her tail... Maple had given it slightly better than even odds that Rhapsody might have left her there... since she hadn't Maple wasn't going to risk freaking her out by shifting while Rhapsody still had ahold of her.

Maple took to the air, as she moved over to the area where the other team was trapped... while it looked stable there wasn't any point in risking it until Rhapsody figured out what they should do.

Scarlet had (albeit briefly) considered asking Wanderlust if he needed a hand, as he vividly remembered some ponies reactions to his 'workspace'. He'd also thought about doing some shopping, but decided against since he really wasn't that hungry. So he took to the sky for a slow flight home to his warehouse pad/cubbyhole and picked up a hot sandwich on the way.

After unlocking his door, Scarlet trotted in and started divesting himself of his saddlebags, adventure kit and food for the night. Dumping his bags on his bed and his sandwich on the small corner table, Scarlet pulled a bottle of something fizzy from his tiny fridge and sat down.

Scarlet Spectrums room was, while not tiny, very utilitarian. A bed with basic white sheets and cover. Black desk of drawers and chairs, small wardrobe, tiny fridge, one ceiling light and a desklamp.

So far, so normal. Until you looked up.

Then you'd see that most of--though not all--of the ceiling was taken up by a mass of scruffy looking maps that had been (only slightly) inexpertly stuck together to form a largescale map of Equestria. Hanging from these maps via either pins or (in a few cases) nails, were a myruad of coloured strings that charted his criss-crossing escapades avross the land. Most were brights colours marking his freelancer work, family adventures, or in the case of a grey strand, one of Aunt--Shales musical tours. The shortest and most recent strand was a twist of mixed colours represented his new STOMP friends. Much like there still a slightly frayed string representing his old STOMP friends.

The one that stood out the most though. The one that connected the old amd ne STOMPers. The one that made the whole like a little spiderwebby...

Was the thick, black (he'd been in a bad mood when making it) string that stood for his search to rescue Rain. It started entwined with the old STOMP team string. At the point Rain was 'lost' and followed his increasingly sporadic questing for clues, artefacts, history or magic that could allow him to recant the strange backfiring trap spell and somehow get her back.

[colour=#ff0000]"And today has giving me a new thread tominvestigate,"[/colour] he said as talking to somepony. Turning to his desk, he rummaged around for his notebook, shoving disorganized piles of loose ramblings onto the floor, until he remembered that both his notebook and picture of Rain, were back at the Keep. With a resigned sigh, he scribbled a reminder pn a stickpad and stuck it the fridge door. Then he took the vegatable curry sandwich and his drink over to his bed and settled down. Eventually drifting off while thumbing through another Daring Do adventure book.

Static answered took down most of the light in the room so there was only some candle light to illuminate everything.

[Maybe she'll be flattered.]

[She'll be creeped out.]

[Maybe the baking molds were so bad she won't even recognize them as being pony shaped, let alone her.]

[They weren't that bad.]

[Did I make the fruit tray? I think I forgot the fruit tray.]

With a deep sigh, he opened the door. "Hey, Anchors! I hope you're hungry." He led her to her seat at the table where the pancakes were already served. "I'm still learning how to make just enough for the number of ponies eating. I actually still have enough batter and blueberries to make a lot more...and they don't take long at all to cook up. So...you know...if you want more."

Good grief! How is it he still couldn't keep himself from rambling on around her?

"Also, that one's Matcha, that one's Jade Citrus Mint and that one's Rooibos," he said pointing to each in turn.

So...now what did he say? She'd be leaving for months. Aside from some Morse Code signals, this would likely be the last conversation they had before she left...and he couldn't think of anything to say!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I might have to hug you later... Maple says, shifting back to herself, once Rhapsody had let go of her tail... Maple had given it slightly better than even odds that Rhapsody might have left her there... since she hadn't Maple wasn't going to risk freaking her out by shifting while Rhapsody still had ahold of her.

Maple took to the air, as she moved over to the area where the other team was trapped... while it looked stable there wasn't any point in risking it until Rhapsody figured out what they should do.

Rhapsody - Maple

Rhapsody and Maplejack had gotten out of their section of the maze and with their attentive ears, they had a good idea of where the other two were. They could try to reach them directly or they could try to clear debris for Pendulumnae to get a clear enough view to teleport in.

Rhapsody silently heads over in the direction of the other team, and starts to look over the situation in front f her. "Don't want to risk going further in." She states as she evaluates her options. "You're small and could probably make it, it might even be worth the risk; but clearing a path is probably the better option." Rhapsody says and tries to buck some debris outta the way...

Spoiler

Spoiler
Shadewing, Zam

Maple didn't say anything, both of Rhapsody's plans made sense to her, but when the larger Pegasus struggled against the debris... Maple wondered if she was hurt in some way that wasn't obvious.

Maple put a hoof on Rhapsody's shoulder ... it wasn't a hug, but it was enough contact to transfer some energy.

Scarlet

Drifting off to sleep and slumber, something happened similar to so many other nights but far earlier than usual. A familiar voice called out to him.

"Scarlet?"

Static

Sitting at the table, Anchors Away made a small gasp of surprise once she looked at the pancakes. "Oh wow! I don't know what to say."

Confident in her privacy, Misty opens the packages and lays out their contents.

"Wow! It's amazing! It's everything I was hoping for..."

Rhapsody huffs and winces at her attempted buck turns into more of a buckle. She shivers some as Maple touches her shoulder feelings a bit of a jolt. "I'll give it my best." She replies and once again tries to knock the debris free the best she can.

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spoiler
Zam, Shadewing

Maple couldn't hold back... ponies depended on her... and she was Depending on Rhapsody... before her hooves struck the second time, Maple gave Rhapsody everything she had in a swiftly loosening hug around her neck.

"yeah..give it our best ...." Maple's eyes flutter closed at the sound of Rhapsody's hooves' impacting.

Scarlet twitched.

"Whaa...!"

Scarlet around trying to locate the mystery voice. Although by now he was beginning to hope that the voice really was who he thought it was.

"R-Rain?"

"Oh, good! It's recognizable at least," Static said noting Anchor's reaction. "Tech is easy. Trying art stuff is hard." Static takes a deep breath, opening one eye anticipatory. "So...umm...something I didn't consider until I heard you knocking at the door...for future reference...food that we're about to eat in the shape of each other...flattering or creepy?"

Rhapsody - Maple

The might of Rhapsody's hoof blasted a sizable hole in the structure. "I'm on it!" In a few winks, Pendulumnae teleported the other team out. And not a moment too soon. The rest of the structure collapsed to the ground afterwards. "I guess that's the last construction project I'll work on by myself. Glad you're all okay"

Scarlet

Looking around, Scarlet Spectrum saw a thick fog obscuring his vision. However, beneath his hooves seemed to be stone.

"Where are you?"

Night Cap

Drifting off to sleep, Night Cap soon found himself in a large city. However, it seemed far more standard than the dream metropolis he had often visited. Looking around, he spotted ponies scurrying inside and shutting doors. "Heed safety, fair citizen. A villain is loose but I, Sparkling Griddle, shall protect...wait, what? Night Cap?" Night Cap didn't immediately see who was speaking but the voice and diction were rather familiar.

Static

"It's great! I mean, ponies sometimes make cakes of the princesses and it's not like they actually want to eat the princesses. I just didn't expect something so artistic. Oh no, that didn't sound right. I just know we've both got these big, dangerous missions coming up and I guess I'm a little nervous and..."Anchors Away quickly bit off a huge mouthful. It seemed she might have been as hungry as a horse.

Static chuckled. "Usually I'm the one too nervous to talk right. Funny that after all this time, you still have that affect on me." Static shrugs and sits down to the pancakes and starts to eat. "I don't know what it is. Our jobs in STOMP have never been what a pony would call 'safe'. Baromets, Anugypt Princess, magic wands...all of it. But the possibility of having to face Dazzling again...it's almost like I can hear the bells tolling."

Static pauses, almost loosing his appetite. He pokes at his pancakes before continuing to eat. "Sorry, that's probably not a good thing to talk about right before we head out on our separate missions. It's just...with all the other missions we've been on, I think COIN had kinda taken the back burner in my mind, like I almost forgot they even existed...except Dazzling. She's a nightmare I've been waiting a long time to get rid of. And now that the time may actually be approaching? I'm not sure what to think about that."

Static muttered to himself. "Sorry, sorry. I'm still talking about it. I want to focus on you. I want this entire night to be about you. But ever since I heard about the upcoming missions...my mind has just been...well...you remember that night. It was the first night we met. I'm sure you more than anypony knows how important this is to me."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"i don't know. There's fog everywhere!"

Confused but elated, Scarlet tried to keep his mind focused on what he could hear and feel. Not on what he (couldn't) see. How he'd ended up here, as well as where Here was, were questions for later.

"Can you see anything? Are you okay?" Scarlet shook himself.

Focus! Find her!

"Call out again, help me come to you."[/color.

Holding his breath, Scarlet waited for another call from 'Rain', hoping to use the sound to fix a direction. If that was even possible in this fog-filled place.

[spoilers]Perception check to find a direction
1d20=18
18+8=26
Total26

Rhapsody - Maple

The might of Rhapsody's hoof blasted a sizable hole in the structure. "I'm on it!" In a few winks, Pendulumnae teleported the other team out. And not a moment too soon. The rest of the structure collapsed to the ground afterwards. "I guess that's the last construction project I'll work on by myself. Glad you're all okay"

Once everypony was safe and free of the collapsing mess, Rhapsody herself collapsed having used up what energy She had and what Maple had given her, she was sore and she hurt a lot more then she let on after all that...

Rhapsody - Maple

"I think I spoke too soon" Pendulumnae said once she saw Rhapsody collapse. "C'mon Maple. I'm going to carry her to the hospital."

Scarlet

"Are you there? Where are you?" As far as Scarlet Spectrum could tell, it seemed like she was in front of him but a far distance away.

Night Cap

"My archnemesis is corrupting ponies with dark magic! She must be stopped before more suffer! I'm...still trying to figure out why you're here. Maybe it's a reminder to give your department a survey soon. Hmm." The voice seemed to come from somewhere vaguely above Night Cap.

Static

Anchors Away nodded. "I wish I had some sort of suggestion that would help. Maybe...maybe you shouldn't think about it? Not that you shouldn't be concerned or prepared, just that I think being scared is what she wants."

Forcing down a fustrated grumble, Scarlet tried to stay positive and started a slow, careful walk in the direction of the voice. Keeping his voice came, he called out again.

"I'm sorry, but i-i don't know. Rain? Rain, you're somewhere in front of me. Keep talking." Scarlet took a deep breath. He didn't really want to push for these questions, but couldn't come up with anything better to get her talking.

"Can you tell me what happened to you? All i remember is a blinding flash and you were... gone! Jow did you find yourself here?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Scarlet

"I don't remember. Please...help me."

"Actually, I think 'scared' isn't really the right word. I mean, I was scared of her. And I know that if we do meet her, she could possibly kill me." Static shrugs. "But dying's always a possibility on these missions. I've come to accept that. This...is different.

"Dazzling...if not for her, I probably would have never come back to the museum that night, never helped to stop that break in, never been a part of STOMP, never gotten to know you. A lot of good came from that meeting with Dazzling. Everything about my life completely changed that night.

"But she i! s evil. She is dangerous. And she made clear what would happen if she and I ever met again. In a lot of ways, if you read any of those comic books...she's kind of my arch nemesis. She scared me, she threatened me...and now finally we're going to meet her.

"No...'scared' isn't really the word for it. It's just a confrontation that's been a long time coming, a part of my life I can hopefully finally close the book on. It's...another turning point in my life."

Static takes another deep breath. "If I'm afraid of anything, it's not because of what she could to do me. Torture me? I've been beaten down by a tree, jumped out of a helicopter...I don't think we've had a single battle that hasn't left its mark. Pain hasn't meant anything to me since I was a foal getting the crap beaten out of me on the school playground. Kill me? As I said, we all face that every time we go on one of these expeditions.

"If anything scares me...it's what I could do to her."
He winced saying that. He hadn't meant to say that. That was the danger of going on these long-winded motivational rants. You never knew what might make its way to the surface. Better not leave it at that, though. It may give Anchors the wrong idea. "You know what I used to be like. I've come a long way since then. I'd like to think that who I used to be is not who I am anymore...that I could never be that pony again. Truth though? This is going to be a heckuva test for me. If anypony can push the absolute worst buttons...I mean...*sigh*...it's going to be a test."

"Okay... just don't leave me alone with her, she might not forgive you if you do." Maple says, forcing her hooves under her.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Resisting the urge to charge blindly forward, Scarlet continued towards, he hoped, Rain.

"I am! I will! Stay calm, i will find you."

A shade of panic was starting to cloud his thoughts aa Rain spoke.

No memory of how she go here. I seem to have gotten here via some kind of, mixed dream? No idea where here is, whether time or space even work the same here.

Is this a dreamscape? Pocket dimension? Something else? What did i do wrong that landed her here?!

Do not ask her how long she thinks she's been here!

"Rain, what is the last thing you remember before ending up here?"

Rhapsody - Maple

"Huh?" Pendulumnae pondered for a moment as she lifted Rhapsody with her magic. "How about you go find Brisk Iron and update her."

Static

Anchors Away was taken aback. "I wouldn't be here tonight if I thought you were! still like that. I don't think something like that will happen since you clearly don't want to be like that anymore and you've changed so much."

Scarlet

"I remember...you. You've always had such a warm smile. I'm so cold, Scarlet. I'm so cold..."

Suddenly, Scarlet felt himself falling! Try as he might, his wings did nothing to aid him. He kept tumbling until...

Night Cap

"I don't immediately know where but we must keep ever vigilant." As Sparkling Griddle leaped down to meet with Night Cap, a spotlight behind her shadowed her features. It was clear she had a cape and there was a cast iron skillet strapped to her utility belt.

However, before she could land, Night Cap awoke! There was a resounding crash inside his room. Scarlet Spectrum landed on a small table that had been given to Night Cap. While the table broke the pegasus' fall, the fall broke the table and scattered papers everywhere. While Scarlet Spectrum didn't look injured, he smelled like he had been rolling in chamomile.

"I hope you're right. I...kinda feel that you're right. It's just, I don't know. Is it me or is it maybe once a pony has a past they're not proud of, they're constantly trying to escape it...even if they've already escaped it long ago?" Static takes a deep breath. "I'm just glad that...if all goes well...if we do meet her, no matter what happens, I can put it behind me. If we beat her, even if she's still out there, I won't have to fear her any more. And if she beats us?" Static could only shrug. "All I have to do is survive! . If all I do is face her down and survive...and keep hold of who I know I am...I can still just chalk her up to another COIN member that's just out there and leave it at that."

Static shook it off and decided to change the subject. "But what about your expedition? It sounds like you're going to have quite a few experiences yourself."

Spoiler

He was falling!

One moment the 'ground' had been there. The next, nothing.

Her words echoed in his mind, reminding him forcefully of Moonbeam Writs muddled mind after spending so much time trapped and alone. He screamed as loudly as he could, for all the good it did.

"I'll be back for you! I won't leave you here. Don't forget me!"

Flapping jis wings futilely, Scarlet fought to stop whatever was pulling him away.

CRASH!

Something hard broke under his weight as the flailing pegasus crashed into somewhere brightly lit and not made of stone.

"Ah-oooooowwwwwwwee!!

Carefully lifting his head, Scarlet squinted at his surroundings as sight and senses returned.

2color=#ff0000]"Oh, buck!"[/color] He was clearly awake again, although not nevessarily in the same place as when he'd fallen asleep.

"Okay, that's a better plan... we don't want her waking up to think I ate her or replaced her or something..." Maple mumbles shaking her head a little before sort of sideways walking toward the door.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"You... you did good... maple..." Rhapsody mumbles as she's picked up by Pendulumae's magic.

Forcing his eyes open, Scarlet stared dumbly at the sight before him.

"Night...Cap? What, where, how?

Deciding after a few attempts to just lie where he is for, Scarlet looks around.

"Well i...started this...evening, i hope its still evening, in my room. Then my, uh, dreams got a...little to..,real. Which...leads me to...uh...think that i, quite literally fell out of my dreams and... through a table in...your room?

Is that even possible?"

As maple walked back to the keep she couldn't focus on much other than keeping herself, looking like herself... so using her head map was right out. after following some long short cuts and needing directions from passers by more than once, Maple made it back to the keep in a time she would be embarrassed to tell Static about.

Fortunately, even with the pause in active tour-guiding, Maple knew the layout of the keep like nobody's business and then slumped with a solid thud against the chief's door.

"Tha's...not quite what i meant.

When i fell asleep, i was in my room. Then i find myself in a fog-filled...cavern? I'm not sure where i was, but Rain was there. I think.

Anyway, wherever i was the floor suddenly vanishes and i'm falling through nothing, only to crash through a table and find myself awake here, in your room."

Then something caught his eye.

"Night, why have you barricaded your window?"

"Home Defence?

Home Defence from what? It's a window.

...?

Wait, did i fall through your ceiling?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple

Brisk Iron opened her office door and was surprised to see Maplejack there. "What is it?"

Static

"Yeah, there's stuff at the bottom of the ocean that certainly doesn't exist on land. But hopefully my work down there will help everypony understand it better."
And indeed, from what Static Signal could recall, The Challenging Trench was surrounded in ! mystery. Its true depth unknown and even the Far Horizon Islands had very little known about them due to their vast distance from the nearest landmass.

"Rhapsody hurt... on her way to hospital... sent me to tell you... uhm... the new guy's still at the gym..."

Maple's Changeling Magic flickered in and out ..changing her form as if somepony was rapidly flicking a light switch As she finished speaking her fluffy Pegusus pudginess was all but gone and the tiny little changeling curled up into a little ball as best she could and passed out.

Maple

"I'll handle it from here." As Maplejack passed out, she could feel herself being lifted by strong hooves. In the morning, she would find herself back home in her bed.

Rhapsody

Slowly shifting in and out of consciousness, Rhapsody could hear voices outside of her door. While they were muffled, one was Brisk Iron. While she seemed to be comfortable, she wasn't in her own room. And despite the comfort of the location, she still ached all over.

"Would that I were already finished building my boat and could come with you. Given the choice between discovering new worlds and being where nopony has ever gone before, or being in a fight for my life against an enemy that would see me dead...yeah...I'd kinda like to go the route of discovery." Static tries to smile and laugh to lighten the mood of what he just said. He isn't sure how well it worked. "So far in my life, the closes I've ever gotten to deep see are those documentaries. The one we saw together using my projector...I'd love to see it for real some time. I...actu! ally kinda envy you and the journey you're going on."

Scarlet waved a wing in lieu of nodding. Slowly, he detailed the whole 'dream' for Night Cap, along with how Rains reactions seemed to resemble Moonbeam Writs faded mental state, how this was the third and most potent time this particular 'dream' had happened and his own speculation as to what kind of dream dimension could physically trap somepony in it. Especially since Rain had vanished as a result of a backfiring trap spell on a locked catacomb.

"A hole in the dream? That doesn't sound good.

Finally getting his feet under him, Scarlet wobbled upright.

"Are you going to be alright Night? Because i think the Chief will want to know about this."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody

Slowly shifting in and out of consciousness, Rhapsody could hear voices outside of her door. While they were muffled, one was Brisk Iron. While she seemed to be comfortable, she wasn't in her own room. And despite the comfort of the location, she still ached all over.

Rhapsody struggles some to look around, her ears flicking a bit at the sound of voices, her mind trying to piece together where she was and what was happening, in her moments of consciousness.

Scarlet just blinked, half-convinced it was his muddled head making him see so many locks and chains, and bolts.

"Oookay," he said as they headed in a (more or less) straight line towards the Keep. He briefly considered heading for the Chiefs actual home instead. However, since he still wasn't firing on all cylinders, he decided that the risk of two rambling ponies arriving at the Chiefs Office door, was a much safer option than collapsing at her Home doorstep.

"Rrrright. Right. First things first. We find the Chief and, hopefully, explain coherently just what the buck just happened.

Then you're going to tell me why you've got your apartment barricaded tighter than the most expensive panic room money can buy. Ok?"

Rhapsody

Rhapsody heard the door open as Brisk Iron entered the room. Sitting next to the bed, she quietly and calmly began to speak. "Pen's description of your accident has gaps in it but I'll have to look more deeply into that at a later time. The more immediate concern is my conversation with Nurse Nightheart. As far as she can diagnose, you've been lacking sleep and that's having an affect on how fast you can heal. On that note, I'm mandating medical leave for your sake. While I also have something else to discuss, did you have anything to say?"

Night Cap - Scarlet

Scarlet Spectrum and Night Cap discovered that Brisk Iron did not answer any knocks on her office door.

Scarlet like out a mildly frustrated sigh and propped himself up by leaning against the onresponsive door.

"I guess she's...at home or...busy somewhere else?

Err, sorry about this Night. I suppose we could go looking for...Steel Flint? Or maaaybe kinda sorta, go to the Chiefs home?

I'm not trying to frag you all over town but, well this kind of urgent news. Which would you prefer we do?"

Rhapsody

Rhapsody heard the door open as Brisk Iron entered the room. Sitting next to the bed, she quietly and calmly began to speak. "Pen's description of your accident has gaps in it but I'll have to look more deeply into that at a later time. The more immediate concern is my conversation with Nurse Nightheart. As far as she can diagnose, you've been lacking sleep and that's having an affect on how fast you can heal. On that note, I'm mandating medical leave for your sake. While I also have something else to discuss, did you have anything to say?"

"Yes... Gyms shouldn't... be... be using equipment... that's got... got lower standards... then... then the Bubonic Inn..." Rhapsody huffs still lacking a lot of strength and energy, but as always she's stubborn and bull headed as she struggles to get to her hooves. "I'll... I'll be fine, chief. The team... needs me." She states and the falls flat on her face.

Top Bottom