• Android phone

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • IPhone

Votes: 17 24.6%

• Total voters

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I’m blown away by the number of desktop/laptop votes. iOS/Android split less so, but in a mobile-first world there’s something refreshing about that.

I’m genuinely curious why so many Allsparkers are desktop users. I’d think most of us are late X to mid Millennial in age, so is the Oregon Trail effect?
I ******* hate using my phone for anything more than like casual web browsing.

Have no idea how people can use one as their primary or even only computing device, and I'm not even 27 yet.

Probably has something to do with how I grew up using desktop and laptop computers and didn't get my first smartphone until I was 20.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's funny. I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Book 2 as my new home laptop with the thought that it was light weight and powerful so I'd use it sitting on the couch, or in bed, or pooping 🤪, yet it sits on the counter and is used more like a PC than the traveling laptop it is supposed to be. It is just more convenient sometimes to pull out my phone in those situation instead of going to grab the laptop. But my phone will NOT be my primary form of internet browsing.

P.S. I'm an X'er surprise surprise.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I was staunchly against smartphones until I got an ipad and realized having an internet device was super handy for my daily bus commute; after a nearly botched meetup with my step-brother, I decided to just get the damn smartphone and wouldn't you know it, I now use that thing constantly.

Definitely prefer using a PC when available though.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I don't mind using my phone for the social medias with dedicated apps or Discord, but even if it's been optimized for mobile browsing, viewing forums on a phone will never, ever feel good to me. It's too ingrained in my mind as a Actual Computer experience.

msol

Citizen
I only really use the site from Desktop these days. Since the redesign a couple years back I find it much harder to use this site on my iPhone. Can't quite put my finger on why.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Ironically I'm commenting from my phone, but I almost always use desktop. Exceptions, like now, are usually when I'm on vacation or something.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm actually a little surprised how skewed the results are but I guess like I said before, we're all a bunch of old heads.

Right now something I'm working on is a better way of integrating news and such into the forums. And knowing that most people present would be viewing it with their browsers is important data.

I despite wordpress and I've hated our current front page for years. So I'm trying to get rid of it altogether and have a means of 1) it looking nicer and being more simplified and 2) something people can comment directly on instead of "go to our forums blah blah blah"

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Although there are still changes in the works for the front page, I've made some changes to the current from page https://www.allspark.com to make it far less "cluttered"

Let me know what you think

I definitely like it better. I never cared for the scrolling pics/story links at the top of the page. The fixed position stories in chronological order is better.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It will get even better if things go according to plan! But thanks for the feedback everyone

Top Bottom