He-Man, and also the Masters of the Universe

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
"Ankylosaurs" is a weird example to use for that, though, since scientific names (which are the only names most extinct animals have) are the same across all languages.

Both words are greek...

I mean, English, Greek, Klingon...question still stands.

Were they just making random noises with their mouth and just decided, yeah, that's what that means now

Axaday

Citizen
I mean, English, Greek, Klingon...question still stands.

Were they just making random noises with their mouth and just decided, yeah, that's what that means now

I can't think of any other way it could be done.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
New leaks for Turtles of Grayskull! Feels appropriate to keep most info here about the line, given Mattel making it and the strong MOTU influence and tooling.

Reminder on wave 3 and Deluxe figures-
Deluxe figures are split between Walmart and Target. Walmart’s do NOT feature the BAF of Metal-boto, that is exclusive to Target’s offerings. Walmart is getting (or has gotten) Krang and Moss Man. Target has MouseJaw with Slaker due this spring. Wave 3 is reportedly set to feature:
Michelangelo- BA He-Man inspired with blond hair
Teela- Seen in the mini comics, will have turtle inspired armor with a splash of Sorceress.
Skeletor- Leaks from the wave 2 mini comic reveal a samurai/Chromedome inspired armor.
Casey Jones- There have been NO leaks or teases of him across currently seen package art or comics. I’M betting on Fisto or Man-E-Faces inspiration.
Wave 3 Deluxe figures will be Splinter (King Grayskull) for Target, while Walmart will get Leatherneck (Whiplash influence?)

Wave 4 listings have reportedly leaked to ToyHabits and this is what their anonymous source claims will the fourth (and final?) wave of the line:
He-Man (Turtle Armor)
Leonardo (A variant. ToyHabits speculates a Samurai Leo, but given the nature of the line, I’m betting on a Flying Fist He-Man inspiration)
April O’Neil
Hordak (is THIS the one getting the Chromedome inspired look?)
Deluxe figures will be Merman (glimpsed in mini comic 2) for Walmart, but Target will supposedly get “Rockbop”, Rocksteady and Bebop fused together, a la, Two Bad.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He’s referencing a “flash in the pan” drink from the mid-90s. MASSIVE marketing budget, but was gone almost as quick as it appeared.

The name is currently used by a travel booking site

Thanks for the info about the drink!

As for booking site, I linked to that in my original post.
For what it's worth, it felt like they were around for as long as I worked grocery in the '90s, before I moved to Canada. And I still see people calling for their return to this day.

And yeah, I originally saw the ad without any other context before coming here, and thought it had something to do with the drink, until I saw your post. Hopes are dashed, I guess.

(I never tried it, tbh. But as noted, I've seen people calling for its return.)

Shadewing

Citizen
Finally got around to watching Revolution. Really liked it, though they really went full "magical girl" with that final transformation didn't they?

Also best line of the series "So, this whole time; you could have just hugged me into Battle Cat?"

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
That can't beat the jaw dropper that is :
20240125_193427.jpg

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Chalk this up to the rumor mill, for now, but...

Amazon MGM is reportedly trying to snag the rights to a live action He-Man film from Netflix after years of stalled production. Their choices to develop? Chris Butler, long time LAIKA collaborator who wrote ParaNorman and Kubo and the Two Strings with Travis Knight being eyed for the director's chair.

Just rumor at the moment, but it would be a HUGE coup for the project to get that talent on board.

Deathy G1

Citizen
I found wave 1 of Turtles of Grayskull yesterday and grabbed a Donatello. His arm and leg armor doesn’t fit as snugly as on previous Origins figures, which is rather annoying.

I’ll probably grab a Krang, Slash/Faker and RockBop, plus any Man E Faces reference, but I’m not impressed enough to try to complete Metalhead/Roboto.

IMG_3677.jpeg

Last edited:

Axaday

Citizen
I cannot recall if Dolph Lundgren was ever just Adam. My vague recollection is that he was always Heman for the whole movie.

I like how the 2007 show and now this new show make Adam small and Heman large. It is goofy as all get-out that the original series had Adam and He-Man look EXACTLY the same. He was more powerful and got a change of clothes, but his face is totally uncovered, he has the same weird hairdo, the same voice. No one would ever miss that he was the same guy.

If I were directing a live-action movie, I think I would get separate actors to play Adam and He-Man.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
adam and heman had distinct voices in the filmation cartoon, also one was way more tanned and they had different yellows used for their blond hair.

while it is obvious - it's a kids show about magic science aliens. if clark kent's glasses stop Lois from seeing he's superman...

I think this is why we're supposed to grow out of these things LOL the warranty on our disbelief suspensions runs out

Shadewing

Citizen
adam and heman had distinct voices in the filmation cartoon, also one was way more tanned and they had different yellows used for their blond hair.

while it is obvious - it's a kids show about magic science aliens. if clark kent's glasses stop Lois from seeing he's superman...

I think this is why we're supposed to grow out of these things LOL the warranty on our disbelief suspensions runs out

It was always more then just glasses, and its something that happens IRL as well. The best example is that while filming Superman; people would mob him if he went out dressed as Superman, but if he went out dressed as Clark Kent no one would recognize him. There's a comic page where Luthor get told bluntly "Clark Kent is Superman" and he rejects it, because he can't imagine someone like Superman, someone so powerful and godlike, to pretend to be a bumbling reporter. It might be a show of Luthor's ego, but again we get stuff like that happening IRL. Like how Charlie Chaplin lost a lookalike contest. People don't expect the fabulous and/or famous to be part of the mundane because they have different expectations of them.

Another factor, one that He-Man shares, is that he doesn't hide his face. Unlike other heroes, you can see his face on full display. While that might make someone say "you can clearly see they look a like" well... 1. Have you ever seen someone and think "hey, they look like ____" I know I experience it quite often. 2. The lack of mask, tends to remove the question of "who are they?" because unlike Batman or Spiderman, who conceal most or all of their face; Superman doesn't obscure his face at all. You see him, and you are seeing him, not some mystery person. You see someone that looks like him, and you're not going to think "OMG, you're Superman" you're more likely to think "Anyone ever tell you, you look JUST like Superman?" or something like that, because you don't think someone that is clearly showing their face as someone that has an alter-ego.

Top Bottom