HasLab Deathsaurus

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, not really having paid very close attention to this whole thing, on account of not being able to afford it and all... why did this need to be HasLab?

Like, honest question. I seriously don't know. Is it just a ton of parts for some reason (given the original was a regular retail release, yeah?)?

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
So, not really having paid very close attention to this whole thing, on account of not being able to afford it and all... why did this need to be HasLab?

Like, honest question. I seriously don't know. Is it just a ton of parts for some reason (given the original was a regular retail release, yeah?)?

It is large in size and parts count and complex beyond the ability to fit at a modern retail size class. What could be sold at retail when the original came out vs now are two entirely different things, totally different environment and guidelines. Not to mention a modern fully poseable toy is very different from a G1 style toy in parts count, complexity and necessary price/cost.

They have said their original plan was to do him at retail but it would of necessity been a much simpler and "compromised" version and they thought he was a strong enough character that they could justify doing him "perfect" as a Haslab VS just ok at retail.

-ZacWilliam, so he didn't necessarily HAVE to be a Haslab but making him one assured he was the best he could be.

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
Yeah - they said his retail release would've been a remold/repaint of Grimlock.

The answer to "why" for every Haslab is ultimately the same: we don't live in the eighties any more and the toy industry has shifted dramatically since then (or even since the early aughts). No Haslabs could exist in the form we got them in today's retail environment be it due to sheer size, parts count/complexity or price.

In this case, he's not that big but he's quite complex with lots of paint apps which would put him at the Titan price point without the shelf-presence to support it.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I think its about like most figures. You could get a decent release at mass retail, but when you take the time to do it right, it just comes out so much better.

I still want to see what that Grimlock remold would have looked like.

*edit*
Just found this after a google search, somebody already made a digibash of what it could look like. And I like it. This would have been a fun figure. I think at a Commander Class to incorporate the breast animals and weapons. But HasLab just takes something nice and makes it great.
grimsaurus.png

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Evan said that the Grimlock retool would have just been a Leader class release, so it likely wouldn't have been quite as extravagant as that digibash.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
If it had been leader class then we might not have gotten the beast figures.
We keep getting told that they would have been released separately as Core figures. Maybe that's true, but I can't imagine the result would have been especially satisfactory.

I think ZacWilliam1 said it best. I've been seeing LOTS of folks ask why it had to be a HasLab (with varying degrees of honesty vs. indignation) and it's ultimately the case that it didn't HAVE to be. Hasbro can do whatever they want. But they're a company with specific goals and limitations. Doing it THIS way (that is, as a HasLab) gave them freedom to a make a toy that, had it been designed with "regular" retail goals in mind, would likely have been a very different... and decidedly inferior... toy. As a HasLab, it costs a little more, and those who want it have to buy it up front (or pay even more later). But it essentially guarantees that those of us who want the toy can get it (as opposed to, for example, the most recent Cosmos figure), provided we're able to do so within the pre-order windoow (which is a pretty good chunk of time, IMHO), and we can get a toy that is far more faithful to the original, while incorporating modern technology to make it even better.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Besides, as is, this is pretty darn close to how an actual MP Deathsaurus would have probably been like, especially since this figure is approximately the same height as MP Star Saber, as the two are supposed to be roughly the same height as each other rather than Deathsaurus towering over Star Saber.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
For those who haven't gotten their copies yet or simply intersted in seeing how he transforms, this video got you covered, plus it also does Victory Saber

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
I think its about like most figures. You could get a decent release at mass retail, but when you take the time to do it right, it just comes out so much better.

I still want to see what that Grimlock remold would have looked like.

*edit*
Just found this after a google search, somebody already made a digibash of what it could look like. And I like it. This would have been a fun figure. I think at a Commander Class to incorporate the breast animals and weapons. But HasLab just takes something nice and makes it great.
View attachment 18123
An actual retail Grimsaurus wouldn't even have been as good as that. Those wings add far too much plastic volume to the price point and probably wouldn't even fit into a Leader box. The robot head is bigger than the space available in beast mode. The chestplate is too lavishly accurately detailed and painted to be a Core class figure. I'd be curious to see someone take a try at really costing this down to something more on-shelf achievable.

Haslab Deathsaurus has the size and internal parts count of a Commander, and way more accessories, and he's an obscure bad guy from 35 years ago with no American media presence. They couldn't risk asking $100 at retail for that. Ironically, it seems likely that the success of this Haslab opened the credibility door for Commander Magmatron (and I'd be very curious to see how that sells).

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Thanks for the answers! I should have mentioned that I'm not that familiar with the G1 toy, either, so I don't know what sort of level it was on to start with.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Thanks for the answers! I should have mentioned that I'm not that familiar with the G1 toy, either, so I don't know what sort of level it was on to start with.
Here's a gallery of the original toy:

Though, the cartoon model took this design and made it a bit more extravagant, like moving the wings in robot mode to spread outward instead of only pointing backward. The HasLab toy is based more closely on the cartoon model.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
Mine showed up yesterday, and a few hours later a tornado hit my town. Coincidence?

I mean, he is called the "Emperor of Destruction".

And he comes with instructions! Full Color instructions! I mean, I expected him to come with them, but the way some were clamoring for a Transformation Video you'd think he' be lacking.

Well, time to yeet him into storage with Star Saber!

Top Bottom