Hasbro PulseCon 2023, Hosted by Dan Larson & Thew Adams

CrockAlley

Citizen
I have the original Thundertron and Tigerhawk. I think these new toys are nice enough on their own, but as updates, they don't quite have enough to win me over. I like the stylization of the original Thundertron better. His robot mode is articulated enough that I don't feel the need for this imperfect update. Tigerhawk has always been an unwieldy design, and I don't see this new one improving on that enough. Plus the lack of "Battle Cat" beast helmet is unfortunate.

Often with these sorts of updates, I think that we're missing some of the spark that made the originals so fun. Like missing Mini-Cons and Legacy Armada Starscream's wing sword. But maybe I'm just being an old grump.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I have the original Thundertron and Tigerhawk. I think these new toys are nice enough on their own, but as updates, they don't quite have enough to win me over. I like the stylization of the original Thundertron better. His robot mode is articulated enough that I don't feel the need for this imperfect update. Tigerhawk has always been an unwieldy design, and I don't see this new one improving on that enough. Plus the lack of "Battle Cat" beast helmet is unfortunate.

Often with these sorts of updates, I think that we're missing some of the spark that made the originals so fun. Like missing Mini-Cons and Legacy Armada Starscream's wing sword. But maybe I'm just being an old grump.

I LOVE the visual of the ORIGINAL Thundertron in robot mode. It's an A+ visually. This one Is B+/A so yeah, a hair less.

BUT the original Thundertron's lion mode is GARBAGE. It's mostly un-poseable and extremely awkward. The back hips are flat out awful. It's a D.

Your math may very of course but I'll trade a great bot mode down to just a pretty good one if it gets me from an awful alt-mode up to something actually fun as a lion.

-ZacWilliam, but I know what you mean. There are plenty of toys that are good enough that I just don't need an update TM2 Megs was that for me. New one was fine, but it wasn't "better" so I don't need it. And that's fine.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen

One reason I never went in on the original Thundertron was the sword weapon being wrangled to the line gimmick, so for me at least, this one just having a plain saber (and much less clear plastic) is a tick up for me. For Tigerhawk, the lack of the helmet IS weird, especially since the beast head has an extremely conspicuous rectangular hole where it would presumably peg in.

1695497186596.png

Maybe it's being saved for a theoretical GenSelects Razorclaw, with intended dual compatibility like the Scavenger head they put with Antagony?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Meh, I actually unscrewed the helmet on my vintage Tigerhawk to remove it from the figure years ago, because I hated how it kept getting in the way and always forced the tiger head to look downward when stored away behind the head.

I wanted my Tigerhawk to look like how he looked in the cartoon, darn it!

Nemesis1-Tigerhawkbeastmode.jpg

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
...actually, the more i think about it, going the Antagony-style pack-in makes sense. Like, sure, they get brownie points for making the bits on Tigerhawk purple because it's screen-accurate, but that would've made the mask purple, too. And you know who else has a purple mask? Razorclaw.

IT'S ALL CONNECTED.

SbKIKSM.gif

Last edited:

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
One of my first thoughts about that new Ani Prime was if these parts would fit. If they do, I’m in. If not, I’m probably still in.

I would like that as well, of course, Hasbro next Ultra Magnus would have to be animated Magnus after 86, one that looks like how he appeared in the cartoon and comes with a Mangus hammer that any bot can hold, thou I wonder if Legacy will give us Jerkus Prime, er, I mean Sentinal Prime, animated style?

CrockAlley

Citizen
BUT the original Thundertron's lion mode is GARBAGE. It's mostly un-poseable and extremely awkward. The back hips are flat out awful. It's a D.
I agree that it's far from perfect, but I wouldn't say D/garbage. The articulation is terrible, but it looks good, IMO. I definitely see improvements in the new one, but not enough to offset the downgraded robot mode. I wonder what's up with the new robot shoulders. Swapping out the claws for chunks was a choice.

One reason I never went in on the original Thundertron was the sword weapon being wrangled to the line gimmick
Absolutely agree on the sword. I strongly dislike the gimmick sword of the original. But the lack of clear plastic on the new one is a step down for me. It just looks really nice on the old one, especially the bit in the robot head. The old robot head was intricately sculpted. The new one just looks like a lump.

Like I said, in a vacuum, the new one is a very nice toy. I'd probably get it if I didn't have the original. I will totally get it if they do a Lio Convoy repaint.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
One of my first thoughts about that new Ani Prime was if these parts would fit. If they do, I’m in. If not, I’m probably still in.
I’m still holding out on the idea that Hasbro’s going to, eventually, do an Animated Optimus with Face plate and all those geebles in some form. Be it a Selects or Con exclusive, I firmly believe Hasbro’s got something like that cooking.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Honestly, selects seems to be falling off. It seemed like it was getting hit hard and heavy with some cool exclusives. Now we have what, Antagony. What else?

Last edited:

Echowarrior

Citizen
Speaking as someone who missed out on the original, I am very pleased at us getting a new version of Antagony from the Legacy Inferno mold, and would not complain in the slightest if we got Fractyl and Packrat from Kingdom Terrorsaur and Kingdom Packrat.

Top Bottom