G1 Transformers Size, Power, and Mass

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I feel uncomfortable with the Japanese G1’s use of the term “Godmaster” and “God on! “. I’m more comfortable if they would use the term Powermaster and “Power On! “

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I feel uncomfortable with the Japanese G1’s use of the term “Godmaster” and “God on! “. I’m more comfortable if they would use the term Powermaster and “Power On! “
Nope. Powermasters exist in Japanese G1 as a separate concept from Godmasters, even if their toys use the same gimmick function.

Optimus Prime became a Powermaster in Japanese G1 named "Super Convoy", separately from the Godmaster Ginrai. And Super Convoy's Powermaster form was coated in a protective shielding colored black:

Nucleon_quest_convoy.jpg

The word "god" has very different connotations in Japan from those it has in the Western World.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Where'd you hear that? Have them turn on their location. I just want to talk.

It was on another website discussing Bob Budiansky vs Simon Furman:

When I was younger, I'd have said Furman but now I'm not so sure.

I never liked the Wreckers or Kup, some of Furman's favourites, and Galvatron got boring after Target 2006. Not as silly as the cartoon but given the cunning villain he was in T2006, it was disappointing to see him devolve into a one dimensional Looney.

Furman redeemed the character in the US comic until the Ark crashed and he went feral again.

I think Budiansky wrote better characters like Prowl (logical but approachable), Landmine and Cloudburst, Shockwave, Fortress Maximus/Spike, Skullgrin, Trypticon, Blaster, the Battlechargers and even Ratbat who I hated but still recognise him as well written.

Furman did write the best versions of Rodimus Prime, Thunderwing, Scorponok, Blurr and Grimlock but his Autobots tended to be preachy and most of his Decepticons were sadistic thugs. And he unforgivably made Prowl a prick. Bludgeon got boring quickly too. Oh and he did **** up the continuity when he ignored the UK comic which if we're honest, was lazy writing.

Budiansky focused too much on human characters like Circuit Breaker, the Mechanic, RAAT and the Roadjammers which I never liked and his stories were further let down by the art.

I seem to be one of the few people who liked his later stuff like the Mecannibals and the Micromasters stories.

Apart from the Godawful carwash of doom, both writers never went as silly as the cartoon with garbage like Alpha Trion, Orion Pax, Kremzeek, Primacron or Lord Chumley.

The cartoon did write Starscream, Ironhide, Cyclonus and Tracks better than the comic.

I suppose Furman wins in the end but I liked a lot of Budiansky's work and I'll take either of them over Barber.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Where'd you hear that? Have them turn on their location. I just want to talk.
Oh and he did **** up the continuity when he ignored the UK comic which if we're honest, was lazy writing.
Was it, though?

The UK comics were just that: UK comics. They eventually made their way elsewhere years after the fact, but I'm guessing that someone -- Furman, someone at IDW, other -- figured that banking on the number of people they anticipated for RG1 would have read them in order to follow this would be too risky. Considering IDW did the reprints of UK stories -- before RG1, IIRC -- they probably had the numbers to back up whatever the decision was.

Or the new stuff was going to ignore it, anyway, had G1 not been canned. I think they were running Earth Force at the time, if even that, and that wasn't even canon, as I recall.

Apart from the Godawful carwash of doom, both writers never went as silly as the cartoon with garbage like Alpha Trion, Orion Pax, Kremzeek, Primacron or Lord Chumley.
I'm sorry, what? Primacron is kind of walking the line, Kremzeek and Chumley -- well, Kremzeek, at the very least -- were supposed to be silly, but what was wrong with Alpha Trion and Orion Freaking Pax, the pre-Optimus Prime that every continuity but one seems to go with in some form or another?

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Basing your opinion of John Barber on a single sentence from the end of someone's post about Simon Furman on TFW is certainly one way you could do it.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Why does the godmaster truck that Ginrai found at the lot look exactly like G1 Optimus Prime?

The semi-truck is alive so does it have the spirit of G1 Optimus Prime? Or maybe it could be G1 Optimus Prime reincarnated through Lady Mega and Lord Giga?

Someone said previously that the truck was not alive; it was just a transtector. But the Masterforce episode clearly said the semi-truck was alive, a godmaster, and the human who finds it, his soul is fusing with another living being to become one. Sounds a lot like the Powermaster process in the G1 Marvel Comics that brought G1 Optimus Prime back to life as Powermaster Optimus Prime.

So it must be G1 Optimus Prime reincarnated.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Why does the godmaster truck that Ginrai found at the lot look exactly like G1 Optimus Prime?
This won't be answered until after the end of the series, so the show itself never addresses it. The real reason given is that it was originally built to be a new body for Optimus, but was stolen from the factory that built it before it could be given to Optimus.

Though, the weird thing is, the body was built for Optimus thousands of years ago at a time when Optimus was still alive, just asleep aboard the Ark taking his 4-million-year nap. Why the body was built at all when Optimus wasn't dead at the time has never been explained.

he semi-truck is alive so does it have the spirit of G1 Optimus Prime? Or maybe it could be G1 Optimus Prime reincarnated through Lady Mega and Lord Giga?
It's not that the truck is "alive". It's that it's mystical in nature, awaiting the special person destined to bond with it, which is Ginrai.

Last edited:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
For reference: (cued to 1:20)

The godmasters kind of sound like they are born protoforms.

Who are Lord Giga and Lady Giga? What are they? Where did they come from?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The godmasters kind of sound like they are born protoforms.
Masterforce takes place at a point in time before protoform technology exists yet.

Who are Lord Giga and Lady Giga? What are they? Where did they come from?
Basically, they are the husband-and-wife duo who, together, serve as the second-in-command of the Earth-based Decepticons in the series. They are also Godmasters bonded to two very powerful Transtectors (a tank and a jet) that combine together to form the mighty Decepticon named Overlord.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Masterforce takes place at a point in time before protoform technology exists yet.

Basically, they are the husband-and-wife duo who, together, serve as the second-in-command of the Earth-based Decepticons in the series. They are also Godmasters bonded to two very powerful Transtectors (a tank and a jet) that combine together to form the mighty Decepticon named Overlord.

So Overlord is a hermaphrodite? I thought Overlord was a guy.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
By that definition, Tigerhawk is too.

Beast Wars was so far out there and bizarre, nothing came at a surprise. They did whatever they wanted with no regard for the g1 source material. It pretty much did Transformers every which way. I already saw it as an orgie.

Top Bottom