G.I. Joe thread - 02/01 G.I. Joe Day Reveals: Doc, Torch and more

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Oh, hey! Anyone else read the Mole Rat's bios?

They are scientists who flunked out of Cobras Science division and are put to work mining DARK ENERGON and the second Zombie head is them mutated into Dark Energon Zombies!

The Crimson Alley Vipers bio mention that they are sent to quell the strange uprising in the Dark Energon mines when the Mole Rats turn Transformers: Prime-Unicron-Zombies. Cool!

-ZacWilliam, now that it's tied to Transformers I kinda want it.

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
The Mole Rat is a stealth Transformers crossover: Apparently, Mole Rats are Cobra’s diggers/excavators, and this figure shows someone suffering unpleasant side effects from mining a volatile mineral called…Dark Energon! Nifty design.

Shooter is a nice deep cut, and some nice revised details.

The Crimson Alley Viper is REALLY interesting, in terms of redeco. Of all the options, Hasbro opted for the 2010 Pursuit of Cobra deco. That’s a surprisingly “modern” choice for a redeco options for something like the AV.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
G.I. Joe is a highly skilled special operations force of men and women from around the globe. tasked with defending the world from Cobra, a ruthless criminal organization bent on total domination.

Prepared to seek out Cobra in any environment on the planet…wherever there’s trouble, G.I. Joe is there. New to the G.I. Joe Classified Series line, Mole Rat comes ready for adventure, with multiple points of articulation for high poseability.

This Mole Rat figure contains 7 character-inspired accessories including backpack , scanner, cannister, mutated head, and a drill trigger with drill bit and weapon accessory; plus a footlocker to stow all his gear! While Cobra headhunts top scientists and researchers from across the globe, less-qualified recruits wind up as Mole Rats, quarriers and miners seeking new energy sources to power Cobra’s war machine.

Extracting deposits of volatile Dark Energon has sparked certain troopers to become mindless husks bent on destroying anything in their path.

Stealth TF  GI Joe Crossover Figure Gi Joe Classified Series, Cobra Mole Rat (Dark Energon Zom...jpg

Stealth TF  GI Joe Crossover Figure Gi Joe Classified Series, Cobra Mole Rat (Dark Energon Zom...jpg

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
It is interesting that they are creating a new Cobra minion with an overt Transformers connection. The Zombie Viper and Toxo-Zombie were existing Cobra Zombies, but they chose to forge a new path. If I was collecting Classified beyond the BATs, I would be very intrigued by this.

Dake

Citizen
Aside from some labels from Toyhax to detail it up a bit, I'm calling this done. I don't know why I let it sit for so long - this was super easy to disassemble and paint.

Anyway, what do you think of Thrasher's new whip?

VOwd1dM.jpg

SQnBPIM.jpg

aJE01gG.jpg

rnUtZIy.jpg

qw3jNec.jpg

6s6PgMW.jpg

irnv9Z8.jpg

vqe3KIn.jpg

Of course, this demonstrates the problem with more or less true 1:18 vehicles in Joe displays - it absolutely dwarfs everything else. It's the same size as the Mauler! :D

WkZS7eG.jpg

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
That makes an even better Dreadnok machine than a Batmobile!

And, you're right, there was definitely an art to the scale of Joe vehicles; big enough to look realistic next to the Joes, but small enough to keep the cost reasonable.

TriBlurr

Citizen
Glenda is officially unlocked. Dunno if we'll get Crazy Leggs or not. But the last 48 hours of these things can get crazy.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Is this a sign to come from any future media crossovers...
I don’t know…Hasbro has been doing these crossover nods between the franchises for decades, to varying degrees. Obviously, Hasbro and Paramount really seem to be eyeing a crossover film (adding the stinger to Rise of the Beasts), but I’m hesitant to read too much into this aside from a fun nod to GI Joe’s stablemate.

Also, if anyone is interested in Dake’s idea for a new Thunder machine…Amazon still has the base retail version of that Batmobile for $15, though the Amazon exclusive ”dirty bundle” with 3 figures was down to $10 during Prime Day.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
Since June I've re-collecting the 1991 Impel G.I. Joe Trading card set and noticed something.

In the 'Honor Roll' sub-set, marking characters who died in the comic (and some who didn't appear), groups of characters who died in the same way would get the same closing line. Like....

Buried alive in issue #98 "NAME has been missing in action since Cobra Commander had him buried alive inside a cargo ship beneath a volcano."

Those killed in Trucial Abysmia were"...gunned down in cold blood by a ruthless S.A.W.-Viper" or "died valiantly with several of his commrades/teammates in an escape attempt"

While the Cobra-La guys (and Crystal Ball) "..has not been seen of heard from since a massive earthquake seal off the passageway to Cobra-La, and it is unclear whether or not the inhabitants perished in the quake."

However each member of the Battleforce 2000 each has their own description of their demise even though all but one died the same way, BUT it also sort of revels in it.

"Blocker was ripped to shreds while maneuvering between oil storage tanks that were struck by Cobra missiles during the Battle of Benzheen. "
"Avalanche was completely annihilated while maneuvering...."
"Blaster was blown to bits while maneuvering...."
"Maverick was utterly smeared while maneuvering..."
"(Knockdown) was reduced to particles while maneuvering...."

I knew the Battleforce 2000 weren't well liked, but damn.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
I had Dee-Jay (sp?) from Battleforce 2000, but that was it, and he was one of the last Joe figures I bought.

I just looked those up and saw Mega-Marines, too - I had no idea GI Joe had their own over-the-top crazy design and crazy colored G2 era.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
Those killed in Trucial Abysmia were"...gunned down in cold blood by a ruthless S.A.W.-Viper" or "died valiantly with several of his commrades/teammates in an escape attempt"

It was both, iirc. The Joes were being held in a pit and when they made a break for it and tried to climb out the SAW-Viper mowed them down.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
It was both, iirc. The Joes were being held in a pit and when they made a break for it and tried to climb out the SAW-Viper mowed them down.
Specifically, the S.A.W.-Viper was just "taking care of them" and Thunder, Crankcase and Heavy Metal shielded their buddies long enough for Falcon to throw a knife into the SAW viper, knocking him out, letting up the gunfire to get Quick Kick up top to use the Viper's SAW to eliminate any remaining troops effecting their escape with a left behind (A Cobra Rage?) A returning battle group tracked the vehicle down destroying it, killing all (not already dead) but Duke, Falcon, and Cross Country.

but, Yes. Two sets of KIAs from Trucial Abysmia: first set in the pit (Thunder, Heavy Metal, Crankcase) from the S.A.W. Viper, and the second set (Quick Kick, Breaker, Crazy Legs) when the Cobra vehicle they were escaping on exploded.

My point was how there was little difference in the descriptions of those who shared the same fate, except with the BF2K.

And Dee-Jay, I found out, is a weird figure. He was released in 1989. The BF2K (figures and vehicles) were released in 1987 and they (according to yoJoeDOTcom) was discontinued in 1988.

Last edited:

electricidad

Citizen
Walmart orders are live. Grabbed two Mole Rats and a Shooter. Not as interested in the Alley Vipers (although they are, by any objective metric, awesome).

People are allegedly able to order as many as five at Walmart, according to what I saw posted on fwoosh. Pulse seems to be limiting order to two each.

electricidad

Citizen
And it appears Walmart is canceling my two Range Vipers. This is not surprising.

It does come at a time where I’m looking at expenses and cutting back. Still—I think I’d rather be in charge of my own finances, and not Walmart.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Boy, I think I might be irritating Carson Mataxis over on Facebook :p

He's gotten some JUICY stuff concerning GI Joe 1995, with comments from Marketing Director Vinnie D'Alleva. But I had to open my gob and contradict some of the information. Not out of spite, but I felt Mr. D'Allleva's recollections might have been flawed and at odds with what Hasbro was actually DOING at the time. I also questioned using a Style Guide as a hard source for some of this. In particular, the style guide pointed to a 1995 Duke figure as part of Star Brigade, which doesn't make sense on several levels, not least of which was the existence of a 94 Star Brigade Duke figure which would have been cheaper to repaint than commit to a brand new mold.

Top Bottom