Energon Universe - ongoing Transformers and G.I. Joe comics from Skybound

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Setting aside stuff that will get people bad-faithing at me, Duke felt here a lot like Jetfire did in Void Rivals. Whoa, it's a character from something! Now he's leaving and taking his plot significance with him. Read his comic when it comes out!

I think this is my biggest concern about this whole shared universe thingy. Since it's explicitly so right from the start, hopefully all the writers involved have a shared vision or roadmap that will come together eventually and make sense to us readers. So far (I am a couple issues behind, tho), it seems like all the crossovers have been less than vital to the stories currently being told, and exist just to remind everyone that it's a shared universe.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
You're like, that's your opinion man, while texting me a wall of text about my opinion.

We disagree.
Here's the problem my man.
You can have your opinion and if you genuinely don't like it that's cool.

But when you try to claim this is nothing but punches, kicks, and shooting that's not your opinion. You're just wrong.

Setting aside stuff that will get people bad-faithing at me...
People disagreeing with you aren't bad faith'ing at you.

I think this is my biggest concern about this whole shared universe thingy. Since it's explicitly so right from the start, hopefully all the writers involved have a shared vision or roadmap that will come together eventually and make sense to us readers. So far (I am a couple issues behind, tho), it seems like all the crossovers have been less than vital to the stories currently being told, and exist just to remind everyone that it's a shared universe.
The shared universe is a catch 22. Lean too much into it and you're accused of just using stuff to advertise other stuff. Lay back from making references and you're not taking advantage of the shared universe setting. Not saying these are from the same fickle people, but they tend to be complaints that pop up with stuff like this.

What I see here between TF #2 and VR #1 is that they're trying to strike a balance but with all things aiming for the middle it's not an exact science and won't be to everyone's tastes.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
What I see here between TF #2 and VR #1 is that they're trying to strike a balance but with all things aiming for the middle it's not an exact science and won't be to everyone's tastes.

It is also early days for these titles. We are still in the world-building stages of all these stories, so it's a little soon to judge how well they are really handling it. If these crossovers are still 2-page hi-and-bye moments a couple years from now, then maybe they need to work on their approach. Right now, there's simply not enough material available to know if this is the new status quo or not.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
It's certainly not the worst way to do a shared universe, but it's not exactly the best, either.
My argument in favour of it is that, aside from the post-credit sting, the only hint at a wider Marvel universe in the first Iron Man is the name dropping of SHIELD.

And given how early we are in this EU run we're still very much in that territory.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Yes, correct. So if I make a reference to people arguing in bad faith, I don't just mean disagreeing with me. Glad that's settled.
I've seen "arguing in bad faith" tossed around too many times by people- here and elsewhere- when they just don't want to acknowledge a disagreement, so sorry not sorry.

This is a message board. It's meant to be a place of discussion. Say what you want to say, and if someone does come in with a legit bad faith argument then... well... those tend to be self-evident.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I finally got the issue! I liked it!

I think the writing is fine. Even "pretty good" in places. It's not blowing my socks off, but it's solid enough for me. There are moments, though.

The violence does seem to be the biggest issue for people. It's something we haven't really dealt with a lot in the Transformers comics. At least not quite like this. But, the violence does serve to illustrate a deeper point, so it's not just there to be excessive and grindhouse-y. Mind you, that deeper point boils down to "The good guys care about life, and the bad guys don't", so I don't really blame people for being put off when the message is pretty much that simple. But, I also have to give them credit for showing us this, instead of just telling us. They are illustrating their point well. But, there's also a bit of..."glee" in some of this violence. But, it's actually kind of fitting for some of it, because of who's doing it in the issue. It's easy to be put off by it, but it's not bothering me, personally, too much, yet. We'll see how it ends up developing.

But, honestly? DWJ does know how to draw a action scene! If the art in the action scenes weren't as good as it is, this book would be a lot harder to defend. But, DWJ is able to convey this sense of "speed" in some of these panels that just make the action scenes exciting for me.

So, I'd still say this is a good comic. It's not quite a GREAT comic, yet. That's going to depend on how all this plays out. But, this could all very easily lead into something great. For now, I'd say this is a solid issue.

So, yeah. Optimus Prime starting off bathing in the magnificence of this majestic forest...only to end up flattening a poor, helpless deer is a little much. This just ruins his day....and maybe some animal lovers in the audience have their day ruined, too, who don't come to Transformers comic for something like this. But...Optimus being SHOWN how fragile this world is compared to Cybertron does hit. It leads to a good scene. I can understand people who think it's distasteful or excessive, but it does make the conversation between Optimus and Spike hit harder. There are consequences to bringing their war to this world. It illustrates the stakes. It's a good metaphor.

I also really like this shot of Cybertron in the background. Something about it just helps sell the scale of it. It's "lit" well, I think.

And, hey, we get our first glimpse of Megatron! He probably won't be in these first issues (especially if you've been looking at the solicits for the Cobra Commander mini), but I wonder if he'll either be the villain for the second arc or...maybe the cause of the first crossover.

And, hey, Cliffjumper! He's totally freaked out by these bags of walking meat, and I can't blame him. It's something we don't get to see a lot of. The Transformers not really "understanding" organic life. It's another nice moment when he realizes he's being rude, too. This is probably the only time we're going to get something like this, but I'm kind of glad we had this little moment.

And you know what? I even kind of appreciate seeing Optimus using his Trailer as a actual repair bay for other Transformers. We REALLY don't see that often, anymore. I think IDW might have done it once, but it's possible we haven't seen him use it like this since the Marvel comics. For such a big feature of the original toy, it gets overlooked a lot.

And, again, Optimus is just ready to whip out the Matrix, right here and right now. He wants to use it SO BAD! Optimus is a nudist in this continuity...that's my headcanon. He just wants to let the Matrix hang out in the breeze! Just itching to flash anyone in sight with his Matrix energy at any given time. Also, we establish that the Matrix is tied to Optimus' very life force! That's probably going to be important later!

And Starscream stomps on another human. I will note...it's always been Starscream who's done this so far. Even Skywarp just smashed a police car that didn't have anyone actually inside of it. Starscream is being shown as the only Decepticon going out of his way to kill the locals, and I think that's probably on purpose. Starscream's probably going to be getting comeuppance by the end of this arc, I would guess.

"CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!" At least Skywarp's having a fun time.

Is it ironic that Duke is piloting a "Viper"? I know that's a real jet, but still. That's GOT to be on purpose. But, yeah, this is just a cameo to lead into the Duke mini. But, it's not a BAD cameo. It makes sense, and it doesn't feel forced. This early on, this is actually a good way to build up the universe. And it's giving us a reason why Duke would have a grudge against Transformers.

And this is just a REALLY well done dogfight scene. This art does action good! Starscream transforming in mid-air is just neat to see.

And Starscream swats one pilot like a fly. Again, I like that it's the LOGO that's gory, not really the scene itself. It's a good way to show the violence without being too gory about it. It's....tastefully done slaughter, at least.

Also...these pilots had winged jetpacks. That should have clued us in to these being Joes before we even saw Duke's nametag.

Laserbeak's following Carly, that can't lead to anything good.

And here we have something interesting, when Carly learns her father is dead. Now, we have three different main humans in this cast, and they ALL have different perspectives on the Transformers. Spike seems to be COMPLETELY on the side of the Autobots. Sparkplug seems to be heading towards wanting to DESTROY ALL MECHS! And Carly...Carly's kind of in the middle. Carly's dad was killed by Decepticons...but she's also seen them be good people. It's going to be interesting to see what Carly ends up doing, later. I don't know if they're just going to end up having her be the peacemaker between father and son later, or if they're heading towards something else.

Over in the letters page, they're offering a prize for naming the letter's page itself. They don't say what the prize is, though. Makes me curious about it. I'm never any good at these mailbag naming contests.

Also, if you haven't googled "Kenta Kobashi Burning Hammer" yet:

But, the most hearbreaking thing...Lil' Danny never did find his Optimus' hands! That's terrible! But, I guess I'm glad I got closure on this epic story. There's a pretty good chance he's going to end up with dozens of little baggies of Optimus hands mailed to him in the future.

Last edited:

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Setting aside stuff that will get people bad-faithing at me, Duke felt here a lot like Jetfire did in Void Rivals. Whoa, it's a character from something! Now he's leaving and taking his plot significance with him. Read his comic when it comes out!

We'll have to see what happens in the Duke comic, but given that he's an earthling I suspect his title will be far more tied to the Transformers. Whereas Jetfire literally jetted off across the galaxy, then died shortly after reaching Earth, likely to never interact with the Agorrians and Zertonians ever again.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I've seen "arguing in bad faith" tossed around too many times by people- here and elsewhere- when they just don't want to acknowledge a disagreement, so sorry not sorry.

This is a message board. It's meant to be a place of discussion. Say what you want to say, and if someone does come in with a legit bad faith argument then... well... those tend to be self-evident.
So have I, and I've also seen too many people use the template "people disagreeing with you isn't ______" to dismiss valid objections to things other people are saying.

I think I should point out, also, that I was referring to a hypothetical response to an opinion I have not actually shared and that may not be what you assume.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
So have I, and I've also seen too many people use the template "people disagreeing with you isn't ______" to dismiss valid objections to things other people are saying.

I think I should point out, also, that I was referring to a hypothetical response to an opinion I have not actually shared and that may not be what you assume.
Not to toot this place's horn too much but this isn't TFW2005 😅

I think some takes here- like accusing SkyBound's two issues of being nothing but shooting and action- are off because that's just not what the comic is. But overall I think the level of discourse here is pretty good even if we don't always agree

Maruten

Citizen
Caught up on all this Skybound nonsense. Void Rivals is aggressively Okay, but I really likethe first two issues of Transformers. I didn't realise we had a writer/artist on the book. I'm not thrilled about the whole 80s-G1-wake-up-on-Earth thing, but that sort of made me wonder what I DO want from a TF book and I don't really know the answer so I should probably shut up.

Anyway, it's early yet and we'll see where things go. I hope we do get some original characters or interesting new takes on old characters.

Love the art. Particularly all the mid-transformation panels, dude seems to love them and they're a lot of fun.

I genuinely can't believe they got Williamson for the Joe books. He is a BIG deal at DC lately and his best work is spectacular, so I have high hopes for the Energon Universe right now.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
Issue two was great, agreed with many of the posts above: the opening convo with Optimus is the highlight of the series so far (besides DWJ's fantastic Art-with-a-capital-A). In fact, I was surprised to find myself "hearing" Peter Cullen's voice during Prime's speech, and I'm not sure I've ever done that, not with Marvel, DW, or IDW, or even last issue. In fact, I don't generally "hear" voices at all when I'm reading comics, but Cullen just came through crystal clear.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
February solicitations are out!

Still no Void Rivals.

But, it looks like we're getting Baroness!

The cover and solicit for Transformers is VERY interesting. But, I'm guessing we're not getting Megatron quite yet, given the Free Comic Book Day issue. So, who's the Decepticon Starscream's going to revive? It can't be Trypticon already, right?

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
So, I FINALLY made it to the comic shop to get Void Rivals #6 (which was out weeks ago, surprised no one had anything to say about it) and Transformers #3!

For Void Rivals #6...I'm a little surprised that we didn't get more than we actually did this issue. I really was expecting a twist here before this comic takes a break until... *slight spoilers for the letters page*....March of next year!

This issue is...par for the course for this comic, so far. Things ARE happening...but it's all stuff I don't much care about, yet. And we ARE getting teases of SOMETHING involving the Transformers...but it's just teases and I'm not sure where they're going with it, even now.

So...yeah...I can't blame people if they drop this book, or already have. It's not really great at grabbing you. It's solid. I can't say anything too bad about it. It's just...all the characters look so similar that it's hard to keep them all straight now. And I don't really care about these particular aliens yet, since we don't have much of a emotional core for this book. It doesn't have nostalgia to carry it, or a fun toyetic hook yet. Things are just kind of happening. Not much to really get excited about. I'm really more curious where they're going with it rather than excited to see where it goes.

I'm...really hoping this picks up when we return. Because, even the cliffhanger we get this issue isn't much to write home about.

So, at least the main guy had the Rebellion save the girl that was in jail! That was really nice of him. We don't learn anything about that "thumb-drive" or "Key to Vector Sigma" looking thing that she has, though. So...not much to report there.

We get another TWO WHOLE PAGES of the Skuxxoid showing the Quintessons the Zertonian's ship. The Quintessons just let him skedaddle out of there. And the Quintesson's seem VERY interested that one of their "rebellious child"'s projects still survives. I'm not sure if this means that a Quintessons made these aliens, or if they MIGHT be talking about Solus or Quintus. I'm curious where they're going with this but...we don't get much but vague hints. And I can understand people being sick of that 6 issues in. It's promising GREAT stuff...later. But not now. Which isn't very exciting.

So, the rest of the issue is everyone sneaking through the slums to another area. They get attacked. It's fun to look at, but...again, since we don't know these characters all that well it's hard to care right now.

We get MORE teases though. As the evil leader says that they're trying to stop the coming of the Goliant. And that in order to hunt these guys down they'll have to revivie...PROXIMUS! ....whoever that is...

This book is really into more TEASING interesting things rather than giving us much meat for us to gnaw on right now. This book needs to step things up. And I'm sure Kirkman is planning to, eventually. I'm not sure if he's going to do it soon enough to keep people invested in this book, though.

Transformers #3 is almost the exact opposite, though. Because this issue we get a thoughtful deep dive into a character's psyche and some really exciting revelations about....

Heh. I'm just kidding. This book is all about the fights and the spectacle! This book gives us some REALLY exciting action scenes. And it's carrying the book, because everything else is a little standard.

Again, I'll say Carly has the most interesting potential out of anyone in this book so far. Which is something I didn't expect to say going into this originally.

But yeah. This book is all about the BOOMS! Fights galore! More violence than you've grown to expect from a Transformers comic! And I'm still having fun with this.

But, I totally understand it not being everyone's cup of tea. But what we ARE getting is done pretty well. It's succeeding at what it's trying to do. And that's really all I want out of it right now.

Again, I'm hoping we get something a little more substantial later. But for now, this is still a lot of fun, even just to look at.

I already predicted it, but they really do seem to be positioning Carly as the middle ground between Sparkplug's anti-robot stance, and Spike's pro-Autobot stance. She isn't doing too much yet, but I could see this paying off in later issues.

Cliffjumper tackling Laserbeak is a great panel. I really don't know what Sparkplug thinks a gun is going to do to a "metal man", though. He's just going to get himself shot from the ricochet.

Also, Sparkplug's hijacked police car is TOTALLY going to be scanned by Prowl, eventually. If you look, it's license plate even says "Murder Falcon" in teensie tiny letters. Which was a previous book of DWJ that you all should check out!

The Decepticons still don't have the resources they need. Starscream still doesn't want to talk about Megatron (We don't talk about Megatron-on-on-on). And Skywarps just enjoying himself a Big Gulp-sized cup of Energon. This comic is so delightfully dumb sometimes.

So, Sparkplug took Carly to a bar where a bunch of other survivalists are gathering. Cliffjumper tries to make peace, but Sparkplug just shoots at him some more. I guess Sparkplug has access to some really big guns! Again, the panel of Sparkplug just unloading on Cliffjumper and blowing him out the bar door is just HIGH ART!

Carly ends up trying to protect Cliffjumper when Skywarp attacks. Then we get a whole two-page spread of Optimus just ramming Skywarp while in vehicle mode. It's beautiful.
Skywarp can apparently just teleport PARTS of his body to different places, leading to some fun fight choreography. Skywarps attacking while Optimus takes two pages to try and get his Laser-Axe to form. With more wrestling moves, which is kind of fun to see.

Sparkplug and the other humans start using bazookas and other weapons...on Optimus, which IS kind of dumb, and even Skywarp calls them out on that one. I mean, I guess with all the chaos happening around them, they probably haven't been paying very close attention to what's happening, but...geez, this makes them look like a bunch of yokels. Who have access to bazookas.

Spike ends up getting shot in the crossfire. And...it's almost funny, given all the larger chaos we've seen so far. The shot that hit Spike is so small by comparison. It's definitely done on purpose to make the contrast work. And...it DOES work!

So, Optimus has finally had enough and starts RIPPING HIS OWN ARM OFF so that he can beat Skywarp with it. Nice use of the damage that Sparkplug caused. Again, this comic can be dumb...but it's a beautiful kind of dumb.

And then Optimus finally can get to Spike. Sparkplug threatens to shoot Optimus. Optimus transforms into vehicle mode. "I'm going to save your boy" Perfect. This is a GREAT cliffhanger. Just a great moment for Optimus. Simple, but effective.

These issue ALSO give us a preview of the Cobra Commander miniseries. The art doesn't do too much for me. And that one line about Cobra Commander having a "toy" is a little cutesy, if you KNOW what he's talking about from solicits. And if you have a problem with the violence in the Transformers book....umm...you're probably not going to like THIS, either. But, I am tempted to check it out, just to see where they're going with it in this universe.

That Cobra symbol drawn in the blood MUST be from Cobra Commander's bootprint, right? There's NO way that just happened randomly or that Cobra Commander just stopped to make a little calling card in some guy's blood, right?

Last edited:

Magnusblitz

Citizen
TF #3 continues to have some really good fight sequences, but I'm starting to wish the actual plot began moving forward. We're still largely in the same place as the end of #1, it feels. And while it's certainly logical/sensible, I've just never really cared for the whole "humans initially can't/don't distinguish between the Autobots and Decepticons" plot.

That said this issue will always be remembered as "the one where Optimus ripped his own arm so he could beat Skywarp with it".

And yeah that preview actually turned me off buying the Cobra Commander mini I think, the art and decompression (four pages for CC to carjack a dude, mostly off-panel?) isn't doing it for me.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
TF #3 continues to have some really good fight sequences, but I'm starting to wish the actual plot began moving forward. We're still largely in the same place as the end of #1, it feels. And while it's certainly logical/sensible, I've just never really cared for the whole "humans initially can't/don't distinguish between the Autobots and Decepticons" plot.
Full disclosure, that aspect is one of the reasons I always preferred the Marvel comcs to the cartoon (where most humans accepted the Autobots as the good guys rather too easily), but I do think that particular thread has been pulled, so I don't need to see that much more of it (especially not the way these folks are doing it. Let's not rehash the why again. If you really want to know, you can find my previous comments).

Shadewing

Citizen
Void Rivals: I'd kinda honestly forgot about it, read issue 6 and... well... I don't think I'll be returning to it, unless I hear really good stuff about its next arc. With it not being till March, maybe they can fix the slow pacing and make it a tighter story. Right now its just really meandering.

Transformers: I kinda feel like the human side of things will start to resolve next issue. I think what we're seeing here is a perfectly viable responce when we're still at first contact, more or less. Spike and Carly have seen that the Autobots aren't bad guys; but Sparkplug has only seen Starscream and him going on a murder spree. It's perfectly logical that right now he sees them as all the same, more so with his vietnam(?) background. But if he does take Prime up on his offer, and he does get to see that Prime and the Autobots care; then he might come around to being an ally which might help turn the others in his makeshift militia around as well. I'm not too hung up on the human/tf conflict just yet becuase right now it feels logical and works realistically, and if it is going to be somewhat resolved in the next few issues then it's mostly served its purpose.

As for the fight scene, that was wonderful all around, and I really do like seeing Skywarp's teleportation powers being used rather creatively here. I like how these fights have all been more then shooting fests. And I like how even one Decepticon is able to be trouble for multiple Autobots, it really helps balance out their, usually, smaller numbers. It was something I also liked about Animated.

Cobra Commander: I mentioned before, but I absolutely love the idea of them using "Shooting Star!" from Marvel Comics in a more interesting way with Cobra Commander. I think I actually look forward to this more then the Duke series, tbh.

Top Bottom