Energon Universe - ongoing Transformers and G.I. Joe comics from Skybound

Shadewing

Citizen
Okay, so CC#1 wasn't the story I thought it would be, but I think I really like it and what they are doing. I think this might be the next best route they could have gone with this and it still be really interesting.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
April Solicitations are out!

The cover for Transformers #7 is probably a spoiler. So fair warning on that.

Discussion spoilers:
Well, looks like Soundwave and the cassettes aren't making it past the first arc. Sounds like the second arc might be Decepticon focused, so that's kind of cool.

Duke has a "last page shocker". Place your bets now, folks! I'll say...Robo-Joe? I feel like the claw on the cover should be familiar, but I can't place it. *Googles* Oh, it looks like it's probably the claw of a Cobra BAT. Okay, that makes sense.

Looks like Nemesis Enforcer is on the Cobra Commander cover, so the Cobra-La stuff IS continuing after the first issue.

And Void Rivals....exists. I'll read it when it comes back, but I'll admit, a fight against some random guy doesn't really excite me.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Duke #2 is out!

This continues to be a GI Joe origin comic, for sure. Basically nothing in this about the Transformers, though. But, I still say this is pretty well done. The characters seem to be written in character, as far as I can tell. The action is exciting. There's some neat "first appearances" for this universe. It's a good comic. I just don't have a lot to say about it. Basically, just saying that this continues to be solid.

I will have some spoilers below, though, this time. Including spoiling the last page. You've been warned!
Was it TOO MUCH restraint that Clutch wasn't Mutt and Junkyard instead, given that he runs a auto-yard? I dunno, I just would've liked to see the dog, I guess.

I do wonder if "Sherry" was supposed to be someone we were supposed to know? I could see that being a cameo of someone.

They mention that the device Duke has is weird. I'm betting it's leading him to another Cybertronian, eventually. I mean, I guess all the super-tech and BATS and stuff are all probably reverse-engineered from Cybertronian tech, anyway. But, I'm guessing another Transformer will make a cameo by the end of the miniseries.

Using The Pit as a off-the-books holding facility is kind of a nice touch. I assume they'll eventually turn their own jail into their secret base against Cobra.

Oh, and the first appearance of the Baroness! From the looks of things, she might start out on the Joe side of things. If she isn't straight-out a double agent from the get-go that is. I could see them making the Baroness a Joe at the start just to throw a little curve into the story, so I could see it going either way.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
And, we have some really spoilery news about Void Rivals. A...certain character will be appearing in Void Rivals. I'm guessing they want to boost sales, because it feels a bit random

Yes, Springer will be appearing in Void Rivals #9. I assume the Wreckers can't be too far behind. Then again, with how cartoon-focused this universe has been so far, maybe it's just the start of introducing the Movie/Season 3 cast into the universe?

Although, I doubt that Springer will turn out to be Zerta, the Void Rival cast's "god". I AM expecting Zerta to turn out to be someone we know, but I don't think Springer will be it.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Transformers #5 is out today!

And it continues to be good! Lotsa good fights! And we even get a few nice character moments, too. There's even a few big characters who make their first appearance in this universe, so we're expanding the cast. But, the action continues to be the main draw. Not much has changed. But, we look to be heading for a big finale for this arc.

You know, this little bonding moment between Optimus and Sprakplug is actually really nice. It's actually pretty well done and a nice moment away from the action.

I do like how Thundercracker thinks a Autobot is the one who ripped apart Skywarp. Hmmm....whenever Starscream gets his comeuppance it's going to be EPIC!

Soundwave wanting to bring back Ravage first was sweet. Although...maybe Starscream was right in this particular instance. If you want firepower, maybe the tiny ones can wait.

They end up bringing back Arcee. And she's confirmed to be a "warrior" in this universe. I wonder how close they'll end up going with IDW's take on her personality. Because, I doubt they'll end up giving her the same origin as IDW Arcee. And she has a little moment with Ratchet. Cute. I'm not sure if that's leading to anything, and it's weird that Arcee and Ratchet have some sort of past together, but it's nice. It's different.

Also, I kind of like the moment between Wheel-half and Sparkplug. The Autobots COULD be really helpful to humans....if Decepticons didn't blow everything up.

Optimus gets a few really great action moments. Slamming Decepticons to the ground and atomizing them with Megatron's cannon. The action in this series continues to be top notch.

Oh, and then Carly decides she wants to tag along for the big, epic fight. That'll end well, I'm sure.

And then we get the OTHER big reveal for this issue. Devastator is here! I should have seen it coming, but I didn't think they'd introduce combiners this early in the series. But, yeah, DWJ's going to have a field day adding a giant to the fight. This fight's gonna be good!

Magnusblitz

Citizen
EDIT: Spoiler tagging since the digital releases got delayed.

]Starscream punting Ravage is 100% going to bite him in the ass.

Kinda disappointed Perceptor was miscolored, but hey, it is a Transformers comic... and maybe this means Perceptor is still alive, it's just his poor buddy Red Ceptalert who's dead!

What sort of car does Arcee turn into? It looked sorta Lambo-ish to me, but I am definitely not a car person so could be way off.

Carly, love the spunk, but you're not going to be doing much with a pistol against a jet fighter...

Also was (pleasantly) surprised by the Constructicons showing up so soon. I think this might be the first time (in G1 at least, I think the movies got it right) that Long Haul's size has been accurately portrayed? The shot of him slamming into Prime was even more of an "oooh no" moment than the final page. I really hope they stick around long enough to get some individual personality, though most of the book has been so action heavy that, apart from Prime and Starscream, most of the characterization has just been themed quips like Jazz's music references or Reflector's camera puns.

Last edited:

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
I went to download my issue #5 from Amazon, but it said the e-version won't be released until Feb 21st...?!

Shadewing

Citizen
Got to Read TF #5 and CC#2 today. TF#5 does indeed give a lot of good action and character moments, its going to be interesting to see where this arc concludes. CC#2 feels like a much quicker read, we get a bit of stuff from Buzzer and Ripper being the backwoods Hillbillies that Horror Movies tend to like. Not a whole lot of advancement otherwise; but its pretty cool seeing the Thunder Machine here when the Crossover one has just been released.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Read Cobra Commander #2! It's still solid. Not much more to say about it. It's a fun book. And it IS teasing a bit more with...the big character from the first issue. They're not done with that, yet. I am curious where they're going with that.

But, yeah, mostly violent fights this issue. It keeps things entertaining, but it doesn't leave us with a lot to really talk about.

I'm still not sure who this "Protector" guy is supposed to be. I'm still waffling between Zartan or Nemesis Enforcer. But, we haven't seen him change his face yet, so I'm leaning toward Nemesis Enforcer at this point. Or maybe it's someone else entirely. I feel like the book isn't giving us a lot of hints. For a twist...could this be Spike's brother? The one we thought died? Maybe Jimmy the astronaut didn't actually die in that explosion, after all?

More interestingly, Pythona is doing...SOMETHING with Megatron. Or someone at least. I'm assuming it's Megatron at this point, since we don't see who it is. Putting some sort of face-hugger on him. That might lead to something interesting. Maybe some sort of bio-tech mind control thing?

And by the end of the issue Cobra Commander is dropped into some swamp water filled with crocodile...mutant...things. If I'm supposed to recognize these things, I don't. They have "spikes" and glowing eyes, so I think the Energon in the area has mutated them. So, that'd be a interesting plot point for future issues.

MrBlud

Citizen
The writing indicates the person she was talking to is “The Protector” which almost assuredly is Nemesis Enforcer.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Solicitations for May are out!

They...keep spoiling the reveals on the covers, so I'll put them in spoilers.

And some discussion about said solicitations.
Springer's showing up in Void Rivals, but I've mentioned that before.

Cobra Commander's making a deal with someone. My guess is...Destro? They haven't met in this universe, yet, so I guess it makes sense for them to meet. Especially, since they've been on some covers together.

I'm not sure if the Energon Universe Special is just a reprint of the Free Comic Book Day special, or if it actually has new material in it. But..um..if you miss the Free version...you can probably pick this up for $4? Okay.

And the biggest spoilers...that they seem to have redacted in the actual solicit text. Elita-1 is showing up in Transformers. Cool. It sounds like we'll get to see more of what's happening on Cybertron, too. Neat.

These solicits are pretty sort. So, I'm thinking something kinda big will happen in that FCBD Energon Universe issue. Something they're trying to avoid talking about. Or...not?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Duke #3 is out!

It's still solid. We get some talkin'. We get some fightin'. I'm still enjoying it for what it is. I just don't have a ton to say about it.

I do find it amusing that, no matter what, the Baroness HAS to be wearing black at all times.

Johnny Here

Citizen
Transformers is growing on me
If this series is going to go with human deaths and anyone can die, I really wished they didn't have have Carly try to shoot down Decepticoms

If this comic gets a new artist or a writer that does a change in tone ita going to be jarring

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Void Rivals #7 is out! After 4 months of waiting!

And it's...still about on par with the previous issues. We do see the introduction of the hot new character, Proxima! Wait...ProxIMUS! I meant Proximus. I don't know why I keep mixing those names up in my head. The character kind of has a interesting thing going on. There's a sequence with him that's pretty well done.

But, there's even less Transformers in this issue than normal, since we don't get any cameos. So, if you're just in this for the Transformers tie-in, there's not much here to really interest you. Although, the letters page does tease MUCH more Skuxxoid. So...hooray?

But, there are a few neat visuals in the issue. And the introduction of a more direct villainous threat might up the ante in the next few issues.

I don't know, it just still feels like this book is stalling for some reason? I kind of just wish they'd get to the point already? It's fine. The art and writing is all solid enough, even if I do feel like they need to do a little more. I feel like with one good twist it could get MUCH more interesting quickly. But, it's just not quite there yet. The book's still missing something. And I DO still feel like there's a twist coming, but they're just holding off the reveal until later for some reason. Maybe for that Free Comic Book Day special?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
And we now know that Scarlett and Destro will be getting their own miniseries to replace the Duke and Cobra Commander minis ending soon.

The link below contains covers and the first few pages of each first issue.

Covers:
Scarlett_01C_Cover_RGB.jpg

Destro_01A_Cover_RGB.jpg

Thoughts on some of the text:
It sounds like Scarlett will eventually find Snake Eyes in her mini.

And Tomax and Xamot are showing up in Destro's mini.

Assuming we get at least one more round of miniseries for GI Joe, I'm guessing Baroness and Snake Eyes will get their own minis after these end. I don't know how long they're planning these various miniseries, though. I honestly halfway expected a full GI Joe book after Duke and Cobra Commander ended.

Shadewing

Citizen
After the most recent issue of Duke, I'd be all for a Baroness Mini; she seems like she'll be a very interesting character here. And Destro has always been one of Cobra's most interesting characters with a lot of potential; and it makes sense that he'd get a Mini since he's currently the main antanogist of the Joe side of the story.

I suppose it makes sense to give the trinity of each side their own Minis to introduce them and this world, since GIJoe is the less popular of the two franchises. Most people are reading this for the TF stuff, so a slow burn on how the Joes and Cobra come to be feels like a good way to try to get people interested in that story.

Top Bottom