Energon Universe - ongoing Transformers and G.I. Joe comics from Skybound

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Solicitations for March are out!

For some reason Transfromers and Duke don't show up in the main Image comic list. I found them, though!
I guess we get to see who Proximus is on the Void Rivals cover. I'm...underwhelmed. All these designs are just too same-y.

It's still weird that Cobra seems to have existed before Cobra Commander took it over in his miniseries.

And it sounds like ONE WILL FALL in the Transformers comic. Place your bets, folks! Who's gonna die?!

My bet's on Sparkplug, because that's maybe the most dramatic thing they can do, turning Spike against the Transformers. Spike's possible, but I think he's safe since he's ALREADY injured. Carly's probably safe. And MAYBE it'll be Starscream since his "arc" will probably be over by this miniseries. But, really, after establishing that most Transformers can be repaired from the sort of damage we've already seen in this series, any Transformer "death" would have a muted impact since they can just be repaired. So, it's probably one of the three humans.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Duke #1 is out!

And I'd say it's good. I'm not AS into GI Joe as I am with Tranformers. So, I really don't know if this is going to satisfy longtime GI Joe fans or not. But, for what it's worth, I think it's a perfectly solid book.

The concept behind this feels a little like the GI Joe Renegades cartoon (which I guess is a little bit of a spoiler, but not TOO much, I think). Only gritter, and focused on Duke. And this is continuing the trend of ALL the Energon Universe books being more violent than you might expect. So, you've been warned.

The Transformer involvement is limited to just showing what happens with Duke after his first meeting with Starscream over in the main Transformers book. So, if you were ONLY checking this out for the Transformers involvement, I'm sorry to say there doesn't seem to be much. I think it's skippable if you only care about the Transformers side of things. Then again, who knows? I DO have a feeling we'll be getting a Transformers/GI Joe crossover sooner rather than later. This miniseries MIGHT have some sort of hook important to that potential crossover. Then again, I get the feeling this is really just setting up the actual formation of GI Joe, itself.

But, the book itself is solid. It's setting up it's mysteries well. There's some conspiracy stuff happening. It introduces a few other Joes and villains, and in ways that feel more or less unique. I like the artwork. It's a solid book. I just can't really comment much more on it, not being the biggest GI Joe fan in the world.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Was just thinking the other day that given this universe didn't start with Transformers, it would have been neat if we'd gone through some other comics with very recognizable vehicles in the background before the big reveal that those vehicles were, in fact, more than meets the eye, and are really robots in disguise.

...though I think that's been brought up before.

Still, though.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Yeah issue #4 was great. Really felt like things are moving along again, and quite a few striking panels... definitely was not expecting Optimus' arm replacement, even with the "what's in the trailer?" moment beforehand. And I loved the scene with the kid being awestruck at Prime turning into a truck.

As for the last page...
Is Megatron('s corpse) supposed to be in the Arctic (ala the 2007 film?) I guess the straightforward explanation is that someone ripped his arm off and he got ejected from the Ark either during or immediately prior to it crashing, and the arm was among the stuff Ratchet gathered in haste in #1.

(And then judging from the Cobra Commander previews, CC goes to the snow and finds Megs, or is Megs, etc.)

Was just thinking the other day that given this universe didn't start with Transformers, it would have been neat if we'd gone through some other comics with very recognizable vehicles in the background before the big reveal that those vehicles were, in fact, more than meets the eye, and are really robots in disguise.

Yeah that would've been a pretty cool thing to do, though it would've probably required starting with a GIJOE related book first. And I think Transformers is probably the much bigger draw to kick off a shared universe with.

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
I’m a bit confused by Starscream and Soundwave

I get cannibalizing Skywarp for parts but then they start throwing a bunch of other bodies together into…what?

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
https://www.thepopverse.com/transfo...el-warren-johnson-image-comic-skybound-hasbro
(note, has a cover of #7 which may be somewhat spoiler-y)

Looks like a new artist as of #7, though DWJ will still be writing. Spicer will still be the colorist and Corona's artwork looks somewhat similar in style to DWJ's.

Yeah, it was revealed early on that DWJ was only doing the first 6-issue arc. I didn't realize he was continuing on as writer, though. (Definitely won't complain there!)

I’m a bit confused by Starscream and Soundwave

I get cannibalizing Skywarp for parts but then they start throwing a bunch of other bodies together into…what?

The wiki described that as Reflector being rebuilt, which I mostly made out. My real question was, if Cybertronian tech is all that's needed to start repairs, well, there's still a ship full of 'Bot and 'Con corpses for them to utilize. (Unless it's like, you can only bring dead TFs back to life using living parts or something.)

MrBlud

Citizen
There’s also a giant ass Cybertronian ship that would make far more sense to raid for parts/tech over disposing of your own troops.

Of course, thinking isn’t exactly Starscream’s strong suit.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There’s also a giant ass Cybertronian ship that would make far more sense to raid for parts/tech over disposing of your own troops.

Of course, thinking isn’t exactly Starscream’s strong suit.
I haven't read yet (waiting for the trade), but if they follow precedent, using something like the Ark might be more akin to looking at a bicycle for parts to replace your missing leg (for want of a better analogy).

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
There is also the fact that the Ark is the only known starship on Earth, with who knows how much damage. While they COULD have scavenged parts from the Ark, it might impair their ability to repair the ship later on. Starscream likely viewed his fellow soldiers as more expendable than trying to tear apart the only starship on the planet.

Shadewing

Citizen
As for issue 4 itself:

I'm glad to see I was right about Human relations, with Spike injured and Optimus Saving him, Sparkplug quickly changes his opinion. I feel the whole "saving a hospital" thing and Sparkplug now supporting them will go a long way in helping at least the locals be friendly. I'm sure this won't be the the absolute last of it, what with Duke and them, but its right now doesn't seem to be a bg ongoing thing.

I'll admit that I too don't really get Starscream's plan here. Sacraficing a soilder to build another? Like I get that the ship probably can;t be used to fix them either the base compatibilities or just a 'want to get off this mudball eventually' but trading Skywarp for Reflector seems like a downgrade regardless.

I'm now curious how Megatron and Cobra Commander tie together, if they do, with that shot of Megatron on ice.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I'm not reading the comic, but everything I've read about it suggests they're sacrificing A soldier to build ALL THE OTHER SOLIDIERS.

That's a rather important difference.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
And did it have to be an Alive soldier? Besides the other Decepticons, isn't Bumblebee's remains still at the Ark?

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I mean, it might well be that cannibalizing an "alive" Decepticon is advantageous. If nothing else, he'd have energon in him, which is one of the issues Ratchet is running into trying to revive Autobots.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Finally made it to the comic shop to pick up Transformers #4 and Cobra Commander #1!

As for Transformers #4, it's more of what we've come to expect. Great art. Brutal violence. Solid writing. I'm still enjoying it. But, I don't think this issue will change anyone's mind on this book.

Optimus calling Spike "Human Spike" is a little awkward, but understandable since they're new to Earth. And I guess it's better than "slugs", at least.

And Carly rides along with Cliffjumper to swerve and hit Starscream! I knew that girl was going places! And Optimus just rolls right over him like he's a Monster Truck! That's great!

More of Starscream being cruel to humans just because he can. Man, this karmic payback is going to LEGENDARY, isn't it?

Jazz was the "firepower" Ratchet was talking about needing? Okay. *shrugs*. I'm not sure if I get the 2-5-1 reference, though. *looks it up* Oh...it's a chord progression thing in jazz music. It's also called a "turnaround", like how Jazz "turned" the tide of this battle. Okay. Clever. Well, I learned something new today.

Oh, Optimus is using the Matrix. He's been itching to use it all series, and now he finally has a excuse. I didn't foresee him using it on Spike, though. This is going to give him superpowers or something, huh? I guess it's lucky that Optimus doesn't need both hands to pull it apart.

Oh...and Skywarp gets torned apart for parts to repair the other Decepticons. Yikes. Brutal.

Oh...and a sick kid gets to geek out about how cool giant transforming robots are. That's sweet. This kid's one of us.

And the Matrix is all used up. Huh. Okay, I guess that gets rid of the Deux Ex Machina (for now). I wonder if this "Great Spark" is going to turn out to be Primus or if they'll go a different way here? The thing is Ratchet talks about how the Matrix is actually channeling Optimus's spark or energy so...does that mean Optimus doesn't have a "spark" anymore? I mean, probably not, but they seem to have two contradicting ideas, here.

Well, Jazz is comically chill about dying again.

And the Autobots have some sort of secret weapon stashed in Optimus's trailer. It'd be kind of cool if it was the Ginrai/Powermaster Armor. Why THAT was the first thing that popped into my head, I'm not sure. But...okay, Megatron's severed arm is ALSO pretty cool, I'll admit.

And Cliffjumper had his entire clan wiped out by Starscream. I guess Starscream REALLY hates Volkswagens. Poor Bumper died in this universe without even being able to make a cameo.

And parts of Megatron are frozen in a mountain. Taking a little bit from the Bay Movies, I see. That does make me wonder what exactly Cobra Commander is carrying around.

Gundam the 08th MS Team gets a mention in the letters page. Cool!

As far as Cobra Commander #1 goes? I think this is a fun book. This issue IS all about the origin of Cobra Commander. And...I'll say that if you were intrigued by the ending to Transformers #4, we actually get some progress on that here. This issue actually might be important to pick up so you'll understand what happens later.

The writing is...serviceable. I have no problems with it, but nothing really stands out to me. Really, the plot is carrying this issue. And...it's kind of a interesting plot.

Art-wise, it's not really my cup of tea for a lot of it. But, I WILL say...this artist seems to improve once we get to...a certain location. The artist draws that certain location VERY well. Which might be why this artist got onto this book. I can't say any more without spoiling things.

So, I recommend at least this first issue to those reading the Transformers book. I don't know if we'll end up caring about ALL of this miniseries. But, this first issue is probably worth picking up, moreso than the Duke mini, for now.

You know, that vehicle CC steals is actually pretty decked out for just a random thing a guy was driving to a bar.

And again...I guess even CC's BOOTS are cobra-themed, guessing by that insignia he left in the bloody snow.

Oh...Oh...Oh...We ARE getting the Cobra-La origin. I'm not sure if I'm happy or not. It just almost never gets referenced nowadays. I DO want to see some GI Joe fans' reactions to this. And this is the part where the art improves in my eyes. This artist just draws this organic, curvy settlement really well. It's so alien looking and fun to look at. I didn't expect to say this but...I want to see more of Cobra-La in the future.

Okay, the scientist who Cobra Commander shot in the head...that's Cobra Commander's Cobra-La Filmation model from the Movie. This is just a really weird "take that" moment, since Skybound's still using this origin. It's just that "our" Cobra Commander is more serious and calm...and always wore a helmet for some reason? Hopefully, they explain that, even it's just a "rank" thing.

And even in this universe...all of Cobra Commander's plans fail because he's surrounded by bumble-headed ninnies! When someone hands you a spore-grenade you're supposed to THROW IT!

Okay, so...I guess this Cobra Commander IS a "normal" human, and just found this colony while exploring? Okay. And Golobulus looks pretty cool in that red cloak. And I'm feeling like I'm missing something with what they accused CC of doing.

So, Golobulus got CC treated for his burns...so that he could kill him in front of him for betraying them all...that's dumb. But...it fits with what would happen in the cartoon, I guess.

Okay, CC has robotic beetles. That COULD be a Insecticon reference. Or...Are they mining Megatron's body in the mountain? Is that what CC was experimenting with?

Ooof. Okay, the beetles do some REALLY bloody stuff to some Guard's bodies by burrowing into them. This universe LOVES it's gore.

Yup, Megatron's a prisoner of Cobra-La. I guess that chunk of body in the mountain is just what's left AFTER all this.

Hey, Omega Sentinel/Guardian Robot (sorta) makes a cameo!

Megatron's sinister smile is effectively creepy. And probably the best drawn panel of this entire book.

I have NO idea who this guy driving CC around is supposed to be. I guess it COULD be a disguised Zartan, but we don't really get much in the way of hints.

And we get teased with getting to see the Dreadnoks next issue. Neat.

Well, it's not quite the same thing, but we DID get a few Transformers cameos in other Image comics before the Void Rivals reveal. Optimus popped up as a statue in the indie crossover book...titled "Crossover". And we got a page of Transformers fighting for the honor of Paramount+ in a Image Anthology book. So, we at least got some "Foreshadowing in Disguise".

Last edited:

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
At the end of "Cobra Commander" #1, Joshua Williamson say: "I wanted to take the iconic voice and tweak it to be more confidant and scarier. Less of a cowardly heel and more of a deadly despot who will kill anyone who get in their way."

.....so Charles Adler's Cobra Commander from "G.I. Joe Resolute"?

Top Bottom