Cover Songs

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Yeah, but you put "The" in front of "Who" so the joke doesn't quite work now...😭

Caldwin

Citizen
I'm going to change up my formula here and put the cover first because there's a bit of a personal story for me here.

Turn the Page: Metallica (Cover)
This is the first version of the song I heard. I mostly got Garage Inc. for "So What" and started to love the other songs that came with it. This one was very near the top.

Bob Seger: (Original Singer, but a live version)
Now of course I knew it was a cover, so eventually I wanted to find the original. But like, I heard the name the name Bob Seger before, but I never really listened to any of his stuff. But then I got his greatest hits album and "hey, I know that song. I know that one too. And that one. And that one. Holy crap! I know like 90% of these songs!

But here's the thing. This greatest hits album had a live version of this song. It had studio versions of all the other songs, but Turn The Page was a live version. It was good. It's better than good. I absolutely love it. But then what's the studio version like? I want the studio version. But everything on iTunes was live versions. I had to really hunt for this studio version.

It turns out Bob Seger doesn't view this album very favorably and has long since stopped selling it. It was absolutely impossible to find any authentic copies of the album and actually pretty difficult to get any bootlegs. So I really lucked into finding a copy on Amazon for $30 (which they're sold out now, so don't even bother looking. I'm pretty sure the copy I have is a bootleg...but hey! I finally have the studio version of Turn the Page. It's a very different feel from the live version above. It kinda takes some getting used to if you're used to the live version. But it's actually pretty good.

I'm not going to get into whether Metallica or Bob Seger's version is better. That shit don't even matter. What matters is that they're both bangers and I'm glad to have all three of these versions in my library.

Caldwin

Citizen
Thanks to Plutoniumboss for this one

Daler Mehndi (original)

Bloodywood (cover)

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet (sounds suspiciously alike)

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Funny thing, Barry McGuire's solo there was possibly also ripped off by Jean-Jacques Perrey (also responsible for the song from the "Going to the Store" viral video and being half of the duo who composed the theme from the Disney Electrical Parade) for "Brazilian Flower":

But since we're on the subject of Mr. Perrey and Super Mario, his song "Mary France" from the same album...

...became the basis for the ending theme in Super Mario Bros. 2. It's more evident in the original Doki Doki Panic where it continued through the end credits:

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Caught this on Pandora while I was working and I wanted to scream at the incoming calls when I had to pause, lol. Literal chills through the song. I love Pentatonix.

Top Bottom