Building a new Gaming PC!

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I mean, ZIF isn't even circuit architecture, it's just socket design. But yeah: and you don't even end up saving money upgrading something that old simply because valuable parts like a CPU go up in price with age, so something from the era will be more expensive than the newer, faster processor IF you can even find an old one to begin with.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So last night I got to work in the office. I managed to get about half of it cleaned up and tonight I should be able to get the other half and finally get that PC tested!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Now time to add Windows!
61FADFD5-1645-4480-B7A6-CBE9694CCA74.jpeg

E4366D0C-A15F-45EA-BD06-AF82425DC30F.jpeg

wonko the sane?

Citizen
It LIVES!!!!! The worst of it is over, now that you're certain you don't have to RMA anything. Good luck with windows 11, I've never done that install before and the requirement of a TPM is pissing me off because it forces a LOT of people to upgrade to an entirely new system as opposed to just maxing out ram and putting in a better hard drive.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Setting up windows 11 is a pain!
B3FA1B9D-CF31-45FC-87E1-702541227C21.jpeg

I had to disconnect the pc and drag it into the living room so I could hook it up to the router via a cat5 cable. This was due to windows requiring you to install updates before you could do virtually anything. And of course it has no idea what Wi-Fi is.

well after all of that and all the updates, I got this thing installed! Now I just got to hook it back up in the office tonight, as I was done about 10:30 last night.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Oh yikes, windows 11 installer doesn't have wireless? That is a MAJOR **** up on microsofts part.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, it is annoying as all get out and their work arounds are ridiculous! Like go get the files on a different windows PC and put them int he root drive of the USB key and then open up the command prompt and manually install those yourself. I was like Hard pass. Its been 28 years since Windows 95 came out and we got to abandon the command prompt. I am not going back! lol.

I just figured moving the PC to the router was the best option.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Oy... we physically ripped out our wired network. There's ONLY wireless in the house now. I don't even know if the modem has cat5 functionality (it's a videotron modem, it has... ports... on it, but I've never needed to touch them so I'm unsure if are actually network ports.)... shit, I don't even know if I have any functional cat5 wires left in stock.

Okay, so this suddenly became a learning experience for me, since my next computer will more than likely be windows 11.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Is it one of those modems and routers in one? If so, then the ports probably do work.

My house was built in 1997, so it has all these useless Phone jacks in every single room. I have dreamed of replacing them with just a network outlet in each place, but the cost to do so has always been a deterrent. Especially since no one will probably appreciate it other than me.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Wireless has generally advanced in both power and reliability that for home applications (yes, even gaming.) you don't need a wired connection.

Yeah, it's a modem and router in one. Looks like a tube, has a bunch of ports on the back, including USB and cat5. I assume it's cat5 anyway, cause a phone line also plugs into the machine. I'm still shocked the installer doesn't have wifi drivers. Windows 10 had the drivers in there. Shit, I think 7 had wireless in the installer.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It LIVES!!!!! The worst of it is over, now that you're certain you don't have to RMA anything. Good luck with windows 11, I've never done that install before and the requirement of a TPM is pissing me off because it forces a LOT of people to upgrade to an entirely new system as opposed to just maxing out ram and putting in a better hard drive.
And all that to "upgrade" to an OS that's worse than the one before it. Thankfully I don't think they've stopped selling Windows 10 licenses yet. Personally I intend to hold out as long as I can, because 12 will probably be out by then and, historically, every other version has been actually decent.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I got it hooked up again last night, and installed Steam!

I also redeemed my code for the Last of Us to put that on my Steam account, and I started installing Jedi Fallen Order. I never got to play that one, so that should be a good first test of this machine!

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Looking forward to hearing your experiences and opinions on the performance, man.

I spent some time this morning sourcing out a new computer. It was mostly a mental exercise, and because if I jump back into space engineers: all I'm going to be doing is sitting there listening to the refinery grind and I wasn't in the mood.

Anywho: this is what I slapped together; assuming a reasonable lifespan of 5 years, and some of the features and specs I absolutely wanted (like dual NVME slots, ddr5 ram at 128 gig, dual HDMI on the GPU, ect ect ect.). Along with their full retail prices. Going by the websites; if I bought TODAY, I would wind up saving about 20%, but I am not buying today, I am exercising today.

-gigabyte b650 aorus elite ax lga 1700 (319.99)
-corsair 4000D (139.99)
-corsair hx1000I 1000 watt psu (349.99)
-AMD ryzen 9 7900 5.4ghz (589.00)
-TUF-RTX3060-O12G-V2-GAMING (559.99)
-corsair vengeance 64gb 5200 (289.99)

A new case, mid tower (which I am originally against after I bought my full tower... almost a decade ago.) because the size and features have improved. What used to be only found in high end full towers are now common in mids. The mobo has a whopping THREE nvme slots, which will allow me to have a primary drive, a dedicated gaming drive and FINALLY be able to remove and retire my oldest drive which is a 5400rpm mechanical I use for deep storage. 1000 watt power supply by the same manufacturer as the case (and not just because I trust corsair, but because I know it will fit.) a ryzen 9 processor which has four more cores and 2 ghz on my current CPU, and corsair ram because it hit all the specs and was bundled. I would need two of them to max out the board, but just one would still double up on what I currently have. I could have gone with the 7900X cpu, but it's an extra 200 bucks, has a higher energy requirement (not that that's a problem.) and only adds .2 ghz per core. Since I'm only gaming and not a heavy content creator: it's unnecessary.

I want the new case because (despite loving it.) I'm getting tired of the giant ******* white box taking up 25% of the space under my desk. Also: with notably less accessories in the case (because two out of three drives would be on the board proper, and I no longer have a DVD rom to plug in.) wiring will be easier and require less space anyway. I'm upgrading the video card for my dual monitor setup simply because while my current card HAS gddr5 memory, it's first gen memory and the card itself has seen long use at more than 5 years.

I'm missing the hard drives proper, but there's plenty of available selection so I'm probably going to go with a pair of 1tb samsung or western digital. By default they would have better read/write speeds than my current one which is limited by the old mobo which has a first gen nvme port. I'm also short a CPU cooler, but those aren't hard or expensive to get and a cut of windows 11. I'm utterly shocked at how much a copy of windows 11 home costs for them to slap it on a USB and am glad I pulled the DVD rom cause it's like an extra 100 bucks for the DVD cut.

The total price (sans hard drives, cooler and windows, and only 64gb ram.) is $2,248.95 less taxes and shipping. And most of this stuff I can get at canada computer and electronics, there's a brick and mortar just down the road from me: I could probably skip the shipping costs entirely if I tried.

And frankly... that's not too bad. Before I started pricing things, I was expecting my next rig to cost somewhere closer to 4K, leaning even towards 5K. I'll get away with less than 3 even with the stuff I haven't decided on yet. I'm probably closer to building a new computer than I think... despite everything actually working still. It might be nice to build a PC without the panic of something being broken...

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I will say, that the optical drive would have come in handy for the wireless situation as my motherboard drivers came on a DVD.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Also, when you get to the point where you want to actually start getting your pieces, I would advise checking here:

That is what I use for finding PC parts on sale. They have a pretty good listing of the sales on Newegg and Amazon.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I will say, that the optical drive would have come in handy for the wireless situation as my motherboard drivers came on a DVD.
True dat, but it worked out in the end. And half the fun is the problem solving.

Edit: Anywho, I went back, finished choosing components. I can get everything at CCE, with the only deviation in pricing being that the GPU is 10 bucks more expensive. Which, you know BFD if I can save the everything on shipping. Even getting the everything and not bare bonesing the build, I can get it at 2.6K before taxes... which is the full price before taxes on the barebones build. IF I buy in the next 12 hours. Thankfully, the wishlist on CCE shows the sale price, so I can track it if I want.

Edit the 2nd: RECORD SCRATCH! I can buy the parts for a PC... OR I can spend 820 canadian fun bucks on a steam deck and save 1.8K...

I mean, I'm not doing either right now, but, you know... something to consider.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

Citizen
NOPE!
More than half through the purchases. I just need the credit card purchase to register so I can pay it off and get the last three things. I only got half of the ram (for now.) but it's still doubling up what I currently have.

I didn't even need any alcohol this time, just plain ol' stupidity. Normally I at least need a beer or two to get me to pull out the charge card. Well, at least nothing is broken this time around, so there's no real pressure or panic to get back online.

Top Bottom