Building a new Gaming PC!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, most of my steam games are ancient, so I guess I need to hit up steam for some modern stuff to play on this.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Dude, it's miles beyond my rx 480.

Edit: and on the note of hitting steam: I managed to pick up some extra work, so I will be dumping a wee bit of that coin into steam... against future need, actually. I've got two games expected "soon" but no idea when that might be, just this year... supposedly.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I do know that despite the actions of Blizzard, I will be playing Diablo 4, as that series has been a favorite of mine since the first game. I haven't looked into what other games I might want for it. I am curious to what my old games will look like on this.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
They will look like your old games... with maybe tinier characters and more stuff on the screen cause the resolution is set higher.

You know, if they work at all. It really depends on how old your "old games" are.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
You know, if they work at all. It really depends on how old your "old games" are.
I can't remember the last time I had a hard time getting an older game to still run on new hardware. That was mostly a '90s-early 2000s problem that seems to have been ironed out by the time stuff started getting rereleased on Steam. And Valve had actual quality control in those days too, so you couldn't just dump an old game that doesn't run on anything newer than Windows ME onto the store and get it accepted.

That said, if you do run into any issues, the PC Gaming Wiki is your friend.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Yeah, I was mostly referring to the positively pre-historic games from the pre 386 days when the game engines leveraged CPU architecture to run. Now all the truly ancient stuff, and even modern classics are usually wrapped into some kind of emulator package to make sure it runs properly. Hell, it's an entire business model these days what with GOG, and they do it right my friends.

And where they don't work, right click "run in compatibility mode" is your friend.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You know most of the games that I played on the PCs pre-Pentium/windows 95 were

Simcity
Tie Fighter
Lucas Arts games like day of the tentacle
Hotrod
Shanghai

Otherwise, the only other PC games I played were truly ancient Commadore 64 games, and most of those would not be worth revisiting.

Old PC games I might want to play again for some fun:

Doom
Doom 2
Unreal Tournament
Tie Fighter + expansions
Blood
Hexen
Diablo 1
Warcraft 2

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Good list, good list.

Also, I feel old, cause I remember the launch of most of those...

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The parts are all here!
5E309584-2A67-4267-BB62-1D78E98E8DCD.jpeg

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I went ahead and ordered a copy of Windows 11 on USB from Newegg. I want to put this together, but I might have to wait until the weekend to do so considering how packed our night time routine is with the kids. Maybe waiting until the OS gets here this Friday or so will be a good reason to hold off that way I can get it all done at once.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
For those of you that are curious, Here is how I spent my budget on this project:

Components Price Ordered
Motherboard CPU Combo 345.59 2/17/2023
Ram 70.19 3/16/2023
case 79.26 3/31/2023
SSD 56.15 4/1/2023
PS, GPU, thermal Paste 582.92 5/1/2023
Windows 11 Home USB 150.11 5/3/2023

Total: 1284.22

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Man... I wish I could get away with building a PC on that price. That's a shoestring budget in canada for parts these days.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, everything but the case, windows, and thermal paste was on sale, and it took me three months to get everything.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Still, it's a beautiful price man. I'd have to wait the better part of a year or more to get anything similar to those prices, and I would probably still need a gun and ski mask to pull it off.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, Friday not much got done. Predaqueen wasn't feeling too good, so I had to start by myself. I put on a Linus tech tips Youtube video of him building a AMD system 6 months ago, to help me remember the process. I got the cpu installed, and the stock cooler on it. Then I got it mounted into the case, and thatis as far as I got Friday as I had to put the kids to bed and then I crashed for that night.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
2BC73AC0-96A9-4992-99C1-DE8732FB9ACF.jpeg0087FD43-774D-4C0A-987C-2327EA5762D1.jpeg

Attachments

• 83311B78-175F-493F-A608-FA7802FFA44D.jpeg
    83311B78-175F-493F-A608-FA7802FFA44D.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 8A6946DF-191A-416C-8424-A622A851CC1C.jpeg
    8A6946DF-191A-416C-8424-A622A851CC1C.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 50

Top Bottom