Anti-Semitism

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
It's not that kind of crucifixion. It's one of Japanese Santa's kinks. He's into some weird stuff.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
An older video about how John Stewart feels about dealing with anti-semetic comments made by celebrities.

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
They live streamed this on YouTube, Facebook, etc. Completely comfortable broadcasting this hate for everyone to see.

At the Islamic school where I work, some of my pupils brought up Palestine, but the only odd thing I've heard is one 9-10 year old kid (who's a bit of a comedian/naive) claim "WW3 is coming"...

(I've put the rest of this behind spoilers to limit the post length and/or for reasons of relevance, as it might be on a slight tangent, or I might have repeated myself)

The other kids seemed to be aware of recent events but nothing bad was said to them. The worst thing they complained about was that their iman (Muslim priest ) mometimes beats them with a stick (and he used to teach at our school until we voted to kick his sorry @rse out). I've been told that beating kids is more of a Bangladeshi problem as the current (still rather conservative) Egyptian Islamic teacher said it's not something preferable (or at least accepted) in Egypt and the other Malaysian, Bangladeshi, Palestinian, Pakistani, etc teachers were appalled by the iman's behaviour.

However, the Uzbek teacher told me that she once locked a kid at the school in a large Japanese style cupboard as punishment (which shocked the other teachers). She recently had started to tell me that we shouldn't trust mainstream media (as apparently, it's "all run by Jews, according to Elon Musk" and that possibly (although I might have misheard it) "jihad is coming". She also, when events had just occurred, denied that Israelis and other people had been attacked at a music festival, etc. She believed that Hamas only attacked military targets and if anyone else was attacked, it was "fine, as Israel has done terrible things to Palestine". She seems to get her "news" mainly from Facebook too.

She teaches the pupils (aged between 3-10 years old) Islamic Manners, Maths, etc.

Generally speaking though, I don't think my pupils have been taught anything in particular about the current conflict. As far as I can recall, Muslims are usually taught that Christians and Jews are basically on the "same side" (but, of course, they get some things "wrong").

...And as I've stated before, as our boss is from Palestine, we teach young kids and it's a job (so we need to be professional), the subject is doubly sensitive.

Last edited:

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
It probably varies depending on how hardline or extremist the Muslim school in question is. One of the reasons I really wish they would revoke tax exempt statuses for religious organizations.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It probably varies depending on how hardline or extremist the Muslim school in question is. One of the reasons I really wish they would revoke tax exempt statuses for religious organizations.
Again, this is under spoiler tags as it's slightly off-topic)

I disagree with the tx exception status. In other countries, ex-pats, immigrants or ethnic minorities might find it hard to understand the main language, cultural norms, etc of the host country (or feel they are against the cultural, academic or moral values of their own). This leads to a need for "international schools", which also possibly include religious schools. As such schools might be too expensive (as they might not qualify for official school status by the host country's government) any aid, tax breaks, etc are essential.

However, I DO believe such "private" schools need more government inspections. I think there were several cases of such schools in the UK (including a Jewish school?) that had appalling hygiene/health and safety standards, and where kids were taught (at a Muslim school?) radical beliefs.

To be honest, I can't find the article dealing with this. I recall (perhaps incorrectly) that it mentioned one school (possibly a Jewish one, although the only correlation between "Jewish" is confidential. The the fact it was a religious school and the subject matter of this thread; it's not suggesting anything about Jews in general). The school's kitchens were, if I recall, filthy, with bugs and dirty food everywhere?

If anyone can find the article (possibly from the Guardian newspaper or BBC?) I would be happy to see it. Regardless, I think the issue was more to do with private schools avoiding inspection/sanctions, rather than the religious side per-sec.

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
NYT again, having to append a five paragraph long correction from the editor, like nothing I've ever seen before, saying one of their recent articles about Gaza had just been entirely wrong.

Article subject Refaat Alareer thinks (unconfirmed) reports of Hamas infanticide are funny:

Teufel

Citizen
NYT also rehired a Palestinian reporter they'd previously let go over his history of praising Hitler on social media.

Link

A New York Times reporter who came under fire last year for a praising Adolf Hitler in multiple resurfaced Facebook posts was rehired by the Gray Lady to cover the Israel-Palestine war.

Palestinian filmmaker Soliman Hijjy hailed the Nazi leader as recently as 2018 in a post on Facebook, when he shared a photo of himself captioned that he was “in a state of harmony as Hitler was during the Holocaust,” per a translation from Arabic by pro-Israel media watchdog site HonestReporting.

That same year, Hijjy was hired by the Times as a freelance journalist and worked on a slew of “visual investigations” published by the organization through 2021, including one on an Israeli airstrike that killed 44 people.

Hijjy’s 2018 post — including a 2012 Facebook post where he wrote, “How great you are, Hitler” in Arabic alongside a photoshopped image of Hitler seemingly taking a selfie — were unearthed last year, when pro-Israel outlets called out the Times for hiring antisemitic journalists as freelancers.

Hijjy’s byline has appeared in the publication nearly every day since Oct. 12, with his latest story from Gaza published on Thursday.

Hijjy wrote a piece titled, “At a hospital in southern Gaza, a backup generator becomes a critical lifeline,” about a facility two miles from the Ahli Arab hospital bombing by a Palestinian terrorist organization that falsely blamed Israel for the attack.

A Times spokesperson defended the outlet’s decision to rehire Hijjy.

“We reviewed problematic social media posts by Mr. Hijjy when they first came to light in 2022 and took a variety of actions to ensure he understood our concerns and could adhere to our standards if he wished to do freelance work for us in the future,” the rep said.

Punch a Nazi turned into hire a Nazi and let him report on Jews.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
You know what I'll bet it is, at least partially? White guilt over the 2000s culture of racism against Arabs. Left-leaning media outlets are terrified of looking less than friendly towards middle easterners, but narrow-minded enough to assume that hating Jewish people is just something they all do, so they don't put any effort into vetting the ones they hire or promote.

I know it's the kind of take that makes me sound like those right-wingers who use the term "identity politics" unironically and rail against affirmative action because they think it means strict hiring quotas and Blizzard-style diversity charts, but it makes more sense to me than "left-leaning media outlets are run by secret Nazi sympathizers."

Anonymous X

Citizen
You know what I'll bet it is, at least partially? White guilt over the 2000s culture of racism against Arabs. Left-leaning media outlets are terrified of looking less than friendly towards middle easterners, but narrow-minded enough to assume that hating Jewish people is just something they all do, so they don't put any effort into vetting the ones they hire or promote.
That might explain in part actions on the American centre-left, but speaking as a British person, I’ve become incredibly aware in the last 7-8 years how much deep antisemitism there is baked into the more radical left. It’s just there, but unspoken about on the surface, utterly taboo to even mention as an recognisable problem.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Our radical left probably has that too; it's just that they don't have control of any mainstream media outlets. Or much of anything really, other than the feeds of the doomscrollers out there.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Well, they don’t over here either, but it’s a lot of social media and forum traffic as far as I see that is influenced by that form of thinking.

I saw that side of things as fringe, relatively harmless cranks until the emergence of Corbyn and his personality cult just complacent and naive I was about them.

Teufel

Citizen

I know it's the kind of take that makes me sound like those right-wingers who use the term "identity politics" unironically and rail against affirmative action because they think it means strict hiring quotas and Blizzard-style diversity charts, but it makes more sense to me than "left-leaning media outlets are run by secret Nazi sympathizers."

The dude in my post, I think you're probably right, because I can't imagine a Western journalist posting Hitler stuff being described as "problematic" and the organization saying essentially "don't worry, we've explained to him that is wrong and he won't do it again." But people in the Middle East know who Hitler and the Nazis are and what they did, that's the reason they get invoked. No one's bringing him up because they're becoming vegetarians or adopting dogs and oh oops, I didn't know that OTHER thing about Hitler.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Unfortunately, I’m not entirely surprised by this news.

(I’ve seen elsewhere online a common claim that there isn’t actually any rise in anti-Jewish racism, just “the Zios” have forced the government to criminalise criticism of Israel. Of course.)

Top Bottom