Anime

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Stuff happened in this week's chapter of One Piece and I want to talk about it.

Spoilers for chapter 1089!

My Hole Idea! (With visual aids!)
Okay, so the biggest news (for me) this chapter was seeing a new hole form where Lulusia was destroyed. Which looks EXACTLY like the hole underneath Enies Lobby. Tons of people are theorizing about how this is supposed to work since there's a bunch of oddities happening with this hole.

One, the Hole does not close up. Two, the Hole was created 6 days AFTER Lulusia got blown up. And three, the hole is making the water level around the entire world RISE!

Can I come up with a theory that makes all three of these facts make sense? I'm sure gonna try!

You might remember me mentioning that I have a theory that the entire One Piece World is actually Hollow. I think that's where Big Mom and Kaido ended up after they got dropped into that volcano. And I think that this "Underworld" is also where Oar's Race/the Oni/the Demons are exiled to, which means they are a entire race of people who haven't been allowed to see the sun in generations. And that I think Luffy will eventually break them out of their prison, in a parallel to Impel Down.

Some of their new friends, like Joyboy are willing to fight with the Humans...but most of the Humans lose hope and decide to take the Dragon's offer. Then begins the war. Most of the Lunarians and Oni die, but some are sealed away in a prison deep in the center of the planet. This is what's at the bottom of Enies Lobby, the hole in the ocean. It's a prison where the last remaining members of the original inhabitants of this planet still live...waiting to see the sun once more.

(Also, this is probably where I'm betting Big Mom and Kaido are RIGHT NOW. The center of the Earth is hollow...and it's full of "Devils"...or Oni, which both Big Mom and Kaido might be descended from)

I think this theory actually fits pretty well with what we're seeing in this chapter. Let me explain....with poorly drawn art from Powerpoint!

OP01.jpg

This is a cross section of the One Piece World, in my mind. There's a ocean on the surface. A Crust. And a second inner ocean in the center of the hollow planet. On the surface live species like the Lunarian. In the center of the planet live the Oni.

OP02.jpg

This little brown triangle represents a island. There are many of these inside and outside the surface of the planet, but we only need to show ONE for our purpose.

OP03.jpg

This is a weapon destroying that same island. It might be Uranos, or the Mother Flame, it doesn't really matter.

But notice, it not only blows up the island, but also drills a hole straight through the Crust to the inside of the planet. This means there are TONS more rock that just went into the two oceans than JUST the rock from the destroyed island. All the rock that used to be a part of the Crust is also thrown into the ocean. Causing the water level of the entire planet to rise. Like adding marbles to a glass of water.

There would also just be less total surface area for all this water to cover. Since there's a hole in the planet, the same amount of water is spread over a slightly smaller distance, this may be another cause for the water level around the world to rise.

This process probably also took some time. It MAY have taken days for the original attack to make it's way all the way to the other side of the Crust.

This also ends up linking the Inner and Outer Oceans. And if one of these oceans were "fuller" than the other, it would ALSO cause the sea level to change.

OP04.jpg

So here, we see the One Piece World after the usage of the Weapon. Notice the triangle representing the island on the bottom of the ocean. As well as the "rubble" that came from the Crust, on both sides of both oceans.

Since the two oceans are now connected, there's no way for the hole to fill up. The 6 day time difference is explained by it taking time for the attack to make it's way through the thick Crust of the planet. And the water level rose due to any difference in sea level of the Inner and Outer Oceans AND the amount of rubble and rocks that were sent to the sea floor from both the Island and Crust. I feel like this answers all three mysteries of what we see in this chapter.

A Sidenote: ....Is it possible that the "Crust" is where the World Government has been getting the Seastones? Could Imu be blowing up islands, not just to punish those who go against them, but also so they can mine a material to use against Devil Fruit users?

...I'm probably wrong, but I did my best!

Also some bonus theories!

Who is...The Man Marked By Flames?
Personally, I think it could be the Oro Jackson, Gol D Roger's ship.

If the ship has a klabautermann like the Merry did, if WOULD look like a person from afar. And if the ship was damaged in a fight, it might make the klabautermann look like it has flame-scars. Plus, we never found out what happened to Roger's ship. And the ship WOULD know where the Poneglyph was, since it visited there. And we have to find out what the deal was with that giant egg on Roger's ship. And Oda HAS to payoff the klaubatermann plot SOMEHOW. Otherwise it's just a...strange but touching tangent. It being the Oro Jackson just gives a opportunity to answer a lot of questions in a single swoop.

Another use for the One Piece!
Okay, this is going to be random, but it's been bouncing around in my mind for a while now.

I DO believe that the One Piece Treasure will end up being Bink's sake. In one form or another. I still think it COULD be Binks himself who ate the Sake-Sake Fruit...but the existence of Vasco Shot's Glug Glug Fruit DOES have me doubting that somewhat. It'd be weird to have the ultimate treasure just be a "upgraded" form of a fruit we've already seen.

But, still, IF it is Bink's Sake...what else could the Strawhats use it for?

Well, let's tie this back into my "True" Celestial Dragon theory. If the Strawhats DO end up having to journey into space in order to fight a Intergalactic Slave-Trading Dragon Empire...how could they do that?

Well...alcohol is flammable, isn't it?

So...sake could also be used...as rocket fuel!

That's right! I'm predicting the Strawhats will end up using booze to bring themselves to space! The Sunny is getting Sake-fueled Booster rockets!

...That's it. I just think that'd be a neat moment. It just feels like something One Piece would do.

Last edited:

Spin-Out

i cant take it anymore im at my limit
Citizen
now that he's done shitting on Japanese nationalism and historical negationism, sounds like based oda's gonna tackle capitalists' and the military's role in causing sea level rise/climate change.

you love to see it

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Watched Hands Off Eizouken! Slice of life about girls forming a "film" club to make anime. Slight fantastical elements as their imaginations take over real life at times. I liked the deep dive into animation, not just the creation process, but how their personalities/roles affect each other and their work. Also liked that 2/3 of the girls were not standard cutesy girls.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
So, should western animation studios work with the japanese ones ?

Some do, but a lot of Japan ones, don't like working directly with western studios, espeically Netflix, because they got to take out loans to cover costs until a certain number of eps are ready, only then they get paid and the market is very different to western ones

Sevenlima

Citizen
Some do, but a lot of Japan ones, don't like working directly with western studios, espeically Netflix, because they got to take out loans to cover costs until a certain number of eps are ready, only then they get paid and the market is very different to western ones

Why they doesn't work with traditional tv ?

Last edited:

Cybersnark

Citizen
Why they doesn't work with traditional tv ?
Again, production models and timetables (and broadcast requirements) are too different.

From the article:
"It's not necessarily understood when compared to Japanese productions, but when it comes to international co-productions, the initial announcement has to be made far sooner than normal when nothing is decided," explained Takeuchi. "In Japan, announcements for domestic anime productions are typically made just before release, but for these co-productions, it needs to be done so projects can be shown to partners and to get pre-sales [of international licenses]."

"Announcing a project sooner means meeting more people and having media materials that could be shown off at festivals," she continued. Such announcements helped to build anticipation and increase production budgets if pre-sales were successful due to guaranteed returns on the film.

There were a few successful international copros back in the pre-streaming days, but they were typically passion projects where a powerful creator deliberately set up an entire new production format.

In the case of one of my favourite animes, a France-Japan copro (which aired on Disney's Jetix network), the French creator basically relocated his entire production team to Japan for the duration.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
I think I'll watch Reign of the Seven Spellblades. It looks pretty and is about kids going to a dangerous magic school. Not a bad little show this should be just a quick simple sho-

Episode six happens: HOLY F-

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Reign of the Seven Spellblades has certainly been intersting, so far!

I just been watching the latest ep of Edens Zero, its pretty good so far!

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead: This is a fun action/horror/comedy. MC works for an exploitative company and is dead inside until the zombie outbreak happens and he finds a reason to live again- do things he never got to before he gets turned into a zombie. The drama is minimal so far, and gore scenes have colorful spashes of color (unless a human is bleeding). Surprised that most of the fanservice so far has been from a man (but, presented comically, of course). Sure there's going to be more with the girls that are starting to become more prominent.

Link Click is back for season 2. Plot seems more coherent this time, but they also upped the drama to 11. YOU get a traumatic backstory, and YOU get a traumatic backstory, and...
Not sure how keen I am on this. I don't want to sympathize much with people who are doing horrible things. Also we got quite a few traumatic eps/events one after the other, to the point that I don't want to care for any of the side chars anymore. Also got uncomfortable/depressing. At least give us some breathing room!
Anyway. Hoping we don't get a cliffhanger like they did on Season 1, but we'll see.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The Dragonball franchise is the Japanese equivalent of if DIsney's Cinderella continued after the end until she was fighting aliens with glass slipper daggers.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
The Dragonball franchise is the Japanese equivalent of if DIsney's Cinderella continued after the end until she was fighting aliens with glass slipper daggers.

I would say more like Superman but with a lot more training to become stronger but Goku isn't off fighting crime and saving people while Superman is! Naruto is ok but I do feel that as the series progressed, it lost sight of its original story direction and swapped main villian about three or four times as it went on, I would say similar with Bleach, it should of ended after Aizen's defeat and the main character loosing his powers and having to say goodbye to his friends on the other side!

NovaSaber

Citizen
On one hand, Dragon Ball isn't quite as early in the history of shonen manga as Superman is in American superhero comic, but on the other, the point where the anime title added the Z literally added direct Superman parallels.
But aside from the specific example, long-running manga and TV anime are clearly more equivalent to long-running comics or TV franchises than to movies.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I would say more like Superman but with a lot more training to become stronger but Goku isn't off fighting crime and saving people while Superman is! Naruto is ok but I do feel that as the series progressed, it lost sight of its original story direction and swapped main villian about three or four times as it went on, I would say similar with Bleach, it should of ended after Aizen's defeat and the main character loosing his powers and having to say goodbye to his friends on the other side!
Nah, the original Dragonball was based on Journey To The West. As an adaption of a much older story, it's got more in common with Disney's Cinderella culturally. Thus my comment.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
The iseka animes are too much underrated.

Depends which ones you watch, there are some good ones and then there are the trashfires with ideas completely bonkers, one of the current season ones, had easily be covered in less than a hour of Youtube videos and you don't loose any of the plot!

Sevenlima

Citizen
Depends which ones you watch, there are some good ones and then there are the trashfires with ideas completely bonkers, one of the current season ones, had easily be covered in less than a hour of Youtube videos and you don't loose any of the plot!
I mean the genre.

Top Bottom