Anime

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
post-sword art online isekai sucks tbh

SAO was never the greatest of the gene in terms of story, the way the first arc of the series ends is just plain bad and breaks the established rules of the universe, by alrights the two leaders should be dead because their health bars dropped to zero and the established rules state that once that happens, the device attached to your physical body head will fry your brain, thus killing you, so SAO best arc is the Gun Gale arc if you ask me as it resolves the mystery nicely, of course the spin off series set in that world is also pretty good!

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Also put this in the Kaiju thread, I loved The Big O, but the toys have either been lackluster or horrendously expensive. Finally got the Moderoid kit, and did this with a minimum of paint. There were no stickers involved either. I HATE water-slide decals, it didn't come with any!

52966916351_184f21b8d5_c.jpg

It's comparaively lightweight and the LED eyes don't show well in pics, but it does the job better than anything else I've seen. Not the first time I've used a model kit to get around scale issues, my Godzilla shelf also has a Kabaya Fortress Maximus so they can fight.

"This fight will be easy! It doesn't even have extra heads or wings!"
-Roger Smith, before he woke up in a hospital with no idea what he'd been doing the last 40 years.

52966707532_839eb5f950_c.jpg

Last edited:

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Chainsaw Man: ok, so season 1 of the anime has been over for awhile. I've been dying to talk about some of the imagery used in the opening song, specifically Makima and Denji. It is super clever but you might not have caught the full significance. Problem is, it also hints at stuff that hasn't come up in the anime yet. So, major spoilers if you haven't read up to vol 12 of the manga.
First off, the OP.

The scene is around the 38-52 second mark. What is the meaning of this?
Screenshot_20230611_211203_Photos~2.jpg
Source
In Season 1 it's pretty obvious that Makima is using Denji and the others. The fungi was obvious, the snail puzzled me when I first saw the OP, so I looked it up and had a "OH DAMN" moment. Didn't notice all of the smaller stuff until finding that pic just now.
In the manga, we later find out
Makima is literally the Control Devil. She can control people who she perceives as being inferior to her. She is all about manipulation. She always creeped me out, so that revelation felt so justified. I read the manga first, so seeing that scene in the OP was huge forshadowing that extends beyond season 1. On a side note, I am puzzled as to why people still simp for her, lol.

Last edited:

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Been rewatching Goblin Slayer, honestly, I would say in a way this series feels like what D&D world would be like in anime form

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Hmm...well, I don't immediately hate it. There's some good stuff in here. I'm really not sure what I think about it completely.

I can already tell, Netflix Luffy's going to be a little different than Manga Luffy. Netflix Luffy seems like a sweet, naive kid who's never been out of the country before....that is NOT who Manga Luffy is. Manga Luffy has more of a "greedy brat" energy to him, or something like a slightly unhinged overcaffinated bull in a china shop. Manga Luffy would NOT reverently reach out his hand to touch a ship. (Even if that MIGHT be Luffy hearing Merry's voice via the Voice of All Things). Manga Luffy would either demand the owner just give him the ship, or he'd just laugh and say "You're itching to go on a real adventure, too, aintcha?" Still, as far as changes go, it's a understandable one. They probably want to make him more likable.

Zoro...actually is fine, as far as I can tell. The sword fight scene isn't the best choreographed I've ever seen, but on a TV budget, it's pretty alright. But, the actor feels pretty spot on, as little as we get to see.

Nami's actress really doesn't sound like she wants to be here. But, then again, this is pre-Arlong Park Nami, so she probably DOESN'T want to be here. So, I'm a little split.

Buggy looks creepy...and I think that works. I'm kind of interested to see their take on him.

Sanji doesn't have his swirly eyebrows...0/10.

But, man...the set pieces and the costumes and the ships and some of the sunset shots look REALLY good for a TV-level production. Some of it just LOOKS fantastic. The Sea King looks pretty good. Even the CGI Gum Gum Pistol at the end doesn't look as out of place as it could be. (Is it in shadow or is that just a HINT of Armament Haki in there?). They've clearly poured some love into this. I'm...hoping this turns out good.

And you know what, while I'm here, let's talk about the latest chapter of the manga. I've been mulling it over, and I was hoping to see something more of this from someone else, but I want to talk about it.

It's going to be about the Gorosei again. So, again, BIG spoilers for the manga, Chapter 1086.
WE KNOW ALL THEIR NAMES! WOOOO!!!

Okay, so I'm going to try and break them down and see what inspired their names and designs a bit.

ST Jaygarcia Saturn-Defense Science-Karl Marx/Giuseppe Garibaldi/Jerry Garcia-“Horns”-Dosei Earth Planet

ST Shepard Ju Peter-Agriculture-Abraham Lincoln/Jean Shepard?-“Scream?/Blob?/Frog?”-Mokusei Wood Planet

ST Topman Warcury-Justice-Mikhail Gorbachev/Topman Baba?-“Tusks”-Suisei Water Planet

ST Marcus Mars-Environmental-Itagaki Tasuke/Marky Mark?-“Bird”-Kasei Fire Planet

ST Ethan-Baron V Nusjuro-Fianance-Mahatma Gandhi/Hideki Tojo/Ethan Bortnick?/ “Eisenbarren” or Bar Iron-“Human/Snake”-Kinsei Steel/Gold Planet

Imu Nerona...we know Imu's family name! There's actually a good breakdown of all of this in this video:

Okay, so far, it seems like all the Gorosei's designs are inspired by political leaders from around the world. There's some debate on who's who, but they're likely famous former "freedom fighters" from around the world.

Their NAMES on the other hand, seem to be possibly inspired by other types of celebrities. Jaygarcia is mostly likely a reference to the musician Jerry Garcia. I'm not sure if they're ALL supposed to be musicans, possibly tying them to the song Bink's Sake. Or if they're other types of famous people. A famous chef, and a famous swordsman, for example. "Topman" kind of stands out as a strange name, but I WAS able to find a match to a Nigerian rapper, so maybe they ARE references to musicians from around the world? If so...could Marcus Mars actually be a reference to...Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch?!

Also, the Japanese names of the planets are different than the English names we all know. They're based on the Asian five elements. For example, Saturn is called Dosei (The Earth Planet) in Japanese. These MIGHT help identify what they're Devil Fruit forms are.

Also, while researching some of this, I noticed that the Japanese word for the sun is actually Taiyo. Which...sounds a lot like Taiko, as in the drum...is that where the "drumbeats" of Luffy's heart come from? Also the word Taiyo can mean both "sun" and "ocean"....so that's a interesting little factoid. Is NIka actually the ocean-god we've all been waiting for?

I also want to point out that there's a group of Chinese Deities that seem to match up to the Gorosei reasonably well. The Wufang Shangdi aka the Five Faces of Heaven. It's not perfect, but it's still pretty good.

Saturn-Yellow-Huangdi-Center-Big Dipper-Shaman/Hero/Dragon/Light/Thunder/Four Faces

Jupiter-Bluegreen-Cangdi-East-Wood/Spring/Fertility-Dragon

Mercury-Black-Heidi-dark warrior-North-water/winter-black dragon-tortoise snake

Mars-Red-Chidi-South-Farmer/ Flame/ humanity/ agriculture/ market/ science/craft/ doctors- phoenix

Venus-white-Baidi-West-metal/autumn-tiger

(Yes, one of the gods really IS named Heidi).

The most interesting thing about this group, to me, is that they each have TWO animal forms. A colored Dragon form...and a Stellar Animal form. They're basically the four guardian beasts you may already be familiar with from other anime. (Dragon, Phoenix, Tiger, Tortoise). But, I find it interesting that the Gorosei actually COULD have TWO animal forms. These guardian beasts and a dragon form. And having a second stage where they transform into a dragon could be cool and fitting for a manga that's been teasing dragons for so long.

Some of it's just that both groups represent the planets, so they have some similarities that way. But, it's possible there's a deeper influence, too.

Some other random thoughts about this chapter:

I'm guessing that Vegapunk made the Mother Flame in order to help warm up his home island of Karakuri, like he promised he'd do. It's a winter island, I could see him making a miniature sun to help them make it warmer year round, so they can grow more food. It just got repurposed without his knowledge by the World Government into a super weapon.

I kind of wonder if it's possible that the shadowy shapes the Gorosei took on where actually a new type of Haki? Imu's Haki? Or possibly, some sort of...Anti-Haki? If Haki is the form someone's willpower takes...then ACCEPTING your fate might have a power all it's own, too. The power of despair? I don't know, just something I'm mulling over, it's probably just shadows to hide the reveals for the real designs.

This is kind of a big one....I'm starting to think that Imu is actually a immortal child. There's just something....childlike in the way she plops down in the Empty Throne. And wants to hear about her "old friend". Like Lili was a babysitter that she wants to see again, or something. I don't know, it's just a vibe I'm getting. Plus, it DOES seem like Imu's probably MUCH shorter than we were lead to believe at first. I'm guessing Imu's a child that never grew up, for one reason or another. The other Celestial Dragons COULD then be her old playmates...but they grew up and she never did. But, she's still willing to do ANYTHING for them, no matter how cruel...kind of like a dark mirror of Luffy.

Also, I just kind of want to share this theory video about Rocks that I find interesting.

So, basically the idea is that Rocks was actually Gol D. Roger's version of Buggy. A guy who just kept failing upward until his luck ran out. And...I could totally see it. Rock's overpowered crew of Whitebeard, Big Mom, Kaido, Shiki, Stussy, and others basically being the Cross Guild of their day.

I think I subscribe to this theory. Kaido was probably just scared of him because of a hilarious misunderstanding gag.

But, it DOES beg the question. IF that's the case...What did they DO on God Valley, anyway?

Also, the DLC for One Piece Odyssey came out, and I wonder if there's some connection with the endgame of One Piece.
This is probably a thematic connection at most. But, I can't help but think there's some connection between Imu and the Lim's.

Partially, it's due to the names. Lim and Imu are just ONE letter apart. There's...something to that.

Does that mean I think that Imu is some Ancient Civilization artificial intelligence? Well, no. But, there does seem to be something more there.

In the DLC, Blue Lim (the "main" copy-Lim) and Red Lim (the original AI Lim) get separated. And two more Lims show up. White Lim (aka Rita Suerte, the original human Lim, who's a priestess for the Divine Breath weapon like Shirahoshi is for Poseidon. And the basis for Red and Blue). And Black Lim (a version of Lim that's used as a avatar for the Divine Breath weapon).

I can't help but see White Lim and Black Lim as parallels to Nika/Gear 5 and Blackbeard or maybe Imu. Which would make Red and Blue Lim's parallels for...I'm not sure, maybe Luffy (he has a red shirt) and Law (blue jeans)? There MIGHT be something to all these characters being copies and variants of each other. I'm just not sure what. Is this possibly a hint that everyone's basically the same person, in a roundabout way?

And the idea that the Large Olassic Cube/Divine Breath basically was behind EVERYTHING just so it could observe humanity...it's interesting. And I wonder if it's a parallel to Imu...or possibly part of my "True Celestial Dragon" theory. The Cube DOES have dragon wings on it. It's a stretch...but I just find it interesting.

I don't know, it's probably all just original stuff anyway. It probably doesn't tie in to the manga at all, even thematically. But...I just find it interesting.

Last edited:

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'll check this live action One piece out when it debuts, thou I expect it might be a one season only because of the cost of production

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
She def has Dommy Mommy vibes, but she doesn't care if you don't consent, she'll get what she wants. That part (and the things she does) is the immediate NOPE from me.

Come to think of it, this character type is popular as the male lead in romance media for women, and I hate it.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
She def has Dommy Mommy vibes, but she doesn't care if you don't consent, she'll get what she wants. That part (and the things she does) is the immediate NOPE from me.
I may have seen this phenomenon before... it certainly sounds familiar. ;)
(Just Makima)

A fair number of demographically skewed fannish subcultures got infected with Incel Troll Logic circa 2015, but I've noticed that while anime fandom is not without its issues, one is more likely to see Women Who Actually Dig This Stuff being welcomed, rather than attempts to drive them from the gates.
It would be irresponsible to draw any broad subcultural portrait from anecdata, but if you've ever seen a 5'0 woman trying to step on random men at a convention... well, let's just say that I recognize a lot of the behaviours shown in the following video. As in art, so in life....

All that being said and shown, yes, Power's right. Fandom shouldn't need shaming, so long as we keep the convention antics (and other things) safe, sane and consensual.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Just been watching the latest ep of: Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts, its not series, its primary story is about a girl who was sent to be a sacrificial offering to the Beast King, but instead of dying as she was meant to do, the king lets her live and the start of their romance begins as the girl is surounded by beasts, many of whom would like her dead, yet they fear their king wrath and the king has chosen Sariphi to be his future wife, but she has a uphill battle as she must prove herself worthy to the nobles and regluar beasts to be able to stand beside the king as his wife and Queen consort!

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Watched through SSSS Gridman, in the last couple of days, its a desent series, being just 12 eps long, it got a banger of a openning theme

Also watched the start of a new anime called Liar, Liar, its definely intersting, but its a case of see how it unfolds!

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Anime I was watching that recently ended:
Skip x Loafer
My Love Story with Yamada-kun at Lv 999
Gundam Witch from Mercury

Definitely want more story from these.
TMM and I also finished watching Pokemon. Kinda a meh ending. Even though Ash won the Championship, it still doesn't feel like he actually got anywhere. Plus just throwing so many legendaries at the end just to show them. Everything is back to the way it was. I was hoping that Jessie & co would quit team Rocket, at the very least. Oh well.

Precure's still going, the slight changes to series staples is nice but it's still highly formulaic.
Started watching Masamune-kun's Revenge, fun concept but it's turning into another thin plot for female harem & fanservice.

Cybersnark

Citizen
If you enjoyed Skip & Loafer and Yamada-kun, check out The Dangers In My Heart. It's the same kind of sweet rom-com (with a second season to come in January), about an edgy angry serial-killer-obsessed high-school kid who claims to hate everyone. Then this happens.

Top Bottom