Allsparkle General Discussion

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Yeah. They didn't have the series bible, and seemingly didn't make their own. It seemed like writers and artists buddied up and worked within their own universes, with no wider collaboration between anyone who wasn't currently working together. The teams weren't hostile to each other the way IDW Transformers was often hostile to itself before the reboot, but they were insular. They worked in tiny groups with shared visions, and never had someone with a different vision check their work and say "I'm not sure this ending works."
It was weird that they didn't have have good editing...except when they oddly did. I distinctly remember that there were some arcs where when a writer heard about a future arc and specifically setup some name drops and cameos to set it up.

C'mon Netflix, give us a trailer already!

But all the trailers are stuck on the docks. :p

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It was weird that they didn't have have good editing...except when they oddly did. I distinctly remember that there were some arcs where when a writer heard about a future arc and specifically setup some name drops and cameos to set it up.
Yeah, the Legends of Magic maxiseries and issues 51-60 tied into Season 7 (the Pillars of Equestria season) back in 2017. Some pretty heavily, some loosely. Some of the issues even came out BEFORE the episodes they referenced, which was...rare for IDW, to come to the party too early.

So, did anyone see the trailer for the upcoming Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers movie coming to Disney+?
Yep.

No idea how this is happening, in the real world from a business standpoint and in the movie universe itself, but...yep.

They're not even generics. They're in a strange artsyle, but those are THE G4 cast.

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Yeah, the Legends of Magic maxiseries and issues 51-60 tied into Season 7 (the Pillars of Equestria season) back in 2017. Some pretty heavily, some loosely. Some of the issues even came out BEFORE the episodes they referenced, which was...rare for IDW, to come to the party too early.
Intriguingly, I wasn't talking about that. What I had in mind was was the mystery arc in Manehattan with Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, and the CMC. An earlier writer did minor foreshadowing when they got wind of the character overlap the other writer/artist team was using.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
An LO! There came more comics! G5 is getting it's first IDW comics issue on May 5

MLP-G5-01-coverB.jpg

This cover's pretty cute. Too bad it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the plot of the comic, itself.

Interesting that they're going to Canterlot, since I thought the Pegasus city WAS Canterlot. Unless this is just IDW rendering itself non-canon even faster than normal (I kid, I kid)

But, seriously, we're getting news of the COMICS before the SHOW? C'mon Netflix, give us a trailer already!
I'm honestly surprised they expect to still have the license then.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
IDW must have begged to keep the license. Begged. Creative mishaps or not, these comics were a surprise hit with actual kids.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
There's also the unfortunate reality that not a lot of comic publishers are really eager to do "kid's comics". Kid's comics are really treated poorly in the industry. I doubt Image/Skybound was even really interested in MLP. And...I can see how there can be concerns. Kid's comics might have more scrutiny on them from parents...without actually SELLING more to justify the potential problems, if someone finds something they object to.

And...most western comic writers and artists have more experience drawing superheroes than anything else, since...that makes up about 80% of the market (a percentage that I expertly researched, I assure you...didn't just make that up, nosir!). Cartoony horses are kind of outside most artists expertise. And it makes it hard to find people who can draw them, without either heavily relying on other images or changing the artstyle completely (see: the small controversy of the Generations artist using a LOT of reference material that was copied FAIRLY closely, or the sad case of Jay Fosgitt who had a unique style the fandom didn't embrace). So, getting people who can actually work well on these kind of books can be kind of tricky, since you almost need to find people who are already fans of the franchise.

I'm not sure most comic companies KNOW how to work with a licensed book that isn't a action series. Worse comes to worse, if a writer doesn't know the characters well, they can always fall back on action comics cliches most of the time. But, with MLP being focused SO MUCH on personal interaction, knowing the characters is a MUST. You can't just cover it up by...introducing evil robot clones of the main cast or something.

Most licensed comics already have a little bit of a stigma attached to them, anyway. Since they can be seen from some as "cynical cash grabs".

MLP being a kid's comic AND a licensed comic AND focusing on mostly slice of life personal stories might just be too much for most publishers.

And that's not even getting into the licensing fee, which...I have no idea if Hasbro is asking for a lot based on how big G4 got, but it's probably too much for a smaller indie publisher, anyway.

Even Boom, which WAS focusing on doing some licensed kids comics, really seems to have cut back. They're still doing Buffy/Firefly, Magic the Gathering, and of course the Power Rangers comics as far as licensed stuff goes (and all of these are focusing on a older nostalgia market). But, their Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Steven Universe comics all ended, and they never replaced them with stuff like Craig of the Creek or Victor and Valentino or Infinity Train. Boom seems to be cutting back on their licensed books a little just in general.

Back in the day, Archie might have been a option. But...they actually haven't had a proper ongoing title for a while now, focusing mostly on digests, and a one-shot here and there. And sometimes I get the feeling that the Riverdale TV show might be the only thing keeping the lights on over there.

There's probably a bunch of indie publishers that might be willing to give it a shot, but then you're dealing with a company that's even smaller than IDW and fewer stores would probably carry it. IDW is probably still the least worst option. IDW was the only one doing the younger-focused Star Wars and Sonic the Hedgehog books.

Now, the MLP comics definitely sold. Really surprisingly high numbers for a while. This was a licensed book that could support two ongoing series for most of it's run! That's really rare. But...I think everyone's a little worried that G5 won't be as popular as G4. I can understand most publishers being hesitant to jump onboard, right now.

Intriguingly, I wasn't talking about that. What I had in mind was was the mystery arc in Manehattan with Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, and the CMC. An earlier writer did minor foreshadowing when they got wind of the character overlap the other writer/artist team was using.

Ah, MLP 21 and Friends Forever 6 circa 2014! I forgot about that.
https://tedlyanderson.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F94635881434

Last edited:

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen

Well it looks like we're getting a whole new cast to do the voices. I'm honestly surprised. I mean a lot of the people who did the voices in the movie have done and do a lot of TV work. I figured they'd have no problem staying on. Not sure why we're swapping them out.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I would have liked more time with the movie cast but the TV cast might be great too. This franchise has never had bad voice acting.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I'd bet we'll see the movie voices again in the sequel to the movie. A movie sequel is almost inevitable at this point. And with as many celebrities as we got, having them do the TV shows too might have cost a little too much.

In other news, we've gotten a little look into what the 2D series will look like. As a reminder, we're getting a 2D series on Youtube AND Netflix called "Tell Your Tale" starting on April 7. And a separate 3D show on Netflix alone called "Make Your Mark". The first 3D special will air on May 26. Then the actual 3D show will start September 26. Then we get a 3D holiday special on November 21.

AVvXsEgP614v3_ZhtgZIsLDzfCmqhguPX72vQs2U45myNWttV_AL851dkqt_hVlxSUZUmTOd364rKvRpr8OqUmjki7U_NcsCjBl6k54eh6DwhNMACrF_BfDAliqZJ4TLh-JYQWJZT9Ptr0MYr7zH6QVwkVpu3UKhor8nocnxCDUzrDA4ncQEo8CuxwUJQIX22A=s960
AVvXsEjfAgGsSOEaa_d_o7Nj9zXiUBLth1wTxk6lEtm9Nfas6urLAsc0V8xIpWMd7UdeaPjiwWRe0rsURc6AkNq5YmK9avKOBisJ0QGpXaNnt2MFNuNsgaDSzrLTSQTiF6RvDIuNqA-YyNG6BMqtbySKvhBEGC6eOcV2CdXNIAI_2dEji_UVefzmrmm55xV0pw=s557

...Yeah, I'm going to need to see more of this in motion before I make any judgements, but...it definitely looks "off" to me. Not sure we really needed a Pony Life style show before the main show even premieres.

But...maybe they're taking more time with the 3D show. Because, it looks like the 3D show might actually look like the movie, which is something I doubted, personally. Hoping we get something for the 3D show/Make Your Mark sooner rather than later.

Also, Sunny definitely seems to be keeping that rainbow streak in her hair.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Beanmouth is a mistake that should be covered up so that future generations can never discover our shame.

Otherwise they might be on to something. Pony Life was jarringly trivial after 9 seasons of heroes doing hero things. This at least won't have that problem.

And the entire teaser is from the perspective of Pipp's camera in selfie mode. That seems like the right tone. They could do a Pony Life style YouTube show that takes place entirely in the background of Pipp's selfies and I could see myself calling it a masterpiece.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Smell like a pony...

For the low price 6600 yen (or about $49.50) you could smell like your favorite Mane 6 pony!

If they don't have Applejack's perfume smell like apples, they're doing something wrong.

This just amuses me. And it's still G4 based. Hasbro hasn't completely embraced the new generation quite yet.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Tales is such a weird beast. It has a good cast, writing that at least tried, some gold dialog, and nightmare animation.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I feel like it's telling, both good and bad, that she just can't stop giggling throughout this video.

I can't bring myself to hate Tales. It might be terrible in a LOT of ways, but it's memorably terrible. That counts for something.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I need to take another look at it sometime. I remember Zamuel suggesting that a later episode should have been aired first, and it got me wondering if maybe the whole show ended up out of order. The show is always going to be laughably terrible but maybe some of the up and down characterization is fixable.

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
I don't think I've watched Tales since the original airing in the early 90's. And even then, I just didn't care about it. Tales being set in a modernized world didn't appeal to me.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I absolutely loved Tales. It was much better than that awful piece of crap G3. Teddy will always be best pony.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Teddy is the main reason I want to see if the episodes can be reordered. What if he wasn't written to backtrack a couple times, and the episodes are just out of order?

Top Bottom