Allsparkle General Discussion

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Spoilers for G5, but Shadowy Alicorn MIGHT have a name.

Opaline.

There's also a map:
1920x0w.webp

It's a bit Sailor Moon. Kind of appropriate, I guess.

But, uh...yeah, it looks like Opaline's Dark Castle is the ruins of Canterlot. *Looks side-eyed at the IDW comics* Well, you had a few months before being contradicted, anyway. *SIGH* I mean, it's not quite contradicted yet, but...yeah...

I know the very first issue of IDW contradicted Sunny's Lighthouse being rebuilt AFTER the Make Your Mark special, but...you could kind of shrug that off, maybe the Rainbow Brighthouse just LOOKS a lot like Sunny's Lighthouse on the inside from certain angles. Being right in a villains lair without her noticing feels like another issue entirely.

Especially since, I can just IMAGINE that when they arrive in Opaline's palace in the season finale, they'll all be "WOW! Canterlot! I can't believe we're here!" and...that wouldn't make sense if they've already BEEN here, would it?

Last edited:

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen

So, I was bored out my mind at work one day last week and did a TVTropes wiki-walk. Like any wiki-walk, I have no idea what steps I took to get the link for the above fan-fic.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Warning, goes deep into the consequences of depression, bullying and suicide.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I managed to wean myself off TVTropes years ago, but it's good to know the experience hasn't changed a bit.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Pez dispensers are the candy equivalent of talk shows everyone does because everyone does. Or the candy equivalent of Funko Pops. People collect Funko Pops because you can collect everyone as a Funko Pop. It's a unified collection of everything.

It's something though. It would be a snub if G5 couldn't get a Pez dispenser.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I'm just saying, I don't think Filly Funtasia ever got Pez dispensers. Or Mysticons. Or...even some "notable" Nick or Cartoon Network shows, like Angry Beavers or the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Does the Owl House or Amphibia have Pez dispensers? I don't think so!

You have to pass a CERTAIN pop culture-status to get Pez dispensers. Or the company just has to have them made for more merchandising. One of the two. I'll be honest, I'm not sure how this works.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's fair. It's worth noting that G4 isn't known to have gotten Pez dispensers until a few years into its run. It's not something that automatically happens when Hasbro launches a new gen, and it's still not something they do every year. It does take some status to make this happen, however it happens.

Launching with a movie on Netflix and TikTok was a good idea. It had reach.

I'm gonna watch it again.

spikeriley

Citizen
I'm just saying, I don't think Filly Funtasia ever got Pez dispensers. Or Mysticons. Or...even some "notable" Nick or Cartoon Network shows, like Angry Beavers or the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Does the Owl House or Amphibia have Pez dispensers? I don't think so!

You have to pass a CERTAIN pop culture-status to get Pez dispensers. Or the company just has to have them made for more merchandising. One of the two. I'll be honest, I'm not sure how this works.

Well, MLP: FiM also got Pez Dispensers when it was airing, so chances are G5 got Pez simply because it is part of a legacy franchise (either that, or they have a deal with Hasbro to make the G5 ponies into Pez).

EDIT: Also, I think it has to do with what the company who makes deals with Pez will allow. Disney seems to ignore shows like the Owl House and Amphibia as when I see Pez of stuff they own, they are either Mickey Mouse, Winnie The Pooh, or whatever upcoming movie Disney wants to push via mechandise.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Now, this is a neat little detail someone found in the movie concerning Opaline...
Apparently, there's a drawing of Opaline's Cutie Mark in what people are assuming is the Crystal Heart.
Capture.JPG

Personally, I think her cutie mark looks more like a "corrupted" version of the Unity Crystals. That's probably what the drawing is ACTUALLY supposed to be in the movie. It's supposed to be a representation of what the Unity Crystals MIGHT look like, since Argyle probably didn't have all of them or knew what they looked like.

But it got me theorizing again...

People keep thinking it's Flurry Heart...but what if this is Sombra's (Great-Great-Great-Whatever-Grand) Daughter? That WOULD explain the fiery eyes on her cutie mark...and her curved horn.

Cue CoffeeHorse watching the movie again in 3...2...1...

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
So, this just dropped.

A cell phone game...that looks a LOT like the console game. So much so that I have to wonder if they reused assets to make both.

Good for them, if so. They built up a lot of environments for that game, it's kind of nice seeing them used again for something. Maybe they aren't even reused, I can't really tell from one trailer.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Nope. The SFM gang has already analyzed the models, and they're actually totally different. As good as those A Maretime Bay Adventure character models are, every game since has started from scratch.

Every game also has a totally different Maretime Bay, and frustratingly AMBA has the least accurate one.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Huh...go figure. I guess it makes sense since cell phone games have completely different necessities than console games, resource-wise. I just thought this Maretime Bay looked a lot like console one.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's the camera angle. At a glance it does look like the console game. Also, Budge Studios uses Unity. So it is the same engine as the console game at least.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
G5 might be getting it's own version of Equestria Girls. Assuming these are legit.

No word on a animated special or anything, but who knows?

3025675.png

Okay, seriously, I don't know anything about dolls. These are probably fine. I just find the meme amusing.

Although, this DOES raise a interesting question...how would G5 Equestria Girls WORK, story-wise? How do you work a post-apocalyptic plot-point into your high school story without breaking everything?

I guess you COULD say that all the magic that left Equestria traveled to the EG dimension. Creating some sort of Shannara situation where magic came back in a mostly magic-less world. Maybe that's where all the other races are. All the griffons and dragons and yaks all evacuated to the EG world to escape the magic disaster on Equestria.

...And the reward for the EG Mane 5 "fixing" the magic on their world is that they have to go to high school. Yeah, I'd probably just break the magic again, if that was the case.

Probably not what Hasbro will go for, but it could be fun to explore. I'm not sure what a equivalent disaster would be in a world revolving around high school. Everyone forced to do remote classes, and in-person classes only resuming NOW? That'd...probably be hitting too close to home, really.

Top Bottom