Allsparkle General Discussion

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
G5 could potentially have the best cast yet, which is saying something because that's something Pony has really never gotten wrong. Even Tales had a good cast.

Sunny is definitely the most instantly lovable lead we've had yet. I am not going to complain if she hogs all the big two-parters.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Her or izzy.

Zipp also has some stuff going on for her: you saw the blackboard, right? All the math to figure out the aerodynamics of pegasi wings and WHY they couldn't fly with them. Plus, she probably built the glider fan, so... total gearhead.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hitch has his mysterious animal magnetism I hope the show never explains no matter how much he begs the heavens to explain it.

Pipp is short.

Sprout is a fascinating pile of complexes and I want to see him get the chance to work through some of his issues.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Sprout immediately went full dictator cause he has mommy issues. He either goes to jail, or goes to therapy. I vote jail cause frankly: that mech was a war crime.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I vote jail because it's only blind luck our hero's survived his antics. He very nearly murdered several ponies.

Caldwin

Citizen
So Generations issue 3 is out. 3 issues in and the G1 ponies finally getting an appearance. It's a non-speaking appearance on the last panel of the last page... but they finally make an appearance.

I want to know who thought it was a good idea to wait until the third issue of a cross-over event to make so much as a non-speaking, one-panel appearance from the other side of the cross-over!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They can still save this. All I want is for IDW to give me Whizzer. And then forget to draw her in every remaining panel after danger strikes.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Wow, they didn't even do a full-page last-page reveal. It's just one panel on one-fifth of a page. Oof. (The least they could've done was have Surprise jump out of a bush yelling "suprise" to...surprise them!)

Yeah, I'm guessing that the G1 crossover in volume 3 of the Manga is going to be the best G1/G4 crossover we get, at least until G5 tries their hand at it.

I have to wonder if there's some reason for this. Because...this would be a fun surprise, if we weren't expecting it. If this was just issues 103-107 with NO spoilers in the solicitations, it would have been kind of a fun build up. But advertising this as a crossover makes this...REALLY underwhelming. Maybe the writer just doesn't know G1 enough to really want to risk writing them for too long a time?

Too bad too, because I don't think the writing here is bad. It feels a bit padded, but I think that's because I'm more looking forward to the actual crossover than seeing more from the school or the witches. But, Fluttershy bringing little monsters to the classroom and things going wrong? Classic! And the stuff with the witches is a lot of fun (and clearly heading towards a reformation, Cozy Glow remains the only TRUE EVIL). Even the S'monies seem to be hinting at a redemption...if they survive being un-smoozed.

Maybe they'll really make the crossover work in the last two issues....but I'm guessing the G1 ponies be treated more like a "group" and not so much "individual characters", if you understand what I mean. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Caldwin

Citizen
I hope your wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're absolutely right. They have not inspired a lot of confidence in this crossover.

Even worse, look at the cutie marks. Galaxy's is just fine. But all the others...they'd have to put more effort into it for it to earn "half-assed."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
If they're aiming for a sense of G1's pacing and avoidance of getting to the point, they're kinda nailing it. G1 is slow and you can never tell where they're going with it.

But G1's characters are surprisingly fun. They deserved more than two issues, even if those two issues turn out to be good.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Not really? Shows over, and there's a new one looming. Can't split the attention of a fickle and restless mass, after all.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is about giving G5 its best possible chance. The way Hasbro sees it, right now G4 is competition for eyeballs.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
It's weird because as far as I know all the old G3 movies will remain on Netflix. Equestria Girls is also being removed, and that's not going to compete with Gen 5 in any way shape or form unless they are trying the same gimmick as a side thing for Gen 5 and I doubt it.

Saying G4 is competition for G5 makes a sort of sense I guess. I just really doubt it matters that much. I suppose you can argue with me that the previous gens of pony are still on there because who cares, but then why renew your license for only those, and not include G4?

Of course from what I hear. Netflix only had up to season 8, while season 9 and Pony Life are on Hulu, so I have no clue what they're thinking.

Caldwin

Citizen
Maybe season 9 being on Hulu is exactly why Netflix is letting it go. Having 1-8 and then being like " to finish this series head on over to Hulu" may be enough reason in itself to drop it.

Between DVD sets and Prime Video I have the entire series. So it really makes no difference to me personally. I just can't wait until G5 gets going full swing.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Equestria girls wasn't as popular, and might have had it's life span on netflix tied to the original show. I doubt the G3 stuff is considered popular enough to be a "threat" to viewership.

Frankly: I agree with you that g4 probably isn't popular enough anymore to directly impact the viewership: but then business decisions these days are quite removed from reality, and they don't want to take any risk to the new iteration of the property.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They're not worried about popularity among people who know better. They're worried about clueless parents clicking the wrong show.

I guess they figure G3 is more obviously different.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Which is a damning statement of competence: cause my three year old niece navigates netflix better than her parents do.

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, kinda stupid I know. But I just noticed something.

Ghostbusters Afterlife at the 27:10 mark, Podcast gives Phoebe a USB drive in the shape on Rainbow Dash.

That will be all.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Yup, saw that in the theater: but geeked out internally about it, cause no one else seemed to notice or care.

Top Bottom