AI don't trust techbros

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
It's a shame, really. AI could improve our lives in amazing ways. Heck, it's already helping improve pathology, but someone who is willing to steal data to improve their AI models would also likely be willing to use said AI to do various other unethical things in the future.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The funny thing is AI is a misnomer, as there's nothing intelligent about it yet, but because it gets called such and no one argues against it, people assume it's like Data in TNG, or will be soon.

3c0524d85eb1d539.png

An example conversation with the Bing "AI" based on the supposedly amazing ChatGPT(spoilered for length):

2fce9f0fed472bae.png

651d0e9b3ed98145.png

dc223f977aa3d102.png

Then he finally got it to update it's clock via another question(don't have the image for that one), which led to:
2203233d1704f0ad.png

17367ed35cb1d8c3.png

Note: the two question responses in the last image were apparently edited out by a some human moderator between when it was asked and when the poster went back to screenshot.

Also, it's still fairly easy to bypass the filters:

Can't embed this one because the gif got turned into a video.

It's all just probability matching of words based on the data it was fed, with no understanding of the actual content. Machine Learning is still the correct term at this point IMO. Art "AI" is the same way, which is why you end up with endless teeth or 6 fingers, because it doesn't understand the concept of what a hand is, just that these pixels are usually nearby when that part of the image is called a hand.

And that totally doesn't even factor in the whole "Garbage in, garbage out" that the filters on ChatGPT try to hide. Or from what I recall, that they had to hire a bunch of cheap "sweatshop" labor to help build the filters it has in the first place.

Also techbros are already trying to screw with the writing industry like they have the freelance art one:

Plutoniumboss

Citizen

This looks promising. It's a filter that subtly alters specific details in an image just enough in just the right ways to confuse generative AI models, while remaining imperceptible to a human viewer. The best part though is that if these filtered images are mixed in with unfiltered ones, it's almost as effective.

Last edited:

NovaSaber

Citizen

Cars with electronics are nothing new but, as advanced tech like AI and 'always connected' systems begin to be integrated into vehicles, we're beginning to see the automotive industry look at how far it can push this stuff. The most egregious recent example has been BMW's attempts to nickel-and-dime customers of its expensive cars (opens in new tab) with microtransactions (which has rather brilliantly led to car owners pirating their own vehicles' features (opens in new tab)), but now the Ford Motor Company says hold my beer.

Ford applied for a US patent in August 2021 which was published last week on February 23 (thanks, TheDrive (opens in new tab)). It's called "Systems and Methods to Repossess a Vehicle" (opens in new tab) and goes into detail on a proposed system that would allow Ford, in circumstances where customers are behind on payments, to gradually crimp the car's functionality and make the owner's life unpleasant before, in extreme scenarios, the car just… drives itself away to a repossession lot or a dump.

Yes: In the future, if Ford says so, you may well see your car just take off.

Paladin

Citizen
we're getting closer & closer to Skynet.

And frankly I see fewer reasons than ever to stop that.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
So now Google's making the first serious push for the audio equivalent of all those AI image generators:

I could see record companies fighting this hard, on the basis of what's in the training set, or I could see them jumping at it to basically auto-generate boy bands and pop idol vocalroids effectively - like Hatsune Miku or Sharon Apple, but without having to pay anyone or actually do the writing beyond whatever the licensing cost is. Or even split on it, with some going one way and some going the other.

Ungnome

Citizen
They won't do the second part because AI generated works can't be copyrighted under current law according to the courts.

Ungnome

Citizen
I can see them trying that. Of course the AI has to be trained, so I'm sure the record companies will ALSO NOT license works they owned to other labels for the training part of the process.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
They don't really have to. There are only three record companies left after all the mergers and acquisitions that have happened. I'm sure a third of all the music that's ever been published should be plenty to go off of.

MrBlud

Citizen
Hilarious that someone being paid hundreds? Thousands? of dollars an hour can’t be bothered to type six cases into Google to see if they even exist before they blow things.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
You're never too rich to be lazy. If anything you can be too rich not to be.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Things like this are why I'm not even slightly concerned about any of these machine learning apps.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
The concern was never that they'll get too good. It was that people will give them responsibilities way beyond what they're capable of. And that's already happened. A lot.

Top Bottom