A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away.... - Star Wars General Discussion

Ironbite4

Citizen
RISE RISE YOU THREAD OF YOR!

So, bout the time the Mandolorian was wrapping up season 2, Gina Carano was all set to become the new face of Star Wars. Then she opened her mouth on Twitter and Disney/Lucasfilm said, "Yeah not gonna give you a contract sorry." And she was sad. So she went off and made a movie that was so bad, nobody saw it. Including the cast and crew. Fun times. But don't worry folks, learning from Vic Mignogia, Carano has a foolproof plan to get herself back into Star Wars.

She's suing.

Ironbite-I haven't stopped laughing. I have to see a doctor.

Dake

Citizen
LOL. Nothing makes a good show better than forcing everyone to WORK WITH YOU OR ELSE!

Also - the irony of the whole thing is pretty incredible.

Axaday

Citizen
This has always been a strange idea to me. I do understand that there are situations where someone needs their job so badly that this seems like their best option, but it would be very difficult for me to cross the bridge to "Force my way back to a job where I was fired". It would be really uncomfortable probably forever.

In this case where her job is just a project at a time, it just doesn't go.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
She was an anti-vaxer right? Nope, after looking into it, she said the following on Instagram before deleting it:

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.”

She was an anti-mask person though, so I really don't care for her personally, since I lost a few people and my family and I got really sick because of the anti-mask folk. However, if her actions did lead to her not getting something like a show that she was promised, even in just a conversation, then she is entitled to sue for compensation that she should have received from that series. That seems to be what she is doing here. She isn't suing to make them make her a star again, just suing for compensation for wrongful termination and breach of contract.

Honestly, as abhorrent as that is to say or think to compare oneself with the plight of those in the holocaust, I have to feel that the whole cancel culture has gone too far when regulating people's thoughts and feelings by ensuring that they cannot live or work in society.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
ON a side note, I found this when I was looking up why she was cancelled.

In a post on social media platform X, Carano noted that when others avoided her, and she was booted from the streaming series “Mandalorian,” Weathers reached out.

“Hearing the news of Carl Weathers passing today is shocking, I’m going to struggle through these words,” she wrote. “I was so looking forward to giving Carl the biggest hug at one of these fan expos I heard we were both going to be at this year. I looked forward to that reunion.

“Carl called me directly after I was fired. I wasn’t in an emotional state where I could pick up the phone because of how upset I was, but we did end up speaking later on,” she wrote.

“He was gentle and encouraging and didn’t want me to give up, he was letting me know that he wasn’t throwing me away, he was trying to keep my hope alive in what seemed like quite hopeless scenario, he showed me he cared. That is who he was,” she wrote.

More of a testament to how awesome a person Weathers was, and I think that should be noted in the Star Wars thread since they both worked together on the Mandalorian.

Dake

Citizen
E-wing! Vintage collection with KE4-N4!
E-wing.jpg

Last edited:

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I wish these were cheaper. Id love to buy ships for my son to play with. But no way is he getting a $100 ship.

Dake

Citizen
To be fair, these are expensive because they're closer to the classic 1:18 scale. They have the smaller line too: I'll bet that will get its own E-wing.

Axaday

Citizen
She was an anti-vaxer right? Nope, after looking into it, she said the following on Instagram before deleting it:

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.”

She was an anti-mask person though, so I really don't care for her personally, since I lost a few people and my family and I got really sick because of the anti-mask folk. However, if her actions did lead to her not getting something like a show that she was promised, even in just a conversation, then she is entitled to sue for compensation that she should have received from that series. That seems to be what she is doing here. She isn't suing to make them make her a star again, just suing for compensation for wrongful termination and breach of contract.

Honestly, as abhorrent as that is to say or think to compare oneself with the plight of those in the holocaust, I have to feel that the whole cancel culture has gone too far when regulating people's thoughts and feelings by ensuring that they cannot live or work in society.
It usually isn't the tweet that gets people. It's the digging in. The Instagram could have been fixed up. If you are a celebrity, I would never recommend doing your own social media. Sorry. Make one with a fake name for your friends, but hire someone to manage your brand. But if you didn't do that and now you've tweeted something that is causing a controversy, get expert help immediately and apologize immediately. I've seen it work plenty of times. Whatever your actual opinions, the correct response is "I didn't think it said what it said. I don't believe that." Then it is over. Don't start posting a bunch of pro-semitic stuff behind it. It makes you look guilty. It was just a "mistake". But a certain kind of celebrity digs in and doubles down and starts complaining about people not liking their opinions and pretty soon you can't undo it.

I don't remember if the thing above was her writing or something she just shared. But if she wrote it, she still could have come out fine. For all I know, she was dog whistling, but if she wanted out, she needed to "clarify". "Guys! I don't think people hating me for being anti-mask is like Krystalnacht! I'm saying the infancy of a nightmare like the Holocaust is people hating other people for their opinions. Let's not take a single step down that road!" But I think she and others like her didn't do that because they really do believe they are facing terrible persecution and someone needed to be brave enough to say something about it. She has been very clear in the aftermath that she isn't sorry about anything and never did make a mistake.

----

Her lawsuit is not intended to get her a job. It is intended to show that she is tough and fighting back. Whether or not she actually got a contract broken isn't clear to my Google, but she had already filmed a season and this show just does a season when it is convenient. It isn't a sitcom. It is totally plausible that she just didn't get renewed. Disney isn't making half of the movies in the world without understanding how laws work, so I'm pretty confident that whatever she was legally due, she got. She is specifically suing to get cast back in the show. Well, the show she was on was The Mandalorian and Season 4 has not been greenlit. It was expected that she'd be in Rangers of the New Republic, but the show got cancelled, maybe because of her. They've moved on. They aren't going to make that show because they lost a lawsuit. I just don't think what she's asking for in the suit is serious stuff. If you've been in a hit show and saved your money, it doesn't cost that much to get a lawyer to file a lawsuit. They'll probably quietly drop it. The point was the headlines.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
From what I gathered, Gina wrote something that compared a lot of the bulling going online to the Nazi's of World War 2 and how they came to dominate Germany and what they did to the Jews, it was never offensive, but then somehow, over Beep, Bop, Boop (R2 sounds) it blew into a row where Kathleen Kennedy wanted Gina to do a zoom call with some 40 odd Aplabet people as they were surpposely offened by it and she declined as it was nothing more than a waste of her time and completely pointless and trying to get her to jump through vaious hoops like a trained dog! Thou I believe this was apart of a shadow campain by people working within Lucasfilm, to pretty much derail Jon F plans for Star Wars in general as he put them to shame with a single scene from Mano season 2 and it stole Rise of (No name) thunder, thus pissing them off, while the lead actor, (now voice actor from what I gathered) posted worse things and yet never got fired for it!

In general, it is a whole mess and largely down to the fact there seems to be no oversight of what people who are famous within Disney and beyond cricles are saying online, personally, I think it got out of hand, but the manner of Gina's dismisal, is fishy but with the language used in the post saying that she been fired or not renewed, was rather imploilte and not something one would expect from a cooperation such as Disney but then this company and espeically Lucasfilm have pretty much lost their minds in resent years and they got no plan and the board pretty much treating their shareholders as children when it comes to the upcoming election of board members!

NovaSaber

Citizen
The tweet making the holocaust comparison already was the "doubling down and making things worse" part, not the initial problem.
A merely insensitive level of hyperbole would be an easy thing for almost anyone to apologize for; but she mentioned something so extreme to make a comparison that was completely inverted; she's the one who's on the same side as fascists who try to get laws harming minorities passed.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Indeed. It wasn't a single post that got her fired, it was a series of them. Transphobic comments, tweeting a picture of Jewish caricatures playing monopoly on the backs of workers, etc. The fact that after she got fired from Disney that her first thought wast to run to Ben Shapiro to help that little weasel make movies is telling.

Axaday

Citizen
Celebrities are people, I know. But if I became a celebrity, no one would ever know what I thought about anything other than my show. I think they sometimes do some good raising awareness about things, but I don't think they ever change anyone's mind. People who agree with them appreciate having their own opinions come out of a celebrities mouth, but I think the people who disagree always say "He's just an actor. What does he know?" I think my opinions are right and hers are wrong and I think I can back a lot of it up, but so does she. Why have all the grief? Promote your show. Talk about food. Talk about your dog. Don't tell the public how you would fix the world.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
To be fair, these are expensive because they're closer to the classic 1:18 scale. They have the smaller line too: I'll bet that will get its own E-wing.
Actually, Micro Galaxy Squadron is done by Jazwares :p

Either way, I'm betting an E-Wing in that scale within the next year, I'm waiting for that myself. I don't have the space or money for a 1/18 E-Wing. I can swing a 4-5" ship for $20, though.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Andor: Season 1 and Obi-Wan Kenobi: The Complete Series will be the next two former-Disney+ "exclusive" Star Wars shows to get the physical media treatment. Disney is continuing the trend of individual format releases, so 4K and Blu-ray will be alone in their individual steelbooks. I'm sure Disney is looking forward to finally actually making some profit off these shows.

As before, Star Wars will be paired with 2 entries from the MCU's lineup of shows, this time Moon Knight and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I was hoping Ms. Marvel would be among the next ones released, but hopefully we'll get that eventually.

Last edited:

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Not so sure how much Disney proper will be making off of those since they sold off their physical media division to Sony.

Top Bottom