A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away.... - Star Wars General Discussion

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I wonder who Mel Brooks got to sculpt them? They weren't 3.75 scale like the Kenner SW figures of yore (George probably made that a stipulation -- yes, there was an agreement with LFL regarding the making of the film), but they didn't look something just thrown together, either.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Probably. If you don't collect 3.75 scale, pictures do not prepare you for how small they really are. Adult hands would absolutely swallow them up on camera.

Dake

Citizen
I wonder who Mel Brooks got to sculpt them? They weren't 3.75 scale like the Kenner SW figures of yore (George probably made that a stipulation -- yes, there was an agreement with LFL regarding the making of the film), but they didn't look something just thrown together, either.
I would assume the same random prop makers that did the rest of the models for the movie.

And yeah - 3.75 would've been too small, they look like they may have been 5" - 6"?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

source.gif

That looks neat. I am a little concerned when I heard about the writing staff for this though.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
What did you hear about them?

I heard that they brought in some folks that have never even seen Star Wars before. Their justification was to ensure that the stories work as stories and not just fan service. While I get that, it makes me cringe to think that they had people working on it that have never seen the OT or the prequels, or understands the universe.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Generally speaking, it's been when they bring in folks with deep ties to the franchise that the stories have taken a nose-dive, not the other way around. I'm willing to wait and see.

Dake

Citizen
I read that interview and have no problem with it. Not fundamentally working as a story is chiefly why the sequels wound up like they are. It tends to be the major issue with many big legacy properties: they sacrifice basic quality hoping nostalgia and fan service will make up for it.

Andor was incredible because it gets the basics right first, telling a compelling story. Existing in the Star Wars universe is just the bonus (Frankly it's what I continue to wish for the Transformers universe).

Axaday

Citizen
I think it is a good idea to "bring in" outsiders, provided that we aren't kicking out insiders and that people with a fundamental understanding of Star Wars are still at the reigns and are paying attention. I think that last part showed up with recent movies in a place that won't be controversial to talk about. Leaving aside our opinions of the movies we actually got, Solo was extensively reshot and destroyed its budget and the spotlight movie series because the people in charge were very slow to realize that the movie being made wasn't what they wanted. And Episode 9's director was dismissed very late for apparently the same reason, bringing JJ back with a shorter deadline than he should've had to rework and finish the movie. That shouldn't happen.

I don't understand how the whole structure works now, but I THINK they corrected this. I think everything getting worked on has to get cleared with Dave Filoni and that he can see things going off course (at least to his opinion) a mile away.

Axaday

Citizen
I read one of her books quite a few years back because I loved the idea of a Clone trooper squad having their own personalities. This was back before Clone Wars. I didn't like the book.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I actually like both Traviss and Filoni for their different takes. Although the more time away from Lucas, Filoni does seem to adapt more of what Traviss had done. Not sure why I tend to like Traviss's Republic Commando material more than most. Maybe it reads different to someone who was military at the time.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I read one of her books quite a few years back because I loved the idea of a Clone trooper squad having their own personalities. This was back before Clone Wars. I didn't like the book.
That's fair. I liked the Republic Commando series, but a few felt there was quite a bit of Author Soapboxing about how the Jedi Order had lost their collective way, etc., etc., even as it deftly retcon-patched some of the pre-Prequel Trilogy bits (such as Callista Masana and her pre-Purge memories or Fenn Shysa from the vintage Marvel Comics Mandalore arc) and gave us an NCO's-eye view of the Clone Wars to complement the views we'd gotten on screen.

I do feel she was done a bit dirty by LFL, but licensed writing is regrettably prone to such things. It usually doesn't happen in close-to-real-time though. Hopefully she hasn't had to deal with shorted residuals as some other Legends EU writers have post-Disney-acquisition.

Anyway, I'm not here to beat on Filoni (though I bring up his Mandalore arc as a caution that we shouldn't assume he can do no wrong). That said, I do miss Kal Skirata, as much as he'd just like to be left alone out of history's way I think he'd be a good source of advice for the younger Kryze. (Shysa, of course, would be off to Tatooine to try to recruit the Son of Jango -- although given his chaotic rise in the fringe he might be a more controversial figure than before.)

Last edited:

Top Bottom