40th Anniversary Haslab: RID2001 Omega Prime

Blot

Citizen
I still wanted a Primus/Cybertron because that felt more "40th" appropriate, but this new God Fire Convoy does seem to fix my biggest issues that the originals had.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Well 🤬 yet another haslab I really want and there is no way in hades I can come up with the money to back it with everything else going on. This sucks!
Not even with your tax refund? It is tax time now, after all.

I still wanted a Primus/Cybertron because that felt more "40th" appropriate,
A thought just crossed my mind. Maybe they're saving Primus for the 50th anniversary.

I mean, had they done Primus now, what would be more special for them to do for the 50th?

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Thing is, the Encore wound up being skipped by many partially for price and partially for QC nightmares. This really isn't bad, though it does strike me as similar to Tidal Wave in implementation. Several action features dropped for upsizing and improved structural stability and posability.

It's been a bit of a mess on my side, I'm actually selling several things I like to make things work, so spending $250 on this, just...won't. But like Tidal Wave, I greatly look forwards to the picture forums!

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I still wanted a Primus/Cybertron because that felt more "40th" appropriate, but this new God Fire Convoy does seem to fix my biggest issues that the originals had.

Third party option is about but I think Hasbro would rather not do Primus right now, because:
1. You get less profit from such a large figure as not everyone has room for such a large bot
2. Learning from Unicron as they had to extend the campain date to get him fully funded, thou they were also in the early days of Haslab and have learned a lot more since then across their various campains and that not just Transformers but Gi Joe & Star Wars, thou Star Wars suffered a bit from the general bad behavor of Lucasfilm and them not getting the colours right for the promo of one of their potential products, but that is a different topic!

Echowarrior

Citizen
Well, I'm onboard for Omega Prime. Gotta wonder if the third party providers will be producing any missiles to go with Bluebolts...

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Third party option is about but I think Hasbro would rather not do Primus right now, because:
1. You get less profit from such a large figure as not everyone has room for such a large bot
2. Learning from Unicron as they had to extend the campain date to get him fully funded, thou they were also in the early days of Haslab and have learned a lot more since then across their various campains and that not just Transformers but Gi Joe & Star Wars, thou Star Wars suffered a bit from the general bad behavor of Lucasfilm and them not getting the colours right for the promo of one of their potential products, but that is a different topic!

I still don't believe that they would have let Unicron fail. Didn't we have the designers talk about all the extra stuff that they had to include because their bosses wanted to make their X number of backers? But beyond the X amount of interest Unicron had garnered, the fact that it is all internal controlled crowd funding and easy to fudge numbers like when all the international store pre-orders were added at the end, the amount of work it had already been put into it before the crowd funding even began and you know continued while the extended campaign went on, and that the whole HasLab crowd funding idea would likely shutdown if successive projects didn't hit their goal as they had recently failed the last two I think at that point(at least one, I can't recall off the top of my head though). How poorly those campaigns were received, I would really like to know.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
If I did have any one nitpick to make about this set, it's that I was hoping it would be smaller. The original was pretty heavy, even without the batteries. And it towered over so many other figures in the line. In the show, the Autobot Brothers each came up to Optimus's torso, while their toys instead came up to Prime's waist because he was so much taller than them. Same with Magnus being gargantuan in height when compared to everyone else.

I get that they probably made them that big because of Optimus's standard robot mode needing to be equal in height to the G2 Laser Optimus mold that was used to make Scourge, and because Magnus needed to be able to carry the Deluxe-sized Autobots in vehicle mode (X-Brawn and the Build Team were especially chunky in their altmodes), but modern-day Scourges made from modern-day Laser Optimuses are smaller than the original mold, and modern-day Deluxe vehicles are typically less massive than the original X-Brawn and Build Team members were.

So making the whole set a bit smaller would not only size better with some of the original toys, but also with today's Legacy molds. Optimus in particular is going to be a giant in his standard robot mode when placed next to the likes of Siege OP, Earthrise/Kingdom OP, Legacy Laser OP, and Legacy Armada OP (in his own standard robot mode). And if he's that much taller than any of those versions of G1 Optimus, then it'll be tricky to recreate The Oath of Iron:

Convoy_and_Fire_Convoy.jpg

Shadhausen

Citizen
Yeah, I think that's my big hang-up with these guys. I think the scale with any other RID-based toys we get (and heck, any other Optimus toys) is going to be way off.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Designer notes from Evan:

Hello Transformer fans!

I hope you all enjoyed today's Haslab reveal of OMEGA PRIME!

I did once say that "We'd never do an Optimus as a Haslab!" Boy am I glad to have been so wrong.

Making this a Haslab really allowed us to plus up the offering and make the figures the best they can be.

It was such an honor to work on this set of figures with Yuki san over at Takara Tomy. He 100% took the reigns on this one with his passion on how to improve over the original figures that he himself worked on back in the day. Whenever he would send video updates of how the model was functioning, he would play the japanese theme song in the background and hum along (it was adorable). If you've never heard the original Japanese Car Robots opening theme song, I really recommend you look it up as it's an absolute bop. The singer did the songs of another franchise I dearly love and put his heart and soul in every song he did.

Back to these amazing figures, they are an absolute joy to play with and a complete distraction that I need to store away from my office or I just don't get any work done.

Deco wise, we based it off the Animation/ Encore figures which is why Optimus has the C-001 license plate and the white coloring will be a more pure metallic white instead of the vanilla off color white of the original toy release.

Tires are all molded ABS plastic so they will not degrade like the original figures (my originals have all started to crack so I know the pain many have gone through.).

There are no electronics or spring loaded gimmicks in these figures which really allowed us to better utilize the space they took up and make these the best they can be. Each figure has ankle joints so posing them is a dream.

Combined modes feel solid and I hope you all will be pleased with playing and posing them out.

Please be on the lookout for Backer updates as we continue forward!

This also confirms something else: Evan's a Digimon fan! :D

Last edited:

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
But what do I do with my yellow Universe RID Prime?

Oh, right, leave him on the shelf because he makes me chuckle. Never mind.

Top Bottom