40th Anniversary Haslab: RID2001 Omega Prime

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Backed. As an Early Birthday/Late Christmas gift from my parents. Basically my Dad said "I would have got it for you if it had listed before the Holidays like in the past, 'close enough'."

I can now try not to think about how far in the future I'll actually see a toy from this. (Too far.)

-ZacWilliam, and I guess I've committed to buying any other RID guys they do in the next two years at least...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Stuck at 4999 backers. I so want to be #5000 but I just can't.

We've hit the halfway point!

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 11-20-10 Transformers Legacy Robots in Disguise 2001 Omega Prime.png

Shadhausen

Citizen
Wait a minute - Fall of 2025?!?!? Seriously??? That seems rather egregious. Haven't all the others been roughly a year?

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
It seems far enough that I'm holding out hope it's a typo/mistake.

-ZacWilliam, but even if it isn't, I can be patient.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
After the Encore fiasco maybe they want to be really sure they'll have enough time to triple check the factory's work.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Wait a minute - Fall of 2025?!?!? Seriously??? That seems rather egregious. Haven't all the others been roughly a year?
Unicron's (final) deadline was in October 2019. His release was first in February 2021: sixteen months (would have been eighteen if not for the funding extension)

Victory Saber's deadline was in October 2021. His release was first in November 2022: thirteen months

Deathsaurus's deadline was in December 2022. His release was first in December 2022: twelve months

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
So after a day to think about, I think I can articulate my thoughts a bit better. As a standalone piece, I think this new Omega Prime is great. He looks like he'll be a fantastic figure, and would be a great centerpiece.

My issue is, I don't want a centerpiece. I like to group my figures into collections. I would tend to group him with either other Optimus Primes and other leaders, or other RiD figures. In either case, he would't fit in any way I'd be happy with. Instead of blending into the set, he'd stand out due to his enormous size.

That's long been one of my issues with the original. I didn't think anything of the core Optimus robot being Ultra sized when I first got him. That was just standard at the time. But then the RiD finale aired, and seeing Galvatron be the same size as Omega Prime just felt so much better. After all, it was hard to take the villain as any serious threat if all Optimus has to do is combine with UM and then step on him.

After Armada Optimus made the core robot more of a Voyager size and most iterations since have followed suit, I've been happily converting to a unified scale that's basically centered on the Optimus figure of each universe as a Voyager. I would have loved to have a new RiD Optimus and UM that fit into that collection. A Commander Optimus like Legacy Armada Prime would have been perfect. The originals are too big. These new ones make that problem even worse. For me, the other improvements just aren't worth the trade off.

I'm also just really disappointed that there's still no Primus incoming. I love my Unicron, but he absolutely is a centerpiece right now. And as already mentioned, I'm not real big on having a standalone centerpiece. I was really looking forward to being able to match him up with a counterpart. Having a Primus would be neat in and of itself, but retroactively improving Unicron even more by his mere presence would really make me happy.

Onyx

Citizen
I really want to back this, as I LOVE 2001 RID. However, I think these would've been better as Legacy releases at Leader class size. A Wal-Mart, Amazon and Target (United) RID Capsule could of given us most of the shows cast in one wave.

Core

Gas-Skunk
Darkscream
Slapper

Deluxe

Sideburn
X-Brawn
Prowl
Skid-Z

Voyager

Sky-Byte

Leader

Optimus Prime
Ultra Magnus

Commander

Megatron

Titan (Gen Selects)

Fort Max

Combiners (Amazon)

Rail Racer
Build King

Combiner (Pulse Reissue)

CW Ruination

Spychangers (2x Target Buzzworthy 4 packs at Deluxe size)

Hot Shot, R.E.V., Ironhide & Mirage
W.A.R.S., Crosswise, Side Swipe & Daytonus

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
But then the RiD finale aired, and seeing Galvatron be the same size as Omega Prime just felt so much better.
That was an animation error.

Before he turned into his robot mode for the end of their battle, Galvatron's griffin mode was indeed of comparable size to Omega Prime, but that part was not an error. I just compared my original Omega to the griffin mode of the BotCon 2005 Deathsaurus (was fiddling with him the other day, so I have him readily available to compare with), and sure enough, the griffin mode splays the figure's mass outward to be of comparable size to Omega Prime.

But in robot mode, Galvatron isn't supposed to be the same size as Omega. The show was consistent about that up until that final part of their battle of the Earth's core, when Omega acquired the Matrix Blade, Galvatron transformed from griffin to robot mode, and the two were suddenly drawn in similar height for about 18 seconds.

Shadewing

Citizen
Why not just reissue the UW toy? Lotta folks (like me) missed out on that one.

I skipped that one at the time specifically because I wouldn't have anyone to display it with; Similar to God Neptune. But now we're getting RiD and BW2 stuff it makes me annoyed to have missed them.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
That was an animation error.

Before he turned into his robot mode for the end of their battle, Galvatron's griffin mode was indeed of comparable size to Omega Prime, but that part was not an error. I just compared my original Omega to the griffin mode of the BotCon 2005 Deathsaurus (was fiddling with him the other day, so I have him readily available to compare with), and sure enough, the griffin mode splays the figure's mass outward to be of comparable size to Omega Prime.

But in robot mode, Galvatron isn't supposed to be the same size as Omega. The show was consistent about that up until that final part of their battle of the Earth's core, when Omega acquired the Matrix Blade, Galvatron transformed from griffin to robot mode, and the two were suddenly drawn in similar height for about 18 seconds.

Not arguing otherwise. I know Megatron spent most of his time up on his dais with no one directly next to him, or flying up in the sky with no one nearby. And RiD relied heavily on stock attack animations followed by cuts to the target getting hit. But he did occasionally stand next to others, and he never seemed that giant.

Regardless, those 18 seconds happened, and they felt right. He's the big threat in that series. He shouldn't struggle to reach past Omega Prime's knees like the toys.

Ultimately, the exact relative size compared to Galvatron isn't the point. Compared to ANY other figure from the RiD line besides Magnus, Optimus was oversized relative to the animation. More realistically, I know the toy scaling was based on Magnus carrying the brothers and Optimus was scaled down in animation, but the animation much better matches what I would like to have on my shelf. Loading the brothers onto Magnus is kinda neat, but not something I'm ever going to do for more than a few seconds for the hell of it

Shadewing

Citizen
Not arguing otherwise. I know Megatron spent most of his time up on his dais with no one directly next to him, or flying up in the sky with no one nearby. And RiD relied heavily on stock attack animations followed by cuts to the target getting hit. But he did occasionally stand next to others, and he never seemed that giant.

Regardless, those 18 seconds happened, and they felt right. He's the big threat in that series. He shouldn't struggle to reach past Omega Prime's knees like the toys.

Ultimately, the exact relative size compared to Galvatron isn't the point. Compared to ANY other figure from the RiD line besides Magnus, Optimus was oversized relative to the animation. More realistically, I know the toy scaling was based on Magnus carrying the brothers and Optimus was scaled down in animation, but the animation much better matches what I would like to have on my shelf. Loading the brothers onto Magnus is kinda neat, but not something I'm ever going to do for more than a few seconds for the hell of it

Don't worry, next Haslab they'll do RID Megatron and he'll be scaled to Omega Prime just like the animation.

Shadewing

Citizen
Don't do that, my wallet is in enough agony already.

Considering we got Victory Sabre one year (Autobot Leader and friend that combine together) and then the next was Deathsaurus the Decepticon Leader counter to them; We're now getting Omega Prime (Autobot Leader and friend that combine together); so it seems very likely they're gonna release the Decepticon Leader counter to them next; as I personally can't see Mega/Giga/Galva tron as anything smaller then Commander class to get all his modes in this day and age.

Top Bottom