40th Anniversary Haslab: RID2001 Omega Prime

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Also, is it just me, or does it look like Bluebolt has someone else's screaming head trapped within his chest?

10_bluebolt_2_2000x-jpg.18963
CAN"T UNSEE!

Dake

Citizen
The Magnus definitely looks like an improvement over the original (his legs don't go all the way up to his pectorals for starters). But now it looks like he should have a smaller bot mode like Optimus - which would honestly be nice as his pants are still too big.

Anyway - happy for others that want them but I'm also happy to sit this one out.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Describing them in one word.

The original Fire Convoy is "great."

The original RiD Magnus is "awkward."

The original Omega Prime is "Floppy" or possibly "Fragile" or if you'll excuse me breaking my own premise "a frustrating floppy mess that can't support its own weight very well and falls apart and over real real easy."

This looks to maintain that Fire Convoy description with a lot of little improvements. Upgrade the Magnus with better proportions and a very cool deluxe Targetmaster armorizer. And looks to transform Omega from something I dislike building to something awesome.

I really can't overstate how much better that Omega Prime looks and if it is as solid as they suggest that is a HUGE improvement.

-ZacWilliam, I hope this means we can get some more RiD characters in the regular line. I'd LOVE an XBrawn and Spychangers and the Pred Trio.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I'm more on the disappointed side. I have the original, so I'm very aware of his shortcomings. This one looks better, and sounds like they've really focused on fixing all the issues that aren't immediately visible. And I do like the new Blue Bolts. So, nice update, and I'm sure he'll be a great figure.

I just don't really want it.

For one, I was sold on the idea of a big celebration of Transformers as a whole. This one specific thing from around the middle just doesn't accomplish that at all. For another, I do already have the original. This looks to be better, but $250 better? I'm not sold.

And third, I feel like he's just too big. They said at the end of the video that he lives within Legacy. For Legacy figures, that's a really big Optimus. Even in normal mode, he's going to tower over all the other unarmored Optimii, even moreso than the original did. And if/when we get other RiD characters, like deluxe car brothers, he's going to look ridiculously huge in comparison.

That's actually a big point for me. I love how great everything's been looking as a cohesive collection the last few years. It's felt like we're long past the days of Blaster towering over Soundwave. Or Fort Max stepping on Scorponok. Or Omega Prime laughing at a tiny Gigatron... I've actually really looked forward to getting more RiD updates to go with Scourge and Ruination. Top of the list for me have been an Omega Prime and Gigatron who could go toe to toe. At this point, that's not happening without a HasLab Gigatron. Maybe they already have that planned for next year, but I'm not counting on it. And even then, that still feels like it would just be excessively large. OP and Gigatron were big in the show, but not this huge. These just don't feel like they would blend into the rest of any collection I could put them with.

Anyway, rant over. Looks good, and maybe I'll change my mind over the next few weeks. But as of now, I think he's the first TF HasLab I'll be skipping.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I am really torn. I have the original still, but he is definitely showing his age in both sturdiness and yellowing. To spend or not to spend is the question. Luckily I have time to think it over.

The Phazer

Citizen
I wonder if Bluebolts can still form his individual "shotgun" modes.

Lol that the sword is just as unable to support it's own weight as the original.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
What I wish is that Fire Convoy could have been released as a standalone, Commander-Class figure. At $90, I would take the plunge. I just don't care enough about RID Ultra Magnus, Omega Prime, or Bluebolts to drop $250 on the one figure in the set that appeals to me.

Blot

Citizen
Looking at the HasLab page closer, the Matrix Blade stretch goal isn't the Master Sword tooling that game with LG Fortress Maximus. It's an entirely new mold.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The whole set looks really impressive, especially the fact that Blue Bolts was turned into a full-blown Weaponizer like Cog, Sixgun, Slammer, and Fasttrack were. That's awesome. And the Matrix Blade being an all-new mold when they could have easily retooled TR Fortress Maximus's Master Sword with a new handle, but didn't, is even better.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Well, guess I'm dropping Tidal Wave. No way I can swing both and Titans tend to stick around for a while, so maybe he'll go on sale later.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
I love the idea of Blue Bolts, but man, these don't look like that much of an upgrade from the originals. Like, I had to look real close at those renders of Fire Convoy's truck and super robot modes to convince myself they weren't the 2001 versions. (The smaller 'bot mode definitely gives it away, though.) It just looks like a one-to-one copy of the original engineering, then throw in some ankle tilts for Magnus. I don't feel like this accomplishes much besides making these characters available again after 20+ years (and that's not nothing, for sure.)

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ultra Magnus' engineering is significantly different. Look at Omega Prime's torso. They completely changed the transformation to slim it down.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Also Aside from being bigger Omega Prime here looks Very Different.

-ZacWilliam, bigger and much better. Check out picks of the original and new together and it's a big difference.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
“We demand G1 with knees!”

“We did that already.”

“We demand non-G1 with knees!”

“RID already HAD knees…well, mostly…?”

“We demand knees with other knees! We don't demand just knees! What we demand is a total absence of the absence of knees! I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

“What is this argument about? Am I winning…?”

-and then they rip off his mask to show that I was right and Omega Prime was Snuggle Puggle the whole time...

Top Bottom