31 Days of Halloween (2022)

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Halloween

I've only seen Jamie Lee Curtis in her more non-horror movie (True Lies, My Girl, Activia commercials). So it'll be nice to see her in one of her earliest roles.

You know what I really like about these old movies? Even if you've never seen them before, you've probably still heard the theme music.

Holy crap! Jamie's...young! I mean, I knew this was one of her early movies, but wow!

So I'm beginning to get the feeling most horror movies before the 80's were (relatively) bloodless? Except for a bit of blood on the blade at the beginning and some blood on a windshield, the camera panned away from most of the killing, even in a first person shot from Micheal Myers which didn't make sense.

Over all, it was pretty decent. A lot of the kills were because of ssome stupidity on the victims part. Like, for crying out loud! Never mind locking, did no one ever even close their doors at night during the 70's?

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
At my house, we like "heckin' spoopy" Halloween instead of scary Halloween. As such, we've usually watch stuff like Beetlejuice, Ghostbuster, the 1986 classic The Worst Witch, etc.

Watched the first Addams Family movie over the weekend. First time my 14 year old has seen it, and first time the wife and I have seen it in probably 25+ years.

That said, if anyone has any recommendations for any Outside-the-Box Halloween movies that we may not have thought of, I'd happily take them.
Some random suggestions:
The Monster Squad?
The first Casper Movie I thought was good enough. Even has Halloween in it!
The Halloween Tree is a good animated movie.
The House with a clock in the walls was pretty decent

For a bit on the scarier side, but I wouldn't say it's flat out horror:
The Frighteners (Staring Micheal J Fox!)
The Faculty
Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters

The Hotel Translvania movie series isn't really Halloween, but I mean it DOES have classic monsters.

Then you can't go wrong with just about any Scooby Doo movie.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Some random suggestions:
The Monster Squad?
The first Casper Movie I thought was good enough. Even has Halloween in it!
The Halloween Tree is a good animated movie.
The House with a clock in the walls was pretty decent

For a bit on the scarier side, but I wouldn't say it's flat out horror:
The Frighteners (Staring Micheal J Fox!)
The Faculty
Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters

The Hotel Translvania movie series isn't really Halloween, but I mean it DOES have classic monsters.

Then you can't go wrong with just about any Scooby Doo movie.

Thanks! Monster Squad he saw for the first time last year, but it's definitely up for becoming a Halloween tradition. The Frighteners is a great one. He's probably ready for it now (it actually gets fairly intense at times). We've seen pretty much all the Hotel Transylvania and Scooby Doo movies, those are all great.

I've never seen the rest of those, so I'll definitely check them out!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm not bored enough. I'm going to watch Monster A Go-Go without commentary. I don't know why I even have this or when I got it but here I go.

Caldwin

Citizen
Horror Movie Drinking Game

I do not condone or encourage heavy drinking. This list is for humor purposes only. Please drink responsibly!

Take a drink if a victim has had sex.
Take another drink if both victims are killed soon after while the woman had to go pee.
Take a shot if both victims are still in bed.

Take a drink if someone on screen is drinking alcohol.
Take another drink if they're still speech-slurringly drunk when they're killed.

Take a shot if someone is killed but not by the main killer.

Take a shot if someone warns a person not to go to a place that's cursed.

Take a drink when someone runs upstairs instead of out the door (unforced).

Take a shot when someone goes up the stairs but actually has a good reason (the front door is blocked or something).

Take a shot if the victim is a total jerk and you're glad they're dead.

Take a drink if a kill was actually fairly light on the blood/gore.
Take a drink if it happens off screen.
Take a shot if the camera pans away from the killing moment.

Take a drink if someone goes to investigate something suspicious.
Take another drink if they call out to someone.

Take a drink if there's a "cat scare."
Take a shot instead if it was done by a literal cat.

Take a shot if a character lampshades one of the rules laid out by the Scream series. Don't use this rule if you're watching the Scream series if you value your liver.

Take a shot if the final survivor of a previous movie dies in this movie.

Take a drink if you think you've figured out who the final survivor is going to be within the first ten minutes of the film.
Take another drink if you're wrong.
If you're right, congratulations! Finish whatever glass you're on.

Take a shot if nothing super-natural happens until the last five minutes of the movie.

Take two shots if no one realizes something is going on until it comes down to the final survivor(s).

Finish what ever glass you're on and take a shot if this movie shows the Necronomicon at any point.

Caldwin

Citizen
Nightmare on Elm Street

Now, I actually have already seen this several times before. That being the case, I'm only going to go through the first movie...maybe the remake if I reeeeally feel like it. But having gone through Jason, Leather Face and Micheal Myers, it just felt like I had to include Freddy. Sorry, but I've seen the Scream franchise much too recently to go into Ghost Face.

I do like the glove creation bit at the beginning. The glove is every bit as much a character as Freddy himself. So seeing it's creation is a nice bit.

Okay, after watching this again, I think I finally understand what makes Nightmare on Elm Street my favorite. I think I said before that it's because Freddy actually talks and has a personality whereas the others are the big, imposing, silent types with no personality. And while that still holds true as one major reason why I like Freddy more, I just happened to have an epiphany while watching Nightmare tonight.

Now understand, each of these franchises suffer from too many sequels that lose sight of what makes the original so special, Nightmare on Elm Street definitely included. So I'm really talking about them at the top of their game.

Friday the 13th:
Pamela and Jason Voorhees very much go right for the kill. The suspense in the first one comes from who's next and where's it going to come from. But once he gets to the victim, it's over. The kill can be as inventive as an arrow through the bed and through the neck, to as mundane as a stab to the gut. But it's quick. It's brutal. It's over.

Halloween:
Okay, so I've only seen the first one. But again, the kills are quick and then they're over. I honestly didn't feel any suspense at all until it finally came down to Jamie Lee Curtis.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre:
Okay, this one came close to the suspense that I felt from Nightmare. But again, the suspense didn't come with any of the early kills. Again, over and done with too quickly...except the poor girl on the meat hooks...that was horrific. But the final survivor...brr! That whole dinner scene was effed up.

But Leather Face was brought down a peg by the fact that he wasn't alone. Sure he did the actual kills. But he also had a family with him who was just as unhinged as he was. He get's the notoriety because he was the one who got his hands dirty. But he had to share the spotlight with the family that was just as uncomfortable to watch as he was. But again...fast brutal kills that are over quickly.

Nightmare on Elm Street:
Now here is what makes Freddy special. It's not just a matter of him killing someone. He doesn't just chase after someone because they run away. He makes them run away. Fear is an even more central part to his operation than merely killing. That makes him a perfect horror movie monster.

Jason, Leather Face, Micheal Myers...is the person going to get away or are they dead? Well, unless you're the final girl, you're dead.

Freddy...is the person going to get away or are they dead? You honestly don't know. He'll let some people go once or twice just to build the terror. He won't kill someone immediately because he wants to build their fear of him. He's the cat playing with a mouse. To me, that's much more terrifying than knowing that a person in going to die imminently and it just being a matter of how. A kill that's quick and brutal is over too quickly. But let the person go for a bit, toy with them, give them hope...that's horror!

So to me, this is why Freddy will always be the best 70's/80's horror movie monster.

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, FYI, I’m posting this on the 31 Days of Halloween thread because this all started with my marathoning of the Friday the 13th series. But I may just copy/paste this whole thing into a whole new topic because I think this conversation could potentially go places other than horror flicks.

So, I just finished watching the remakes/reboots of Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween. Honestly, it got me thinking.

My little essay on the good and bad of Remakes

It Already Exists. A Remake Is Pointless!

These are words I've said myself many times. But now I may have to rethink it.

Those who were around the 31 Days of Halloween topic last year probably remember I went through the Universal Classic Monsters collection last year as well as silent film versions of Nosferatu, Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Notre Dame (not really a horror movie, but that's beside the point). I did make separate posts for each movie, but let me condense my overall judgement of each of them right here. As a cinephile I enjoyed these movies. They were black and white. The special effects were crude at best. The ideas of what was scary back then and what made me laugh my ass off today share remarkable similarities. But I enjoyed them for what they where. I enjoyed them as a time capsule of what cinema was like back in ye olden days.

But for them to be horror movies, was I sufficiently scared and on the edge of my seat? As indicated before, no, I was laughing my ass off.

Oh but that was the cinema of the 30's and 40's. What could a remake possibly add to what I watched when I was a kid/teen? What could it possibly add to A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween.

Look, I'm a child of the 80's and teen of the 90's. But I have to admit, as much as I love the old movies I grew up with...we need to take off some of the nostalgia glasses.

When I was a kid, of course I was aware of the existence of Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street. But I was never allowed to watch it. I was a kid. My parents (rightfully) didn't want me watching such things. I was out of college and living on my own (in the early 2000's) by the time I finally saw these films. Heck, Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre I hadn't seen until this year (2023). Want to know what I thought?

As a cinephile I enjoyed these movies. They were grainy SD. I could see the cuts from actual actors to viscera filled props getting mutilated and were very noticeable at best. The idea's of what was scary back then have been totally lampooned by the Scream series and I could tell who was going to die right away by who was having sex (almost every one). It was totally laughable at best, boring at worst. But I enjoyed them for what they were. I enjoyed them as a time capsule of what cinema was like back in ye olden days. It's just that now I have to admit that ye olden days are now my childhood!

So, are remakes pointless since the original already exists? Well here's the thing. Those of us who grew up with it may see the horror with our nostalgia goggles. Young cinephiles who never grew up with them could look at them like we look back on the old Universal Classic Monsters. But are they going to be scared by the horror movies that used to scare us? I doubt it.

So, if we want to keep these franchises going, one of two things are going to need to happen: sequels or remakes/reboots.

There's a problem with sequels though. Jamie Lee Curtis isn't as young as she was when she first played Laurie in Halloween. As iconic as Robert Englund made Freddy, he's not getting any younger. either. And if you followed my marathon of Friday the 13th, as well as my thoughts on Nightmare on Elm Street...quality kept going down the more sequels there were.

Now that's not to say there aren't problems with remakes/reboots either. Personally, I enjoyed the remakes of Friday the 13th and Halloween. But I'm in a minority on that. And when it comes to Nightmare on Elm Street, I personally think it had its good points and bad points.

There's a fine line that producers/writers/directors walk when remaking a classic that has a lot of fans. If you make it too different, it shouldn't even be called the same thing. How dare they take the name and plaster it on this dreck that has nothing to do with what the original was. They completely missed the point! But if you make it too similar, it didn't need to be made. It's exactly like the original. There's absolutely no originality with this.

I've been just as guilty of saying the above as anyone. But here's the thing. Here's the main point I want to make in defense of remakes.

Sooner rather than later, the horror shows we watched when we were younger are going to be just as outdated as the old black and white movies from the 30's and 40's...if they aren't already. Even their remakes are going to suffer the same fate. Even the movies of today will eventually be seen as outdated and laughable. Count on it.

If we truly love these franchises, then I think the general disgust with remakes needs to be looked at. Dracula is still going strong. But it's not the Bela Lugosi Dracula that scares people today. Bram Stoker got the ball rolling with the novel. Bela Lugosi kept the fire burning in 1931. There's been plenty of movies since then that have kept it going since then: 1958 Hammer Film, Francis Ford Coppola 1992, I absolutely want to see this 2023 Last Voyage of the Demeter when I get paid next. But if all there was was the Bela Lugosi film...great as it may be as a time capsule, Dracula probably would have fizzled into obscurity a while ago.

Some remakes may be better than others. I never saw Hammer Dracula (James Rolfe seems to swear by it). I actually liked Coppoloa's version faults and all (and yes, I'm not blind to its many faults. But each one keeps the franchise in the minds of people, bad or good. I'd rather see a meh Nightmare on Elm Street come out in 2010...but who knows what may come out in the next decade or so? Could be that the next person who decides to make an Elm Street movie will make us shit our pants!

Well, I've already written quite a wall of text. So I'm off to copy/paste this into a new topic. Discuss!

Caldwin

Citizen
So, TMM did a stream of Nightmare on Elm Street last night. Afraid I won't be able to make tonight's stream. But it was fun watching a movie as part of a group that I would normally watch alone.

I wasn't able to connect voices with names, but I'll just say I felt old when someone had to explain to someone else why a phone had to be taken off the hook instead of taking the cord out in order to stop someone from calling.

Also, it's been a while since I've heard anyone say it, but I guess I hadn't realized just how out of use the term 'cold cock' was. And even though the term is completely innocent, I'm curious if the censors are going to nab part of that.

Caldwin

Citizen
Happy Halloween everyone!

I was going to watch Last Voyage of the Demeter tonight but it might be better if I'm not watching an R rated movie when little kids come to get candy.

Caldwin

Citizen
I had a good number of visitors. Still have a bit of candy left over. The Freddy glove got in the way of keeping a hold of the candy bowl. So I eventually took it off.

All in all it was a decent night.

Caldwin

Citizen
The Last Voyage of the Demeter

So it's been a couple years since I read Dracula. My memories are kinda hazy at best. But I seem to remember the Demeter was only one chapter. And while there was more in the book than what's ever been shown on screen, I don't remember there being enough to warrant an entire movie. It was a single chapter after all. Still, I've been eager to see this. So I'll reserve further comments until after the movie.

----

Okay, I tried to watch this a few nights ago so it wouldn't be too far into November before I made this post. I fell asleep. I thought it was just because I was exhausted from work that day (and I was). But now I'm thinking that even if I wasn't tired that day, this movie is still such a snooze fest that it wasn't doing itself any favors. I was fully awake today and I just barely managed to make it through.

Aside from being boring, it takes a lot of liberties, not just from the narrative. Like I said before, the Demeter was only one chapter of the original novel. So of course they had to invent the narrative. But they also took liberties with what would and wouldn't kill a vampire, what would and wouldn't spread vampirism. They took modern vampire tropes that was not in the novel and used them here while ignoring other vampire tropes that very much were in the novel.

This is never minding the fact that a good majority of the victims were assholes. Being the Demeter, of course you expect there to be no survivors. That alone makes it an uphill battle to make us care about the characters we know are going to die. We sure aren't going to care for these jackasses!

But of course there was one survivor...someone who swears to carry on the fight against Dracula. Except that he isn't in the novel anywhere...soooooo...

That last bit put in spoiler tags as common courtesy. Now let me leave you with another courtesy. Don't bother with this film. It's not that it's offensive or anything. I almost wish it was. As it is, it was just a snooze fest.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Yeah, we streamed the Nightmare movies since I had the week off. The concept haunted me as a kid, I was afraid of sleeping and got nightmares. As an old fart, they are hilarious. Any dreams I remembered were mundane. I also miss practical effects.

Halloween was fun. Ever since getting a house, we've started a tradition of sitting on the driveway. We set up a small fire pit (with fire extinguisher on standby just in case), sit in camping chairs, and chill by the fire, roasting hot dogs and s'mores while we wait for kids. We usually carve pumpkins right before, but this year we were too exausted from other stuff to bother.

We had a small folding table with a skeleton dragon on it, and chocolate or fruit candy on either side. Small size, so we let the kids grab several pieces. Last year they started making the Pokemon Boo-ster packs, which a lot of kids get really excited over. We had plenty to go around this time.

We got way too much candy, had a bunch left over at the end of the night. I spotted a group of kids down the block, chased them down, and gave them the rest. They were really happy, lol (we still had some candy set aside for ourselves).

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
Yeah, we streamed the Nightmare movies since I had the week off. The concept haunted me as a kid, I was afraid of sleeping and got nightmares. As an old fart, they are hilarious. Any dreams I remembered were mundane. I also miss practical effects.

Halloween was fun. Ever since getting a house, we've started a tradition of sitting on the driveway. We set up a small fire pit (with fire extinguisher on standby just in case), sit in camping chairs, and chill by the fire, roasting hot dogs and s'mores while we wait for kids. We usually carve pumpkins right before, but this year we were too exausted from other stuff to bother.

We had a small folding table with a skeleton dragon on it, and chocolate or fruit candy on either side. Small size, so we let the kids grab several pieces. Last year they started making the Pokemon Boo-ster packs, which a lot of kids get really excited over. We had plenty to go around this time.

We got way too much candy, had a bunch left over at the end of the night. I spotted a group of kids down the block, chased them down, and gave them the rest. They were really happy, lol (we still had some candy set aside for ourselves).

I saw those Pokemon packs and thought they were a wonderful idea. I would have been so jazzed for those as a kid.

Top Bottom