31 Days of Halloween (2022)

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Well, considering I'm only seeing them myself for the first time (except the first two which I still saw only within the past few years), I can't really say anything.

Caldwin

Citizen
Well,next movie on the list, Friday the 13th Part 2.

I watched this once before but remember absolutely nothing about it aside from Alice getting killed in the very first scene. Now, Friday the 13th isn't the only movie to kill off the survivor of the first movie. Even Nancy dies in Nightmare on Elmstreet 3. Ripley dies in Alien 3. Still, to die in the first scene of the first sequel, 12 minutes in no less, felt kinda cruel.

The acting was better, less stiff. But I'm afraid, like many slasher 80's movies, it suffers a lot from being a pre-Scream horror movie being watched by a post-Scream audience. Scream made so many movies unwatchable whith its rules for surviving a scary movie. No longer is a movie about getting connected with the characters that may or may not die. Instead now it, well, they just had sex. They're going to die.

But that's more a problem with watching any horror/slasher flick post-Scream than it is with the movie itself. At the very least, we finally see Jason as the killer. Next movie...hockey mask!

Caldwin

Citizen
Friday the 13th Part 3 3D

I'm doing two movies today because I doubt I'll be able to get around to doing one tomorrow.

Interesting, the menu has a 3D option. But the DVD doesn't come with those red and blue glasses and even if I did have a 3D television, I thought only special blurays were able to do that, not your bargain collection DVDs. Anyone have thoughts on this? Meanwhile I'll just watch the 2D version.

Ugh! I don't know what's worse, watching an old 80's 3D movie, or watching an old 80's 3D movie in 2D. So many parts felt like they were written specifically to show off the 3D with little to no consideration for the plot. In fact several times suspense was killed because of a blatant "this was for the 3D" bits.

Also, I'm not quite sure what Jason's motive was here. In the first two films, Jason and his mother just couldn't get over what happened at Camp Crystal Lake and so they killed anyone who was a counselor. But these people weren't counselors and the setting...I could maybe convince myself it was Crystal Lake, but it did really say as much in the movie and as rustic as the cabin may have been, it didn't really sell me as a camp cabin. It just felt like Jason was killing for killings sake this time around. *yawn*

So, yeah, this really felt like they lost the plot and the writers cared more about just writing to the 3D effects than creating any actual suspense.

At least we finally get to see the iconic hockey mask.

Noip

I'll think of something later.
Citizen
He's very territorial. Just being in the vicinity of Crystal Lake for too long puts you on his radar; having premarital sex just kinda bumps you to the head of the line.

Caldwin

Citizen
Friday the 13th The Final Chapter

Wait, I'm only 4 movies in on this 8 movie collection. How is this the final chapter? Are the rest of these DVD's blank? What the heck?

Well, well, well! There's a young Corey Feldman. That's something. And after the last films knack for writing to the 3D effects instead of being a decent movie, it was nice to have...not that.

But to be honest, it's getting to be a bit like "oh, yay! Another group of over-sexed young adults getting killed in horrible ways."

Like, Freddy Kruger had nothing if not personality. Even when Nightmare on Elm Street movies started to lean towards comedy instead of horror, Freddy still had personality.

The first two Friday movies were good because the first one was a mother revenge crazed over her son. The second was Jason revenge crazed over his mother and protecting his territory (Crystal Lake).

But honestly with the past two movies it's just Jason killing people because they're there to be killed. Most of the time, the kills aren't even that imaginative.

I mean, of course I'll continue with this series. I've already spent the money to get the DVD's. But to be totally honest, the last two movies haven't been as engaging as the first two.

Caldwin

Citizen
Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning

You mean the last movie wasn't the final chapter? I can't believe anything these people say anymore.

At least they brought Corey Feldman's character back even if he isn't played by Corey. That should raise the stakes some.

Huh! So this time it wasn't Jason. Interesting. That makes twice. And the ending shot with Tommy in the mask. Well, I'm not sure what to make of that. So I think I'll just call it a night and continue with the next movie later.

But I really have to say, the Friday the 13th series, while it seems to be keeping with the slasher horror unlike Nightmare on El Street which seemed to gradually shift to dark comedy, it does seem to lack the focus Nightmare has. I still have plenty of movies to go in this marathon. But so far Friday's not rating high with me. So far it's: Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street and then Friday the 13th as a distant third. Maybe at some point I should try Texas Chainsaw or Halloween.

Caldwin

Citizen
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

Well, we finally seem to have our returning hero. I think this is one of the better ones so far. But honestly, I'm finding myself with less and less to say as these films go on.

Caldwin

Citizen
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

Well, I'm at the opening credits and...wait...wait one darn minute! Wha...? Arcee's in this movie? Holy crap! Arcee's in this movie!

Jason keeps looking worse and worse...and he wasn't too pretty to begin with. Tina's probably my favorite protagonist so far.

I think I finally figured out what the sequels are missing though. It's the suspense. Like, sure it's still horror. But there's very little suspense. You can tell very early on who's going to live and who's going to die even with the first watch. And a good number of the people are assholes who you're usually cheering to get killed. And when you get to the final show down, it's not someone in a desperate fight with barely a string of hope to win. The last few movies have had the final person on somewhat equal footing with Jason. It can make for some good action and really visceral kills...but not much in the way of suspense.

So when it comes to clean HD picture, good special effects, decent acting and smooth cuts, the later movies are definitely better in those regards. But when it comes to suspenseful pacing and keeping me on the edge of my seat, the first one is still the best.

Caldwin

Citizen
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

I have not heard good things about this one. Can't wait to see for myself.

Well, aside from the question of how a boat got from a summer camp lake into the Atlantic, can I just note that the vast majority of a movie called "Jason Takes MANHATTAN" takes place on a boat?

Also, when it comes to asshole victims, douchey mcdouche face teacher couldn't die horribly enough.

Speaking of, while there was absolutely gore and nudity, it was significantly toned down from previous movies. Take that as you will.

I'm not sure which is worse, Part 3 or this one. I have no inclination to see either one again.

Well, that's it for the Paramount movies. Next we start the New Line movies with Jason Goes to Hell.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I hope you're having as much fun watching these as I am reading the journey. So far I feel like I haven't missed much by skipping this series.

Caldwin

Citizen
The first one was actually pretty good. You don't get Jason in his iconic hockey mask, but it's a really solid (if low budget) horror film. It's just that as the series progressed, it kinda lost focus. TBH, the Nightmare on Elmstreet series is pretty much the same way, watch the first episode but know that it kinda goes downhill from there.

Caldwin

Citizen
Jason Goes to Hell - The Final Friday

Huh! Doesn't even have "Friday the 13th" in the title. Should I be worried?

Wel...okay! This is the first movie from New Line. Unlike all the Paramount sequels, there's no recap of previous events. Understandable since, while they had franchise rights, they probably didn't have footage rights. Stilll, no mention at all about Manhattan or how Jason's still around. It's pretty much impossible to say what movie this comes after. So I'm assuming soft reboot.

I really hating how they're interspersing the opening credits with action. I'm all for opening credits. But once they're done, leave them alone. Stop going back and forth between credits and action. It doesn't build drama or suspense. It's just irritating!

Well, if the last movie toned down the sex and gore, this one turned it right back up to 11. They also introduced some characters worth giving a damn about and upped the suspense.

Unfortunately, they also introduced a body-surfing mechanic to Jason as well as a BS "only a Voorhees can kill Jason" plot point that just crapped on the mythos. Honestly, except for maybe the first 5-10 minutes, this didn't even feel like a Friday movie.

I have yet to see Jason X. But if it's also as bad as I've heard, I'm going to have to recommend skipping the New Line movies all together.

But Jason X will have to wait for just a bit. From what I've heard, and judging from the last shot of this movie, Freddy Vs. Jason is the next chronological movie. I've seen it before a couple times as a part of my Nightmare on Elm Street watchings. But it only feels right to include it in this marathon as well.

But as far as Jason Goes to Hell is concerned, an easy skip. There's no need to watch it again.

Caldwin

Citizen
Freddy Vs. Jason

As I said before, I've already seen this a couple times before as a Nightmare on Elm Street fan. But it has been a while and this will be the first time seeing it having also seen the lead-in Friday the 13th movies. Still, so far of what I've seen, I still like the Nightmare movies quite a bit more. Freddy just has more charisma. So I'll probably still be watching this from that point of view.

At least Jason looks like Jason this time, which is kinda ironic considering there's a new actor behind the mask.

Here's one thing. This movie makes a major point of Jason being afraid of water. Only none of the Friday movies suggest that. Yes, he drowned as a kid and that's a major part of his backstory. But more than once he's shown that he absolutely isn't afraid of water and will in fact use it to his advantage. So...yeah.

But honestly, this film gets a bad rap. And to be totally honest, it isn't the best showing for either franchise. But it's very far from being the worst of either at the same time. It's still a pretty entertaining flick if you like either one of these guys. I'd absolutely give it a pass.

Next up, Jason X.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Fear is in the eye of the beholder.

53242106858_1726825020_o.jpg

Tonight's Svengoolie Movie is Killer Klownz from Outer Space.

53240935032_9f50a2456b_o.jpg

Caldwin

Citizen
Jason X

So we go from campers in the woods to cryogenic freezing and space travel. I'm seriously debating saving myself an hour and a half.

Oh hell! This is worse than I thought. I was thinking they'd be on an advanced shuttle or upsized international space station. This has gone total sci-fi. Did these people even watch the original movies?

So this one is the one that has the liquid nitrogen kill. I guess that's something. It was busted on Myth Busters, but I don't exactly go into these movies for realism.

Final grade, I want the last hour and a half of my life back. I feel dumber now for having watched that. I was expecting a crap movie with no redeeming qualities. Some how it limboed right the hell under my expectations.

The Paramount movies started out good enough with 1 and 2. It got worse from there. But the New Line movies "Jason Goes to Hell" and "Jason X" really need to be wiped from existence.

Well, one more movie left, the 2009 remake. Dare I even hope for mediocrity? Well find out next post.

Caldwin

Citizen
Friday the 13th - 2009

Now, before I start, let me just say that I'm going to be watching the Killer Cut. This is supposed to be a remake, but Jason is on the cover with the hockey mask. So I guess I'll see what that means for Jason's mother.

I haven't heard good things about this. But if it can just be better than "Jason Goes to Hell" and "Jason X," I'll be at least a little happy.

Oh no! Produced by Micheal Bay. There's some fine print for you! Ugh!

Well, they actually start out with Jason's mother in a flashback. Hmm, okay, I'll try to give it a chance.

----

Wow! Like, you know how you play the original Mortal Kombat and you see digitized graphics of people ripping out other peoples spines and you think there's no possible way games could get more violent but then you play MK9-11? Or you get yourself your first Playboy and think it can't get any hotter until you find a Penthouse?
So I've been told.
Because I wouldn't know personally...
<_<

So believe me when I tell you the gore, sex and nudity it really turned up to 11. And while the kills in the earlier movies were certainly graphic, they were typically fast. Here they're slow and torturous. Just..want to let you know what you're in for if you decide to watch this one. Now like I said, the version I saw was the killer cut. Don't know about the theatrical version. But as far as the killer cut goes...damn!

I actually liked this as a horror movie. It brought back a suspense and fear that just hasn't been there since the first couple movies. On the bad side, it does have the irritating knack that movies have had since the turn of the century of having a lot of shaky cam. I absolutely hate shaky cam. But this absolutely takes Friday the 13th back to its roots.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Interesting. Whether it was good or bad, it sounds like they at least had good intentions with the 2009 one.

Caldwin

Citizen
I thought it was pretty good, even considering the shaky cam bits. I mostly just think it's fair warning to note that for as much sex and gore the franchise usually had up to this point, this one amazingly found a way to up the game.

At the very least, they took it back to its roots. Where as the other movies really lost the plot at they went on, this one actually seemed to give a damn about what the original two movies were all about.

Top Bottom