31 Days of Halloween (2022)

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 1974

If you look on IMDB, it looks like this has had several remakes. As far as I can tell, 1974 is the original. I've never seen any of them before, so this should be interesting.

----

Well that was very much not what I expected. When it comes to slasher films, that was actually (relatively) bloodless. Also, as iconic as Leatherface is, he was actually just one part of a rather creepy family. Yes, he was the one that did all the killing. But his brother and father still managed to be just as creepy.

Honestly though, the movie was more creepy than scary, and I think that probably has more to do with how bat-shit crazy some of the shots are than with what's actually going on.

Final grade, if you like classic, iconic cinema, then by all means check this out. I love watching old movies just for the art of it. But this kinda is a product of its time and won't exactly be giving me nightmares tonight.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It reminds me of how relatively little blood there was in the original Halloween. I'm really not a fan of the genre, but the way it's evolved is fascinating.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Early slashers were more about suspense. Later slashers leaned more into blood and gore. Or violent comedy (which often overlaps with blood and gore), like later Nightmare on Elm Street or the Leprechaun movies.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Adding comedy was a good idea. Suspense can be overdone. Eventually the threat becomes too telegraphed. You become too ready for it to happen any second now. Well done comedy can lower your guard, so the violence can catch you off guard.

It's actually the same reason they do false alarm jump scares. I'd rather have the comedy.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
You know what's REALLY scary? Retail planograms for holiday decorations. As far as I can tell, October is here, so I'd better put away my Christmas ornaments and get out the clovers or something...

53055636361_17d6d49464_o.jpg

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, having just finished a Friday the 13th marathon and watching TCM, I'm kinda slasher flicked out. Still plenty of days left in October though. So what're y'all doin'?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well, having just finished a Friday the 13th marathon and watching TCM, I'm kinda slasher flicked out. Still plenty of days left in October though. So what're y'all doin'?

At my house, we like "heckin' spoopy" Halloween instead of scary Halloween. As such, we've usually watch stuff like Beetlejuice, Ghostbuster, the 1986 classic The Worst Witch, etc.

Watched the first Addams Family movie over the weekend. First time my 14 year old has seen it, and first time the wife and I have seen it in probably 25+ years.

That said, if anyone has any recommendations for any Outside-the-Box Halloween movies that we may not have thought of, I'd happily take them.

electricidad

Citizen
Saw Evil Dead Rise last night. Holy crap, it’s bloody. An elevator car full of blood bloody.

It’s Evil Dead, but it’s a struggling family in a condemned apartment building. I liked it more than I thought I would! There were a few gasp out loud moments that got me, but it’s missing a bit of the Campbell/Raimi humor and edge in the first ones. This movie utterly nails how the Deadites just mess with you, and it does pay homage to the first films.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
At my house, we like "heckin' spoopy" Halloween instead of scary Halloween. As such, we've usually watch stuff like Beetlejuice, Ghostbuster, the 1986 classic The Worst Witch, etc.

Watched the first Addams Family movie over the weekend. First time my 14 year old has seen it, and first time the wife and I have seen it in probably 25+ years.

That said, if anyone has any recommendations for any Outside-the-Box Halloween movies that we may not have thought of, I'd happily take them.
Coraline, Paranorman, Nightmare Before Christmas if you haven't seen it already.
Kubo is not specifically Halloween, but has some real creepy moments.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Coraline, Paranorman, Nightmare Before Christmas if you haven't seen it already.
Kubo is not specifically Halloween, but has some real creepy moments.
We did Paranorman last year and enjoyed it. Nightmare Before Christmas I think we've watched for a couple of years now, but Coraline and Corpse Bride would be good ones for sure!

Caldwin

Citizen
IMG_2735.jpeg

$50 for the glove. Hopefully I can get a sweater, hat and mask without breaking the bank and I'll be set for Halloween. Alternatively, I could just get the sweater and hat and then just burn my face really badly. Not sure I like the alternative.

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, after paying bills today, I have decided not to attempt getting the rest of the costume. I may try to do it next year. But for now, I'm just happy to finally have the glove as a collectible in my horror collection.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
You could just dream that you did, and claim it's more authentic.

Meanwhile, according to Sam's Club, it's that time of year. Whatever that is...I guess if I can't tell the difference between horror and Christmas I might as well just mix them.

50630413702_306674d2be_o.jpg

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Well, after paying bills today, I have decided not to attempt getting the rest of the costume. I may try to do it next year. But for now, I'm just happy to finally have the glove as a collectible in my horror collection.
I've found great cheap finds at thrift/second hand stores that worked great as costumes/cosplay with some alterations. If you're crafty, you could also get a plain white sweater and paint/dye it yourself. I once made a Carmen Sandiego hat out of cardboard with cheap fabric glued to it.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
I'm not a fan of most horror movies, so I can't give reviews of those in this thread. Instead I can only link to something I hope triggers the nostalgia in at least a couple of you:

These apparently got a VHS release on one tape, but good luck finding a copy. Really wish there was anything I could do to get this sorta stuff released on DVD.

Top Bottom