Transformers Legacy toyline

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My Armada Optimus is the Powerlynx colors, so I'm actually more interested in the normal color scheme on this release.

As for the word thing, I recall "slag" being used in Batman Beyond.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
Because, for a time, the Japanese term "Convoy" was not known in the West and it's been thought of as the Japanese analogue for "Prime" (more or less). Also, just after (Galaxy Force?), there were some recolours of Leobreaker in Lio Convoy's colours and named "Leo Prime" in America (as American shop exclusives).
Have there not been any toys that came out in the west called "Lio Convoy"?

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have to figure out how to fit Armada Prime into my Gizmo-verse. He's so damn cool, but with already having Earthrise as my Optimus. I think I shall name him Armada Magnus. :geek:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The person to ask about the whole "Leo Prime/Lio Convoy" name trademark thing is whoever wrote this on our Twtter feed during one of the Hasbro roundtable discussions:

This is also supported by Seibertron's report of the same event:
The term Convoy is a trademarked name in Japan, so that name cannot be used on packaging by Hasbro.

Also by Monzo on the TFWiki Discord:
The Convoy thing was ... they seemed to say somebody else in Japan had the trademark for the word Convoy now, so Takara's asked them to use Leo Prime because the Hasbro packaging in English is sold in Japan

Last edited:

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
But seriously, I just pre-ordered those to complete my set! Ebay prices would have cost me at least $40 more for them.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Since the club isn't really concerned with maintaining copyrights or anything, I don't think it matters to anyone too much what they call their figures.
The Club had to adhere to the same Trademark (not copyright) laws as Hasbro.

How they were able to have a figure called "Lio Convoy"?
Because that was eight years ago. Things are different now.

The trademark issue with the name "Convoy" is that it is currently owned by some other company in Japan, so Hasbro has to use a name that would allow TakaraTomy to sell the toy in Japan without infringing on that other company's trademark, since the Hasbro Legacy packaging is sold in Japan with the toys' names written in English. Thus, they went with the name "Leo Prime" instead.

There hasn't been a Transformers toy sold in Japan by Takara with the word "Convoy" in its name since MP-49 Black Convoy back in mid-2020, which was almost three years ago.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
The Club had to adhere to the same Trademark (not copyright) laws as Hasbro.

Because that was eight years ago. Things are different now.

The trademark issue with the name "Convoy" is that it is currently owned by some other company in Japan, so Hasbro has to use a name that would allow TakaraTomy to sell the toy in Japan without infringing on that other company's trademark, since the Hasbro Legacy packaging is sold in Japan with the toys' names written in English. Thus, they went with the name "Leo Prime" instead.

There hasn't been a Transformers toy sold in Japan by Takara with the word "Convoy" in its name since MP-49 Black Convoy back in mid-2020, which was almost three years ago.
So why did Hasbro not use the name"Lio Convoy" for the other Leo Prime toys before the trademark issue?

Top Bottom