Transformers Legacy toyline

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Look! It’s Mister McGrumpypants himself!

Entertainment Earth has a notification for a Transformers drop on Tuesday (they all but state it’s Tidal Wave), but with Silverbolt known and Gears leaked, we might see more of wave 2 United this week.
But is he...

giphy-350896440.gif

Shadewing

Citizen
Well, this is great. I was just thinking today that we still need a Gears, as his last toy was back in Thrilling 30, and not that great of one for him. This is exactly what I want from a Gears toy.

The Phazer

Citizen
Given we probably won't get another one for twenty years I'm so sad about what a mess that toy is. Ugly painted windows and pram wheels 30% too big for the chassis.

The current design team has obviously just given up on alt modes.

Shadhausen

Citizen
Yeah, that's pretty awful. Proportions are terrible in both modes. I'm trying to figure out what they used for reference because he barely resembles the toy or animation models.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Given we probably won't get another one for twenty years I'm so sad about what a mess that toy is. Ugly painted windows and pram wheels 30% too big for the chassis.

I'm not so sure, we've gotten quite a few versions of Hotrod(imus), Arcee, etc in quick succession, so maybe Gears will get another version in a few years too?

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I feel the same way about this Gears that I did when Brawn was announced. His face and upper body are fine, but the lower part...egads. I don't know what's going on with those skinny, doofy-looking wheels in vehicle mode, either, but they're an eyesore. I feel like this team is capable of much better.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Top Gears.jpg

EDIT:

- Apparently, a like-minded photoshopper also found that Legacy Gears features an (sadly unpainted) opening chest, as featured in the G1 episode where he gets his old grumpy personality back via a (disk/cassette?).

Image of Transformers Gears Through The Years from G1 Minibot to Legacy United Deluxe__scaled_...jpg

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen

Eh, we’ll probably get another round of 84-86 in about 10-15 years when costs force the average deluxe down to the size of a core. Or when the need to match Sunbow character models gets exhausted (which is probably a factor in the alt mode complaint, the team is prioritizing the robot mode over the vehicle mode).

That said, while I get what you’re saying about the windows, I’d much rather have painted windows than Hasbro use clear plastic. Because with the part/sprue counts down to where they are, I’d take the unsightly painted windows over a bunch of clear parts prone to breakage in a couple years.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
In addition to what Dekafox said about the pose making this figure look unflattering, I think what's so off-putting about how this figure looks is how it tried to have its cake and eat it too. Meaning, they tried to make his robot mode resemble the cartoon model, but also tried to make the truck mode look realistic and not at all "cute and chibi" like how it was for the original toy. The more realistic proportions of the truck have created a more stretched look that adds more mass to it, more mass that had to go somewhere in the originally stout robot mode design, whose legs have now become longer and lankier thanks to the more realistic truck bed being longer itself.

Shadewing

Citizen
Honestly, I think the pose makes the legs look worse than they are, if you compare them to the animation model. That also seems to me to be the reason for the tires.

Yeah, this is about as close as you can get to the Sunbow model. For me, I'm really not that picky. Gears has had ONE other toy since the original, not counting the Movieverse toy, And the T30 one is a nowadays lazy "was okay" at the time one, but it was just a brawn-ish head on Swerve's body in Blue and Red. All the other Minibots get mulitple toys or reimaginings, like Universe Hulking Powerglide, or the Gold Box "Can be at least three different continuities" Seaspray. Swerve himself gets more love then Gears does, despite being a remold of Gears.

Gears is one of the few Early G1 Autobots that is constantly forgotten about, Hell SKIDS gets more love and attention and he's pretty much "Sir Not Appearing in this Cartoon". Even when it might have been easy to do; Like with how the POTP Brawn toy transformed and looked, thet could have made Gears out of him with little issue; New chest and head like Outback got, leave off the Sheild/gun thing and he'd not be a terrible Gears but still never happened.

Top Bottom