Why was there a lack of fanfare for the 20th anniversary of a Beast Wars and could have this have caused Primal to win the prime fan vote?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Would have the Beast wars Dreamewave series called Shell Game have been a prequel to Beast machines or would it have been a alternate path after season 3 and would it have been in canon with Dreamewave G1?
It would have basically been like "The Gathering" but instead set after the final episode and with the show cast coming back to Earth and interacting with the non-show characters. Simon Furman put up the script for the unproduced first issue of Shell Game and it continued right after the events of "Ain't No Rat". So it would have acted as a sort of "Season 4" to the cartoon, and likely would have led back up to the beginning of Beast Machines had it been allowed to continue.

When it was canceled, Furman basically reworked the story and recycled it for IDW as The Gathering, only now set before the final episode and with the show cast not playing any major roles in the story, instead giving all the focus to the non-show characters.

Last edited:

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
It would have basically been like "The Gathering" but instead set after the final episode and with the show cast coming back to Earth to interacting with the non-show characters. Simon Furman put up the script for the unproduced first issue of Shell Game and it continued right after the events of "Ain't No Rat". So it would have acted as a sort of "Season 4" to the cartoon, and likely would have led back up to the beginning of Beast Machines had it been allowed to continue.

When it was canceled, Furman basically reworked the story and recycled it for IDW as The Gathering, only now set before the final episode and with the show cast not playing any major roles in the story, instead giving all the focus to the non-show characters.
Would it have been in canon with Dreamewave G1?

Lobjob

Citizen
On Lio Prime, I wish we would have went with Primal, as in Lio Primal, if only for some beast synergy.

Optimus Pride is pretty great though.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
It would have basically been like "The Gathering" but instead set after the final episode and with the show cast coming back to Earth to interacting with the non-show characters. Simon Furman put up the script for the unproduced first issue of Shell Game and it continued right after the events of "Ain't No Rat". So it would have acted as a sort of "Season 4" to the cartoon, and likely would have led back up to the beginning of Beast Machines had it been allowed to continue.

If it was going to tie in to the world of Dreamewave G1 then would lit lead into Beast Machines when a lot people did not like it? Would they really make it a part of their canon?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"The Ascending" did lead into Beast Machines.

You should read it. It might satisfy your desire for more Furman books for a long time.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
"The Ascending" did lead into Beast Machines.

You should read it. It might satisfy your desire for more Furman books for a long time.
What if Dreamwave wanted it not to lead into Beast Machines as it would tie in to their G1 and when Simon did Beast wars at IDW he did not have to do what Dreamwave wanted ?

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
What if Beast Machines is actually pretty decent, if you take it on its own?

On a more serious note, on thinking about it doesn't the Prime -> RID15 handoff really seem like the same level of difference as the BW -> BM one? There's about the same amount of stuff that doesn't line up that well in both transitions, unless you squint; just in different things.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
There's really two(.five) problems with Beast Machines

1. It was a sequel to a series the creators were specifically told to not even watch, so everyone's characters radically changes from how they were, often in bizarre or unsatisfying ways.
2. It was also a sequel to G1 but incorporates that stuff kinda haphzardly, and then decides the way to end this continuity reaching back 15 years is by turning Cybertron into a technoorganic paradise which isn't going to sit well with some people.
2.5 Had Transtech have happened, it might have helped Beast Machine's longterm popularity, as it would no longer be the "end" of G1.

If you can get past 1 and realize that 2/2.5 don't really matter in the long run given how much NeoG1 stuff is available now, it's actually a decent series and I'd would honestly rate it as one of the good ones. Not super high on that list, but it's definitely a series I don't mind rewatching. I actually think the animation holds up pretty well while Beast Wars' visuals are an.. uh.. acquired taste at this point.

Soundwave2.0

Citizen
There's really two(.five) problems with Beast Machines

1. It was a sequel to a series the creators were specifically told to not even watch, so everyone's characters radically changes from how they were, often in bizarre or unsatisfying ways.
2. It was also a sequel to G1 but incorporates that stuff kinda haphzardly, and then decides the way to end this continuity reaching back 15 years is by turning Cybertron into a technoorganic paradise which isn't going to sit well with some people.
2.5 Had Transtech have happened, it might have helped Beast Machine's longterm popularity, as it would no longer be the "end" of G1.

If you can get past 1 and realize that 2/2.5 don't really matter in the long run given how much NeoG1 stuff is available now, it's actually a decent series and I'd would honestly rate it as one of the good ones. Not super high on that list, but it's definitely a series I don't mind rewatching. I actually think the animation holds up pretty well while Beast Wars' visuals are an.. uh.. acquired taste at this point.
How well was Beast machines though of back in 2005?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's still a failure on a number of levels. It's just interesting, and meets a baseline level of production quality that we didn't know we were taking for granted. The episodes may not fit well together for various reasons but an individual episode is at least a finished product. Every few years I try to give it another chance, and every time I get hooked and think I'm going to like it this time, until it loses me.

If you just pick an episode and watch it out of curiosity you will probably think the haters were crazy. It makes a very good first impression.

Top Bottom