Who should be Commander Class

Shadhausen

Citizen
G2 Tank Megatron seems to simple for Commander Class. I guess they could give him a more involved transformation but we saw what happens when they do that with Laser Optimus.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I have yet to buy a Commander class, as the price is pretty much out of my range, but 2 that I would spring for:

Guardian Command Center (or Sentry?)
-in Commander class, I would envision this as a partial retool of (or similar design to) Sky Lynx, with the base mode, shuttle mode, and quadruped mode.

Renegade Zod
-make a nice big monster mode, and go crazy with a vehicle mode.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
G2 Tank Megatron seems to simple for Commander Class. I guess they could give him a more involved transformation but we saw what happens when they do that with Laser Optimus.
Yeah, even Leader would be pushing it a bit. I'd be fine with a Voyager, really. The key thing is it has to be an all new mold.

Or if they MUST get a G1ish Megs out of it, do a Universe 2.0 Sideswipe/Sunstreaker and prepare a tooling that uses the back as the front, and folds down or redistributes the tank chest. Or whatever. As long as the G2 body/silhouette is the priority.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, even Leader would be pushing it a bit. I'd be fine with a Voyager, really. The key thing is it has to be an all new mold.

Or if they MUST get a G1ish Megs out of it, do a Universe 2.0 Sideswipe/Sunstreaker and prepare a tooling that uses the back as the front, and folds down or redistributes the tank chest. Or whatever. As long as the G2 body/silhouette is the priority.

The Universe Sideswipe/Sunstreaker approach has potential but I'll do you one better. Do it Punch/Counterpunch style, so you can transform it either way without swapping the fists.

Then do a Rebirth Megatron repaint.

Blot

Citizen
They don't need to overthink it. The base mode is still totally doable with an articulated toy.
For a minute I thought you meant Grandus's carrier mode and I thought to myself "I sure hope so!"

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Then do a Rebirth Megatron repaint.
And then a Selects Reverse Convoy.
ad11621f-4b96-4b2b-aabd-391116893110_text.gif

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
For Commander class:
Power Master Optimus prime/Super Grini
Animated Megatron, Earth mode (the original toy has a presance that you cannot deny)
Animated Ultra Magnus
Cybertron/Galaxy Force Optimus prime/Convoy
The other scramble city leader bots aside from Motor Master as he been done
Starscream (why, why not, he had a large figure back in Cybertron/Galaxy Force)
Fort Maax, for the Marvel scale
Scorponok, same reason as Fort Max
Thunderwing (he long over due for a new toy and Hasbro missed a chance to make use of the Skyshadow/Overlord/Dai Atlas mold)
Unicron, based upon his Cybertron toy, only upscaled
Grimlock, G1, because he should have the right to enter the larger size class

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Yeah G2 Megs doesn’t need much of anything beyond a leader class. I mean if we just upgrade the articulation and stick to the basic transformation scheme he’s really not needed to be all that complex.

But an absolute must would be a shoulder cannon mount, but make it optional and put a port on his arm too for the heck of it. And the chest must be the whole front end of the tank! No turning it G1ish.

But honestly most of the ideas here for Commander classes seem viable, but not always something I would buy into.

But a new Star Convoy I could get behind. Being a retool of the PotP Optimus was pretty much my reason for passing on the selects release.

As much as I hate to say it, Energon Prime could use a new take. And honestly I could see him turning out much better. With less need to fit electronics in they could potentially balance out the bulk of his normal robot mode better. And perhaps put more focus on the drone team to give us a better looking Super mode.

RiD Megatron/Galvatron is another one that would be cool to see happen again. I mostly disagree about changing the ratchet joins into ball joints. The ratchets stay sturdier in my opinion, but admittedly you could have some more range of motion with the ball joints.

The suggestions for Lugnut and Tankor got a laugh out of me. Sure they are big bruisers of characters but I don’t think either need anything larger than Leader class. Granted a larger leader class than we’ve gotten most of the time recently. But with these two there’s mostly no need to add superfluous additions to bulk up the cost of a fancy voyager like some like Shockwave have been. Lugnut just needs a better articulated design of what he already was mostly. And give us a way to add in the POKE on his claw.

Tankor on the other hand would benefit from two accessories. A Key to Vector Sigma that plugs into his cannon, and the Diagnostic Drone. Sadly I feel they would probably only do the key as the Drone would push costs elsewhere and less would go to Tankor himself. But again neither would constitute a need for Commander size or engineering to me.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
When it comes to someone like Tankor, his size would mostly depend on who he's interacting with. If he's scaled to other Vehicons and Maximals, a Leader class would be the minimum size required for him. But if he's going to be scaled to Autobots and Decepticons, then he'd be no bigger than a Deluxe (like he got back in Thrilling 30).

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
But a new Star Convoy I could get behind. Being a retool of the PotP Optimus was pretty much my reason for passing on the selects release.

As much as I hate to say it, Energon Prime could use a new take. And honestly I could see him turning out much better. With less need to fit electronics in they could potentially balance out the bulk of his normal robot mode better. And perhaps put more focus on the drone team to give us a better looking Super mode.

Star Convoy would be very workable at Commander class, I feel. Can give him his height, similar to what Jetfire got; they can also bring in aspects of RID2015 Optimus' engineering with Titans Return OP's base mode (unfolding lower legs).

Energon Prime is a fun thought exercise, but a trickier one too, as I think the general bulk is part of the look and should be retained to an extent. Maybe just put the rear tire block higher on the back and make the legs evenly thick rather than slimming down below the knee? The weird ad hoc-ness of the cab altmode, too. Although the more I look at pics of it the more I'm reminded of the wide and angular Beast Hunters Op truck mode, so maybe something along those lines. (Of course, it's more likely that the thing will end up a 1:1 translation.) Beyond that, I'd love for the rhombus trailer to be given a bit more functionality. Oh, and instead of blast effects, give him a slew of ENERGON WEAPONS. Recolor up a bunch of Legacy (and earlier) weapons in various clear colors.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
But if he's going to be scaled to Autobots and Decepticons, then he'd be no bigger than a Deluxe (like he got back in Thrilling 30).

I want to know why this point is only ever raised when talking about Tankor. Whenever anyone discusses new Beast Wars toys, or the possibility of a BM Jetstorm, nobody ever talks about how small they should be compared to G1 guys. But when it's Tankor, maybe he should be a Deluxe because he's not actually that big.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I just chuckle when I see scale between universes as a debating point. We already have Beast Wars characters in the standard scales. Clearly Hasbro isn't going to make them to scale with the G1 characters, or they'd all have to be Core-class.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I mean I get it if your that hellbent on scaling, sure scale back Tankor. I'd prefer to size up the Beast characters somewhat to stand with their G1 and other normal robot brethren. There's being slave to the fiction, but I feel you have more fun when they are closer in size. Thus yes I want Tankor to at least be a Voyager at smallest. He should be a thick guy compared to Warpath, but perhaps smaller than a G2 or Armada Megatron

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It is pretty interesting that we are getting a Core class Beast Machines Cheetor in Legacy United. ;)

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Tangential to the main discussion, but while I love the Deluxe Beast updates, I would absolutely re-buy every Beast in Core-class scale (LOVED the RotB Beast weapons). Not to scale with G1 characters, but to display with my Gobots.

I also once envisioned a reimagining of the Pretender concept where they were vehicular versions of the Maximals and Predacons with compartments for Core/Legend/Legion scale Beast figures to live inside.

Top Bottom