What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

NovaSaber

Citizen

Republican-controlled legislatures around the country have moved to erect new barriers to voting for high school and college students in what state lawmakers describe as an effort to clamp down on potential voter fraud. Critics call it a blatant attempt to suppress the youth vote as young people increasingly bolster Democratic candidates and liberal causes at the ballot box.

As turnout among young voters grows, new proposals that change photo ID requirements or impose other limits have emerged.

Laws enacted in Idaho this year, for instance, prohibit the use of student IDs to register to vote or cast ballots. A new law in Ohio, in effect for the first time in Tuesday’s primary elections, requires voters to present government-authorized photo ID at the polls, but student IDs are not included. Identification issued by universities has not traditionally been accepted to vote in the Buckeye State, but the new law eliminates the use of utility bills, bank statements and other documents that students have used before.

A proposal in Texas would eliminate all campus polling places in the state. Meanwhile, officials in Montana – where Democrat Jon Tester is seeking a fourth term in one of 2024’s highest-profile Senate contests – have appealed a court decision striking down additional document requirements for those using student IDs to vote.

And voting rights advocates say a longstanding statute in Georgia, which bars the use of student IDs from private universities, has made it more difficult for students at several schools – including Spelman and Morehouse, storied HBCUs in Atlanta – to participate in Georgia’s competitive US Senate and presidential elections.

z8cHliIh.jpg

Ironbite4

Citizen

NovaSaber

Citizen
Researchers who tracked the emergence of no-fault divorce laws state by state over that period found that reform led to dramatic drops in the rates of female suicide and domestic violence, as well as decreases in spousal homicide of women. The decreases, one researcher explained, were “not just because abused women (and men) could more easily divorce their abusers, but also because potential abusers knew that they were more likely to be left.”

Today, more than two-thirds of all heterosexual divorces in the U.S. are initiated by women.

Republicans across the country are now reconsidering no-fault divorce. There isn’t a huge mystery behind the campaign: Like the crusades against abortion and contraception, making it more difficult to leave an unhappy marriage is about control. Crowder’s home state could be the first to eliminate it, if the Texas GOP gets its way. Last year, the Republican Party of Texas added language to its platform calling for an end to no-fault divorce: “We urge the Legislature to rescind unilateral no-fault divorce laws, to support covenant marriage, and to pass legislation extending the period of time in which a divorce may occur to six months after the date of filing for divorce.”

The legislation, SB-1993, passed in the Texas State Senate on Tuesday by a vote of 19-12. According to the text of the bill, the Secretary of State, a position appointed by Republican Governor Gregg Abbott and currently held by Jane Nelson, would have the authority to throw election results in counties wherein 2 percent or more of the polling locations ran out of ballot paper for more than an hour. In the event that an election was thrown out, a new one would then be held.

The specific parameters of the bill were inspired by incidents in Harris County during the 2022 midterm elections, in which 26 out of the county's 782 polling locations were affected, according to the Houston Chronicle. Despite the relatively small number of locations affected, the issue was seized upon by Texas Republicans, some of whom claimed that the shortages cost them their races, ultimately leading to the push for legislation that resulted in SB-1993.

NovaSaber

Citizen

The Texas House will soon vote on whether to expel Rep. Bryan Slaton (R) for having sex with a 19-year-old intern after giving enough alcohol to where she “could not effectively consent to intercourse and could not indicate whether [Slaton's conduct] was welcome or unwelcome," the House committee recommending his expulsion found.

Slaton, who has called for abortion to be a capital offense, had unprotected sex with the young woman and procured Plan B pregnancy-prevention medication the next morning, according to a friend of hers.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
Wait, Republicans voted out one of their own for committing crimes instead of circling the wagons around him? Is it Opposite Day?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Betcha he won't be criminally charged and imprisoned for it, though.
Well, no, of course not.

I am, though, over selling it. Dude got a 19 year old drunk enough to not be able to consent. So, not actually a kid, but not the age of consent. Plus, the outright hypocrisy of him cause the morning after he runs her out to a plan B pill. If nothing else it's just another in a long line of "when they show you who they are, believe them".

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen

We'll see if this ends up going anywhere. I don't get my hopes up anymore when it comes to Republicans facing actual consequences.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Unsurprisingly Santos is claiming witch hunt on Twitter. Just following the lead of ex-President and sexual abuser Donald Trump.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Dude got a 19 year old drunk enough to not be able to consent. So, not actually a kid, but not the age of consent.
Wait, what's the age of consent where you live? Because I don't know of any US state where it's any higher than 18.

She was under the legal drinking age, though, so you can add that to his rap sheet.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Given that several republicans have come out in favor of child marriage, I don't think the age of consent is that big a deal to them.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Wait, what's the age of consent where you live? Because I don't know of any US state where it's any higher than 18.

She was under the legal drinking age, though, so you can add that to his rap sheet.
16 up here, but I am repeating what I heard about this.

Edit: hold up, I think the disconnect for us is that we're not talking about the age of consent for sex, we're talking about the age of consent for alcohol. The rape part comes in because she was too drunk to stop him. Yes, I just now figured this out too, cause it kind of didn't make sense the other way 'round.

Top Bottom