What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

MrBlud

Citizen
My feelings on that are entirely context based.

Denying quorum because you don’t have the votes to stop the Legislature from banning abortion if you were there?

Brave heroes

Denying quorum because you don’t have the votes to stop the Legislature from allowing abortion if you were there?

Cowardly weasels

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Well yeah, that's why I've had mixed feelings on the whole "nation of laws"/"rule of law" thing. The law truly is only useful as a cudgel to wield against the bad people, and if there's any chance they can get their hands on it, it's hard to say you wouldn't have been better off without it.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
And that boycott worked so well, Alabama and the entire Deep South are still widely thought of as a giant swampy wasteland inhabited only by toothless hillbillies where no civilized person has dared venture for decades.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
It already was, for the most part. They haven't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 1984.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
It already was, for the most part. They haven't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 1984.
That’s true of a LOT of states. But just because the general populace votes blue, doesn’t mean that Republican shenanigans haven’t left most of those states with a decidedly red local government.

Ungnome

Citizen
A lot of states, yes, but Oregon isn't one of them. The Republicans haven't controlled either house in their legislature since 2007. It's one of the reasons the western counties keep threatening to succeed and join Idaho.

Covert Agent Rodimal

Citizen
I grew up in Eastern Oregon, and while I don't agree with the smallest portion of a state/country being able to make policy for the rest, I have no problem with this. Most Eastern Oregonian would fit right in in Florida or Texas.

Ungnome

Citizen
It's funny about that. It's the 'smallest' part of the state, but it DOES have the largest part of the population. Is it any more fair that at the national level that a citizen of Wyoming should have more influence than a citizen of California?

NovaSaber

Citizen

Taylor, a Georgia GOP Chair, recently discussed on her show, Jesus, Guns, and Babies, her belief that the Earth is flat. She claims that there is a conspiracy involving the placement of globe-shaped objects to deceive people into believing otherwise."

"Everywhere there's globes…and that's what they do to brainwash… For me, if it is not a conspiracy, if it is, you know, 'real,' why are you pushing so hard? Everywhere I go, every store, you buy a globe, there's globes everywhere—every movie, every TV show, news media, why?"

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen

Ungnome

Citizen
I'd give MTG a dictionary, but I'm not sure if she'd know how to use it.

Covert Agent Rodimal

Citizen
It's funny about that. It's the 'smallest' part of the state, but it DOES have the largest part of the population. Is it any more fair that at the national level that a citizen of Wyoming should have more influence than a citizen of California?
That is true. I don't know how to make it fair if the people in the government won't work together, take the opinions of the rest of the state into consideration and do their damned jobs for once.

MrBlud

Citizen
Politics are largely “mutually exclusive” especially these days.

Politicians can’t “sit down and work together and do what’s best for the country” because they disagree on what that is.

That inherent dissension is *why* we have parties in the first place.

Top Bottom