What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Some fantastic committee assignments by the GOP so far.

Marjorie Taylor Greene, who suggested the Jan 6 uprising would have succeeded if she was in charge, is now on the Homeland Security Committee.

George Santos is now on the Small Business Committee and the Sciance, Space and Technology committee. No doubt his experience running the World Trade Organization and piloting the Apollo missions helped get him on those.

Last edited:

NovaSaber

Citizen
yAyZrYhh.jpg

ironymeter.gif

Nevermore

Citizen
Oh, and apparently his name isn't george santos.
I suddenly remembered that bit in Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan where presidential candidate Gary Callahan announces his running mate, Joshua Schreiber Freeh, a nobody with a suspuciosly clean track record, and it turns out he's a literal custom-made clone.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Because it's not really about food. It's about anything using fetal cells, or cell groups derived from fetuses. Which is mostly medical research. In other words, it's a roundabout way to stir up more antivax nonsense, and if anyone opposes it he can call them cannibals to demonize them.

Kup

Citizen
I wouldn’t write a plan like this off entirely. We already pay a lot in taxes, and if this eliminates FICA, SSI, state/local income tax, along with Federal income taxes…it might end up being a wash. I’d have to run the numbers but I might even come out ahead with a plan like this.

Now if this is in addition to state and local taxes, or states get to keep their income taxes, never mind. But I am a strong proponent of eliminating states rights and having a national system. If that is a step in that direction, it could be a good thing.

I cannot believe I am defending a Republican idea…

Generator

Citizen
It's a tax that will overwhelmingly heavily impact the lower and middle classes, and is meant to help gut the social safety net.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I wouldn’t write a plan like this off entirely. We already pay a lot in taxes, and if this eliminates FICA, SSI, state/local income tax, along with Federal income taxes…it might end up being a wash. I’d have to run the numbers but I might even come out ahead with a plan like this.

Now if this is in addition to state and local taxes, or states get to keep their income taxes, never mind. But I am a strong proponent of eliminating states rights and having a national system. If that is a step in that direction, it could be a good thing.

I cannot believe I am defending a Republican idea…
You're defending it because, like all republican ideas, it's being sold with very little actual information to it's implementation. You seem to have some basic hope that government will attempt to actually improve things.

This is just the republicans setting up a loss so they can rant about how democrats aren't letting them get any "real work" done, and have an actual example to point to. Given how prolifically they lie, and how much their base just sucks it up: I don't even know why they bothered.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Keep in mind a sales tax is inherently regressive. It's a HUGE boon to the rich, not so much anyone else.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Basically, sales tax makes economic inequality worse because people who already have less money also spend proportionately more money.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I'd like to add a blurb here about Vimes' economics of boots, but I think we're all adults who can look that up.
As others have said, a sales tax is inherently going to hit the lower economic scales far more than the upper tiers. This needs to go nowhere.
But if this is what we can expect from republicans for the next few years, it's going to be a slog of disinformation and bullshit.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
But if this is what we can expect from republicans for the next few years, it's going to be a slog of disinformation and bullshit.
You say that like it's not what what we've gotten from Republicans for the last 50 years.

Top Bottom