Urkel Saves Santa

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I’m down for more Urkel in itself, but after watching this it’s more apparent that he needs a co-star like Carl to bounce off of.

This felt like a passion project that really needs more cooks in the kitchen to get it right. Having Urkel in a state of animated arrested development bouncing off a cast of new characters felt off. They even at one point during a song near the beginning have him walk through the Winslow’s kitchen and Living Room only for it to be someone else’s house.

And the songs….. they are not earworms at all. Again 80% Urkel wasn’t a good idea here. There’s just too much in his voice and the only song I kind of enjoyed is near the end after he meets Santa, which admittedly their version of him is a trip. Probably the most fun of the movie.

It’s kinda sad, as I loved Urkel on Family Matters, but there is the kicker. He was better with the Winslows to play off of. The new cast of neighbors tries to fill that void, but there’s no Laura for him to pine for and sway his attention. There’s a Harriet like character but she’s more kind than sassy. The Mall Santa becomes a pseudo Carl figure, but it’s not Reginald.

And they know that’s what people are going to want as they even joke about reboots or new shows and the Family Matters logo pops up above him. So much of it has that feel of the setting too. But it just doesn’t feel the same.

Shadewing

Citizen
TBH, I am neutral with animated Urkel. While it may not be original, the fact that they basically take the character and put him in a new universe is a better way to introduce kids to this 90's pop culture character than a sequel series in the vein of Fuller House and Girl Meets World (which were not liked by many fans of the series they were sequels to).

I dont want a sequel series; just that if your gonna have Jaleel play Urkel in 2023, make him an adult Urkel; becuase he can't sound like a 13 yo kid anymore.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
What I'm wondering is, does this movie seem to exist in the same world as the Scooby-Doo episode Urkel guest-starred in, or is this not canon to that either?

It already can't be canon to Family Matters if there's no Winslows and Steve isn't married to Laura, but could it be in the same world as that Scooby-Doo crossover?

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen

...I feel like I like that premise alot more then I should and could almost actually see that working... Like not to that parody degree; but giving the character some focus beyond wacky neighbor and sorta found family element in why he spends so much time with the Winslows; even the dead father element can work on why he looks up to Carl so much; with him being a father figure. There's a decent bit that you could do there with out loosing the soul and spirit of character.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
was there even demand for this?
From Jaleel White's bank account, maybe.

When I saw the trailer for this recently, I was wondering if they divorced the character from what else he'd been in like Pee-Wee Herman or something. Guess now I have my answer.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
even the dead father element can work on why he looks up to Carl so much; with him being a father figure. There's a decent bit that you could do there with out loosing the soul and spirit of character.
It's not even that far removed from what was true of the original version of the character, in that both of his parents basically abandoned him when he was still a minor and ran away to live in Russia. That's why he moved in with the Winslows halfway through the show. It was strongly implied that his parents simply didn't love him.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
I’m down for more Urkel in itself, but after watching this it’s more apparent that he needs a co-star like Carl to bounce off of.

This felt like a passion project that really needs more cooks in the kitchen to get it right. Having Urkel in a state of animated arrested development bouncing off a cast of new characters felt off. They even at one point during a song near the beginning have him walk through the Winslow’s kitchen and Living Room only for it to be someone else’s house.

And the songs….. they are not earworms at all. Again 80% Urkel wasn’t a good idea here. There’s just too much in his voice and the only song I kind of enjoyed is near the end after he meets Santa, which admittedly their version of him is a trip. Probably the most fun of the movie.

It’s kinda sad, as I loved Urkel on Family Matters, but there is the kicker. He was better with the Winslows to play off of. The new cast of neighbors tries to fill that void, but there’s no Laura for him to pine for and sway his attention. There’s a Harriet like character but she’s more kind than sassy. The Mall Santa becomes a pseudo Carl figure, but it’s not Reginald.

And they know that’s what people are going to want as they even joke about reboots or new shows and the Family Matters logo pops up above him. So much of it has that feel of the setting too. But it just doesn’t feel the same.

Yup "Oops all Urkle" is not appealing. Withou the Winslows, he doesn't hit the same.

Top Bottom