UK politics thread – it just keeps on getting worse

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I mean... he's also a complete figurehead. Let's not lose sight of the fact that Charles III is not now, nor likely to try to become, the dictator of England. Even under the Tories, Parliament would have his head if he tried, if for no other reason than they want to have that power for themselves.

It's honestly very weird. The only authority he commands is that people play along with his little game of pretend. But he can wield that authority with as hard and as heavy of a club as he desires.

MrBlud

Citizen
I feel like he has very little actual power if push came to shove and he’d be essentially locked in the castle if he tried to do anything to actually disrupt the prevailing order like advocating for the UK to rejoin the EU or restraining big business from dragging England back to Dickensian levels.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yeah... except they couldn't do that to him even if they wanted to, or he deserved it. The monarchy are beloved by... well, enough of the country that anything seen as "oppressing" them would probably end in revolts. He's a figurehead, yeah, totally. No real or actual political power: but they have the hearts and ears of the people, and there's more than enough people to make sure that if any actual politician bucked his will, well, it'll either be a bloodbath at the ballot box or a pressure washer on traitors gate.

Anonymous X

Citizen
I mean... he's also a complete figurehead. Let's not lose sight of the fact that Charles III is not now, nor likely to try to become, the dictator of England. Even under the Tories, Parliament would have his head if he tried, if for no other reason than they want to have that power for themselves.

It's honestly very weird. The only authority he commands is that people play along with his little game of pretend. But he can wield that authority with as hard and as heavy of a club as he desires.
There’s no contradiction in accepting that we have a relatively powerless constitutional monarchy while also supporting republicanism… I’ll always be a republican, and support the abolition of the monarchy and prefer to be a parliamentary republic despite that. (I don’t like the idea of becoming an executive presidential republic like France or the US, FWIW.)

I accept that Britain is unlikely to become a republic in my lifetime. However, while we have a monarchy I’d rather it be as distant as practically possible in its constitutional role, and stop wasting public funds where it isn’t needed on dated pageantry and decadent displays of wealth. I don’t like the nationalistic elements of it either, and this underlying assumption that any republican must hate Britain.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Anyway, republicanism is very heavily repressed in Britain. We have no real organisations, no flags, icons or symbols, no political party behind us, no anthem. It’s still treated with disdain and an eccentric fringe view rather than, say, something reasonable like wanting to have a democratic head of state.

Last edited:

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Anyway, republicanism is very heavily repressed in Britain. We have no real organisations, no flags, icons or symbols, no political party behind us, no anthem. It’s still treated with disdain and an eccentric fringe view rather than, say, something reasonable like wanting to have a democratic head of state.
Do you suppose that Cromwell's excesses might have poisoned the well in that regard?

Anonymous X

Citizen
Do you suppose that Cromwell's excesses might have poisoned the well in that regard?
Most British people I suspect probably don’t know who Cromwell was, let alone that his ‘commonwealth’ was a theocratic dictatorship. It’s a long time ago anyway. It’s more to do with keeping the vestiges of the feudal class system in place (remember we still have an appointed House of Lords with remnant hereditary peers).

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
coronationpotholes.png

Anonymous X

Citizen
I can't blame this on Brexit. Just an aging infrastructure that's showing the cracks.
Copy and pasted the wrong link, not the one I was intending, but doesn’t really help that we have to check passports that had free movement before. All this decaying infrastructure was never up to the task of even a mild Brexit, but politicians gonna politics.

Anonymous X

Citizen
So the government floated the idea of food price controls due to surging inflation, but quickly rowing it back to a “voluntary” arrangement.
I still think it amusing that Brexit seems to be moving an increasingly right wing Tory party to propose 1970s Old Labour policies.

Anonymous X

Citizen
In his (belated) resignation honours list, Boris Johnson has given knighthoods, damehoods and peerages to some of the worst ghouls and monsters in Tory party. He’s also resigned immediately as an MP due to being under investigation for serially breaking laws in lockdown that his government introduced.

(Yes, I think the honours and House of Lords should be abolished along with the monarchy. It’s all just medieval bollocks.)

Top Bottom