Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

unluckiness

Not Mecha-Broccoli
Citizen
I kind of want this to do good since the movie is decent but at the same time, I also don't want to reward the overexuberant and rather shallow memberberry usage.

unluckiness

Not Mecha-Broccoli
Citizen
Not a fan of any of those but they're ultimately disposable scenes with no bearing on the story or future plotlines. Now they have to deal with the avoidable "future and past" nonsense and wasted Unicron as a disposable end-of-the-world skybeam thing on top of making him look like a chump. It's not an either-or proposition.

Last edited:

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
You know that Mass Effect 2 DLC where the relay the Reapers were going to use to get into the galaxy is destroyed, but it's just a delaying tactic becuase the Reapers can just get back to the galaxy on their own, but it's just slower?

That's basically what happened with Unicron. His "appear instantly" move got stopped but he can still, you know, just fly to Earth the slow way.

unluckiness

Not Mecha-Broccoli
Citizen
Yeah they could write around it but the thing is, Unicron in this film could have been one of the many generic world-ending artifacts and the script wouldn’t be much different. Just brings baggage and complicates potential future movies for not much payoff.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The usage of Unicron in this movie kind of feels like a case where Caple simply let his inner fanboy do the talking instead of his director mindset.

Which, honestly, is pretty wild, considering how much of an anti-fan Bay was.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Didn't they say they already had a trilogy in mind?

Granted, of course they'd say that. And also we'll see given what the returns are.

Lobjob

Citizen
I mean, linking Unicron, the Terrorcons and the Maximals together in a cohesive way that actually made sense is pretty intelligent writing, something these movies desperately needed.

Teasing Unicron here will make his big attack (if it ever happens) fit better as opposed to the 86 movie where he just comes out of nowhere and the macguffin that is used to destroy him is revealed to have been with us the entire time.

Using the terrorcons as *basically* Hook, Line and Sinker as a precursor to (presumably) Galvatron and whoever joins him does a good job of establishing a pattern in Unicron having underlings, if they feel like going that route.

Honestly, the only thing I didn't adore about this movie is Optimus as a rage monster. I get he's upset but, my god. If you are "breaking" from Bay "continuity" you could have left this character trait behind.

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I still think they at least did a good job in justifying Prime’s aggressive behavior far more than in prior films. And, if they build off this film as they seem to want, we could get some character development from that. AND, at least his personality is consistent.

I remember in most of the Bay sequels, Prime would change from ”wise leader” to “Kill them all and bring me their faces” on a dime.

Lobjob

Citizen
There is, an albeit loose, and probably accidental, arc in Bay Prime's character. First movie he is relatively sane, but the betrayal of his brother (megatron) has him all sad and ashamed, to the point where he's cool with making the ultimate sacrifice by having the allspark rammed in his chest.

He doesn't do that, and megs dies. And he still skewers Bonecrusher on the highway. Which, violent but it is war.

Anyways, in revenge of the fallen, he dies, and this is where his aggression really elevates. I mean, the man wears a corpse and starts taking faces. Optimus definitely did not enjoy dying.

Dark of the Moon, he is betrayed both by the humans he has decided to protect and his mentor. To say this made him jaded and bitter would be an understatement. Sure, the Autobots needed time to regroup, but he essentially lets the Deceptions invade unimpeded to prove a point to humans they shouldn't have exiled his crew, then takes care of megatron and sentinel himself, while losing an arm in the process.

In age of extinction, the humans betray prime further as Cemetery Wind sets out to exterminate them. By this point, optimus has lost more friends and is blasting evil humans and wondering what any of this all means.

And by the last knight, even though you have Unicron mucking with him, he straight up becomes nemesis prime. Which, I had always wanted the more psycho he got. Like, if you're gonna do it, do it.

Anyways, where was I going? I guess it makes *sense* over the course of five movies for *this* Prime to be a maniac. Here, in Rise of the Beasts, I felt he hadnt had all that shit happen to him yet and he's already THERE.

Granted, they could expand on this in the next one like you said. Time will tell.

(Also, having Scourge BE future Optimus (or A future Optimus) still would have been a logical step for him, but whatever. Scourge is Scourge, whoever that is)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
There is, an albeit loose, and probably accidental, arc in Bay Prime's character. First movie he is relatively sane, but the betrayal of his brother (megatron) has him all sad and ashamed, to the point where he's cool with making the ultimate sacrifice by having the allspark rammed in his chest.

He doesn't do that, and megs dies. And he still skewers Bonecrusher on the highway. Which, violent but it is war.

Anyways, in revenge of the fallen, he dies, and this is where his aggression really elevates. I mean, the man wears a corpse and starts taking faces. Optimus definitely did not enjoy dying.

Dark of the Moon, he is betrayed both by the humans he has decided to protect and his mentor. To say this made him jaded and bitter would be an understatement. Sure, the Autobots needed time to regroup, but he essentially lets the Deceptions invade unimpeded to prove a point to humans they shouldn't have exiled his crew, then takes care of megatron and sentinel himself, while losing an arm in the process.

In age of extinction, the humans betray prime further as Cemetery Wind sets out to exterminate them. By this point, optimus has lost more friends and is blasting evil humans and wondering what any of this all means.
At last year's BotCon, there was a panel in the style of a college lecture that psychoanalyzed this exact character arc of Prime, complete with the the fact that, from Movie 1 to AOE, Optimus gradually shifts from being right-handed to left-handed, symbolically illustrating this journey of his.

And by the last knight, even though you have Unicron mucking with him, he straight up becomes nemesis prime.
Quintessa did that. Unicron was asleep for the whole movie.

Lobjob

Citizen
Fair. I guess I'm due for a rewatch. I don't know why I thought she was working with him? Good job brain.

Last edited:

Blot

Citizen
I always figured Murder Prime happened because Bay heard people grumble Prime was too whiny in the first film with his constant "SAM KILL ME PLEASE KILL ME" and then just hyper corrected that going forward.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
ROTF was full of corrections. Prime was a better fighter, the Decepticons got to speak more, and the camerawork was a lot smoother. It's a shame the production was so chaotic because it feels like they had good intentions.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I still feel pretty convinced that Bay made TLK as bad as it was on purpose, to get Hasbro to finally let him go. The man had to know what he was doing when he chose to put, of all things, Nazi banners on Winston Churchill's estate.

Last edited:

Top Bottom