Transformers Legacy toyline

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
With Legacy Bulkhead, I wasn't impressed with the paint job trying to look like Prime universe, it was a complete failure on that part, while I got the Wreckers verison, which feels better overall, sure I know there is no differences in the mold, but the paint job, just feels right for that Bulkhead, after all he transforms into a miltray vehicle, so miltray camo colours work best for him if you ask me, but clearly I think there was some confusion with Legacy in the desgining and marketing departments of Hasbro, they didn't really know what to do, with the Netflix series ending after the third "Season" AKA completion of the amount of eps they ordered and not ordering any more, I think they not been sure what to do and the desginers were pretty much doing their own thing with very little idea of what comes next and there was the hold over from Kingdom in the remaining Predacons and the delay of the Rise of the Beasts movie likely caused some confusion as well!

I would say out of all of legacy thus far, I would say the best voyager is Tarn/Bundgeon, its such a posable figure and no kibble beyond the weaponary, thou Trashmaster is certainly intersting, thou I not messed with him as much as the Tarn/Budgeon figures

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
but clearly I think there was some confusion with Legacy in the desgining and marketing departments of Hasbro, they didn't really know what to do, with the Netflix series ending after the third "Season" AKA completion of the amount of eps they ordered and not ordering any more, I think they not been sure what to do and the desginers were pretty much doing their own thing with very little idea of what comes next and there was the hold over from Kingdom in the remaining Predacons and the delay of the Rise of the Beasts movie likely caused some confusion as well!
That's not what happened at all. The people who made the Netflix WFCT cartoon pitched a Legacy cartoon to Hasbro, but Hasbro said "No". The Legacy toys were not made to promote a new cartoon, that's backwards. The cartoons are made to promote new toys.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
That's not what happened at all. The people who made the Netflix WFCT cartoon pitched a Legacy cartoon to Hasbro, but Hasbro said "No". The Legacy toys were not made to promote a new cartoon, that's backwards. The cartoons are made to promote new toys.

TF Wiki states that Netflix were the ones who passed on a series based upon Legacy, so it could of been something in the middle.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
TF Wiki states that Netflix were the ones who passed on a series based upon Legacy, so it could of been something in the middle.
None of us were there so short of an official statement by someone it's a mute point arguing.

What I do know, however, is that the toys always come first with Transformers. So I'm inclined to believe Sabrblade's analysis that the toys were created first, and any cartoon that would promote them would have been dreamt up after the fact.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
I wouldn’t know either way but if the media came first, it’d probably have a unique title as opposed to simply reusing the toyline’s name.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Given the models in the show are based directly on toy CAD files rather than the toys being approximations of the characters on the show, the toys pretty blatently had to come first.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
None of us were there so short of an official statement by someone it's a mute point arguing.

What I do know, however, is that the toys always come first with Transformers. So I'm inclined to believe Sabrblade's analysis that the toys were created first, and any cartoon that would promote them would have been dreamt up after the fact.
I do not believe HASBRO would be the ones to turn down a media initiative unless in the position where they didn’t have a secure release venue. But I firmly believe that, for collector centric Generations line, the toys ARE coming first, with tie in media a secondary concern.

But the franchise as a whole? Eh…not such much anymore. Since the first live action film, the films and primary cartoons have ALL seemingly been “media first”, with Hasbro doing the toys after the fact. Kind of like most licensed toy lines. Stuff like the 2010 Cyber Missions and Netflix War for Cybertron series being an exception to that with the media actually following the toys.

But I remain disappointed in Hasbro (and many corporate entities, at this point) that have seemingly abandoned branded websites. I still maintain that fiction is a key driver to brand interest, and it’s sad that Hasbro couldn’t leverage that for telling SOMETHING of a story with a Transformers multiverse at their disposal, even if just a few blurbs intertwined with the character bios.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I absolutely agree with this. If I were grading Legacy as a whole and doing "best thing about it" and "worst thing about it" categories the later would absolutely be the exceptionally sparse fictional framework.

No main line has ever been even close to this empty of story. We have Hasbro saying "Transformers from the multiverse come together" which I'm not sure has even actually been printed anywhere, and we have pictures of characters stepping through portals to a barren wasteland. Some of them hold a Velocitron 5000. Toxitron menaces some of them (with so little fictional framework it's not even clear if the other characters in that subline are fighting for or against him). And That's it.

Previous lines, even aside from cartoons, had story established of what was going on and who was fighting who and why. And there were story bits in bios, and Amazon and Walmart ad blurbs, narrative expressed in special releases and packed in maps or story cards and so on. There was, even in the barest lines far more world and story than Legacy has and it, frankly, SUCKS.

Really the only piece of story goodness Legacy has gotten are the Velocitron 5000 comics from Japan. Those few short comics rule and have multiple times the story of everything else Legacy put together. I'd give anything for a similar couple comics about the Toxitron toys.

-ZacWilliam, things like the Legacy Junkions being cadets and being into wrestling and forming a Trash dinosaur are awesome and deserve to be real official story we get even if it has to be in just a sentence or two, instead of passing things designers mention in streams and we wish were more...

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It was even admitted in one of the designer Instagram posts that Legacy Bulkhead's altmode was indeed inspired by AOE Hound, and that the Amazon Wreckers redeco was made to give the figure an even bigger resemblance to Hound. So they just straight up admitted that they chose not to base the new Bulkhead figure directly on either existing Bulkhead. 😒

It's made even weirder when one considers the fact that Animated Bumblebee having big boot-like feet was a nod to the feet of G1 Bumblebee, which were likewise made from the front bumper area of his own original toy, a toy that also had big boot-like feet. So the original feet were already a G1 homage. In fact, a vast majority of new-mold G1 Bumblebee toys ( and all of their redecos/retools) made since the original Classics mold in 2006 have all had big boots. Having big boots is simply G1 Bumblebee's thing (among other things), and the original Animated Bumblebee toys replicated that faithfully. Hasbro's attempt to G1-ify the feet of this new Animated Bumblebee results in eliminating something that was already G1-based.

Wow, that they admitted the AOE Hound influence is both disappointing and yet good. I mean right from the get go Bulkhead of all Legacy figures just came across as a mashup of all three characters. Hell, if you replaced the Bulkhead head with a more AOE Hound-ish head, it’d still work.

Still like the figure as a whole.

Prime and Bee look really good and will go nicely with Legacy Ani Prowl.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
AOE Hound feels like an honorary member of the Bulkhead family anyway.
I used AoE Hound as a G1 Bulkhead to stand with my CHUG lineup until Legacy came out.

That said I made the vehicle comparison earlier mainly due to a Military truck being more in line with a SWAT vehicle than Primes Heavy SUV to me. Neither has a soft canopy back end though. I used to drive an older model style of Truck that they modeled the Legacy Bulkhead after. It definitely was more AoE Hound than either Ani or Prime Bulky.

But it’s still in that character wheelhouse of the main Animated cast, so I’m sure the desire for an Animated Ratchet is growing despite one being a tad off in the lineup. Of course it’s be hilarious to see it end up Prime Universe as well.

Onyx

Citizen
Anyone else get an email from Pulse saying their Nacelle order was no longer available and was canceled?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Anyone else get an email from Pulse saying their Nacelle order was no longer available and was canceled?

Man, I missed out on getting one from Pulse, so I preordered mine on Amazon instead. Kinda glad that I did miss it now, 'cause Amazon came through without any issues.

RCX

Citizen
Yes, same with me for Nacelle on PULSE. I'm betting this has to do with the NOT-mold situation.
Luckily he's available on Amazon EZPZ.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Nacelle is fantastic. I would suggest ordering one from Amazon if you missed out on Pulse. His colors are so great and the Siege Seeker is such a fun toy.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's just what the someone infected with the mind-control fungus would say.

Nacelle is a super fun toy that everyone should buy multiple units of. The most fun way to play with Nacelle is to place your face near the toy and inhale deeply. After that, it's fun to ingest many nutrients and climb to the top of a large structure where air currents could carry any emerging spores to as many new hosts as possible.

Dake

Citizen
body-snatchers-point.gif

Top Bottom