Transformers Legacy toyline

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
The media generally wants optimus to be a prime, but always forgets that he was orion pax before he was optimus. If you make the leaders PEOPLE, rather than infallible... somethings or others, you make better media.

I want a prime that says "I don't have time for that right now" and "Not even going to try", because it outlines their individual and contextual limits. Earthspark prime, despite the fact that most of his time on screen is literally either deliberately being a caricature, or being a... politician, is the most realistic... giant alien robot person... you could ask for.

Last edited:

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I kind of dig the Krang-Straxus in theory, at least as something that would work in a comic or an animated show, but it would definitely be difficult at best to get that disjointed collection of limbs to transform into something cohesive as a toy.
In a theoretical world where a Marvel Comics-accurate Straxus already existed, I'd be willing to see Krang-Straxus made. Until and unless that happens, it's a mistake.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Which is one reason I like both Earthspark and SB's Transformers title. Both seem to remember that Optimus is a compassionate guy who just wants the best for everyone and isn't above a dad joke or two. He's not an endless trailer quote machine.
The media generally wants optimus to be a prime, but always forgets that he was orion pax before he was optimus. If you make the leaders PEOPLE, rather than infallible... somethings or others, you make better media.

I want a prime that says "I don't have time for that right now" and "Not even going to try", because it outlines their individual and contextual limits. Earthspark prime, despite the fact that most of his time on screen is literally either deliberately being a caricature, or being a... politician, is the most realistic... giant alien robot person... you could ask for.
Cyberverse Optimus also says "Hi." He was shown to be introverted, bad at giving party speeches, and could even get annoyed at the most mundane things because of their being so mundane. He had flaws, and rather than seeing them as flaws that needed to be overcome in order to better himself, the show recognized that it was acceptable for him to have those flaws. The show was like, "This Optimus Prime is not a flawless paragon of perfection, and that's okay."

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
Cyberverse Optimus also says "Hi." He was shown to be introverted, bad at giving party speeches, and could even get annoyed at the most mundane things because of their being so mundane. He had flaws, and rather than seeing them as flaws that needed to be overcome in order to better himself, the show recognized that it was acceptable for him to have those flaws. The show was like, "This Optimus Prime is not a flawless paragon of perfection, and that's okay."

Cyberverse Optimus was fun - and awkward. So was Animated Optimus, if I'm remembering correctly.

The next show writers (if they're writing for "adults") should watch the Orville, then write a Transformers show.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
The problem I had with Animated Optimus was that he was such a departure it stopped feeling like Optimus. If you wanted to tell the story of how Orion Pax became Optimus Prime and wanted to update it with Orion Pax having adventures on Earth then that would be cool. But even G1 Optimus, in all of his dad joking basketball playing glory didn't feel like that much of a guy out of his depth.

Oh! Animated but the main Autobot is Hot Rod, with Optimus in the rarely seen Ultra Magnus role, would have been a fun play on it too.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
It happened because Prime became a religious/monarchial position. Pre-Movie, Optimus was a laid-back military dude and Prime was just part of his name. When it was retconned in the movie, it brought all the stuffy trappings you’d expect of being handpicked by capital-G God to be king.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It happened because Prime became a religious/monarchial position. Pre-Movie, Optimus was a laid-back military dude and Prime was just part of his name. When it was retconned in the movie, it brought all the stuffy trappings you’d expect of being handpicked by capital-G God to be king.
Keep in mind, all the religious stuff came from the Marvel comics. TFTM may have made "Prime" a Matrix-bearing rank, but before the comics invented Primus, the Matrix was just a tangible symbol of military/political authority with no explained origin.

Likewise, Unicron was "just some guy" whom season 3 would later say was built through science by a space monkey.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Tidalwave, incoming in Autumn 2024.

Image of Guido Guidi Transformers Legacy United Poster (15)__scaled_800.jpg

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Keep in mind, all the religious stuff came from the Marvel comics. TFTM may have made "Prime" a Matrix-bearing rank, but before the comics invented Primus, the Matrix was just a tangible symbol of military/political authority with no explained origin.

Likewise, Unicron was "just some guy" whom season 3 would later say was built through science by a space monkey.
And the Matrix appeared in that episode implying a connection to said space monkey.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
You know what's really wild? All these years it was believed that TFTM took the Matrix concept from the Creation Matrix of the Marvel comics and morphed it into the Matrix of Leadership, since the comics written by Furman pretended the two were the same thing with different names. But with the uncovering of the original first-draft script of TFTM, we see that the term "Matrix" was already used in that script, which was written six months before the Creation Matrix first debuted in the Issue #5 in the comics. So the fact that Ron Friedman and Bob Budiansky each came up with their own completely different, completely separate, super special things for the Transformers that were both called "the Matrix", and completely independent of each other, is just the mother of all coincidences.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
And you have some companies like BadCube who base their entire brand around having challenging transformations.

Considering a lot of them were probably raised on marketing like this on every box, and these on TV...

...it makes sense.

I want a prime that says "I don't have time for that right now"

Whoa, now, let's not say anything we can't take back.

Ultra Magnus said that while holding the Matrix, and still hasn't lived that down!

1701235345711.png

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I just got the Nemesis titan class figure. The head on mine is so loose as to be a bobble-head.

Is that a common thing for this figure?

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen

I'd just like to clarify that I meant that in a general view of the franchise. There's no making sense of the G1 cartoon.

Last edited:

Top Bottom