Transformers Legacy toyline

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Had my head under water for so much work stuff the last week or so that Lift-ticket almost passed me by entirely.

Glad they're getting these out of the way. More diaclone redecos, welcome welcome. Roll out the blue and/or yellow Trailbreakers too, yeah?

The new packaging is pretty neat. Art is better than the Unicron pack Galvatron's, too. I will miss being able to just chuck the boxes without bothering with scanning them. Now I'm gonna have to do this.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm very iffy on the cartoon style Menasor combination, but I'll wait to see pics to see if it turns out ok.

At the least, the Motormaster is likely to be much better than before. The same is true for the individual Stunticons -- Drag Strip looks great and I already want redecos/retools.

MrBlud

Citizen
“Hooking up vehicles to an exoskeleton” can actually work for the great majority of G1 Combiners with the notable exceptions of Devastator and probably Raiden.

You could probably even remold the Motormaster trailer enough to work for Hot Spot and Onslaught since they’re large trucks anyway.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
I don’t really care about losing the scramble functionality as much as the possibility of having all the combiners made with a giant chunk of otherwise pointless giant robot. If I was into copouts like that, I’d still be buying megazords. Or 3rd party MP combiners

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hold up.

“Hooking up vehicles to an exoskeleton” can actually work for the great majority of G1 Combiners with the notable exceptions of Devastator and probably Raiden.

You could probably even remold the Motormaster trailer enough to work for Hot Spot and Onslaught since they’re large trucks anyway.

A Hot Spot that separates into a rough "cab" and a rough "trailer" is basically OTFCC Defensor. They could bring things full circle and get us a new RID01 Optimus Prime out of it.

unluckiness

Citizen
Hold up.

A Hot Spot that separates into a rough "cab" and a rough "trailer" is basically OTFCC Defensor. They could bring things full circle and get us a new RID01 Optimus Prime out of it.
I didn't know there was such a demand for an armless, legless RID Optimus

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
I don’t really care about losing the scramble functionality as much as the possibility of having all the combiners made with a giant chunk of otherwise pointless giant robot. If I was into copouts like that, I’d still be buying megazords. Or 3rd party MP combiners

im not replacing anyone but menasor. hes the only one im not happy with

well, maybe bruticus. just so i can get a good brawl out of it

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen

I really dislike the cartoon Menasor combination scheme. At least with him, there's a (bad) precedent for why it would be done that way. On anyone else? Ugh.

MrBlud

Citizen
I just don’t see 2021 Hasbro doing a non-repeatable Combing gimmick on Menasor of all people. Devastator can get away with that for a variety of reasons (that’s how it was before, six members, relative popularity, etc) but a single combining gimmick for Menasor then they have to come up with another one for the rest? Or the other ones all use the same one but Menasor doesn’t?

Neither of those choices make sense.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Well, Superion had the 'planes stuck on the backs of the arms and lower legs' look many times, but I don't see them trying that in a toy, simply because Silverbolt can't haul a trailer, unless they put a Skylynx-style 'carrier pod' of some sort under him.

Dake

Citizen
I just don’t see 2021 Hasbro doing a non-repeatable Combing gimmick on Menasor of all people. Devastator can get away with that for a variety of reasons (that’s how it was before, six members, relative popularity, etc) but a single combining gimmick for Menasor then they have to come up with another one for the rest? Or the other ones all use the same one but Menasor doesn’t?

Neither of those choices make sense.
It doesn't make any less sense than any number of other one-off designs they've used over the years.

They gave us a massive line worth in the Scramble City style. Now they may do something a little different is all.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Perhaps some of the issue is that, for some fans, despite the massive catalog between Combiner Wars and Prime Wars, there are 'unfinished' combiners, and abandoning the Scramble City style implies that completing them wont likely happen. For example, I would have loved to see Leozack, Jarugar, and Deathcobra, even as limbs, to finish the Breastforce set. Or G2 Defensor.

Alternately, there are combiner teams that never got made, like Monstructor, Dinoforce, etc. If Hasbro is starting over with combiners, those teams getting figures seems less likely.

Personally, if the new combiner formula requires a commander-class torso, I am going to be out for all but the most fantastic offerings.

Unless they do Power Suits. I would be all-in for Power Suits.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Menasor in general is a really odd case that lets him get away with something like this where none of the others really would. Obviously, he's got the cartoon giving him that style of cars attached to limbs, which none of the other combiners used. Even Superion was very much just the nose and tail of the jet attached to the upper arm, while the wings were attached to the lower arm, with that entirely coming from how the actual toys transformed. Only Menasor had limbs that seemed to be completely separate from the limb bots.

Then there's Motormaster himself. Here's a bot who's basically the same size as Optimus (cab only) in robot mode, and also the same size as Optimus (cab and trailer) in vehicle mode, while incorporating both the cab and trailer in both modes. He's one of the bots that provides great fodder for those who say scale doesn't matter. Add to that the fact that most of his bot mode is formed from the trailer, making his robot mode a pile of boxes even moreso than maybe any other G1 bot. It sets up a unique opportunity to do what's rumored here. Have his cab turn into a pile-of-boxes robot with some faux-cab feet hidden away somewhere, with the trailer turning into those combiner limbs, chestplate, etc.

As much as I don't really like that style, I can't deny it works in a way that wouldn't for any of the others. So I'm willing to at least give it some benefit of the doubt until we can actually see it. And if it turns out well, I have room in my collection for both a cartoon Menasor and a Scramble City Menasor. He's definitely not going to be replacing my CW Menasor though.

I think one of the other things that helps me be OK with it is the fact that we did get CW-style versions of all the Scramble City combiners. Sure, I would still like to see a few repaints (not that it'll ever happen, but I'd be in for a Battle Gaia), but the remaining new-mold combiners that haven't gotten updates were never Scramble City combiners in the first place. I would appreciate getting CW-compatible versions of those other combiners where applicable, but I don't need them. So if they want to move away from Scramble City in general, I'm OK with that. I just really wish they would focus on all those other combiners that haven't gotten updates rather than retread the ones that have.

SG_Roadbuster

Citizen
So, if whats being said about Motormaster is true, I wonder, since the robot is just the cab, could the combining trailer be swapped out for a new battle platform trailer and Motormaster repainted and retooled into Thunderclash/Machine Wars Optimus?

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Just milk the molds a few times with a G2 box set, and a Masquerade set, then move on to more traditional combiner setups.

unluckiness

Citizen
So, if whats being said about Motormaster is true, I wonder, since the robot is just the cab, could the combining trailer be swapped out for a new battle platform trailer and Motormaster repainted and retooled into Thunderclash/Machine Wars Optimus?
We haven’t had any instances of commander class retools yet. Not impossible but the set precedent is maybe a repaint a couple years down the line.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We haven’t had any instances of commander class retools yet. Not impossible but the set precedent is maybe a repaint a couple years down the line.

To be fair, the sample size is extremely low right now. If the Commander Class continues to be a thing for a while, I'd be pretty surprised if no Commander Class figures was ever retooled into an appropriate different character.

Top Bottom