Top 5 Transformers you love to transform and 5 you hate (40th Anni)

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
Best things about Transformers.....Thats correct they transform (If you said there collectors value go stub your small toe of a piece of furniture)
So my question is this what your top 5 you can transform over and over and whats 5 you never want to touch much

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
The one I hate to transform more than any other toy I've ever held is ROTF Leader Prime. He's a fascinating piece of engineering but by god he's unpleasant to actually play with.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The problem with ROTF Prime is that in truck mode the shoulders have to be between ratchets. That's why they try to fight you. It's a bit of terrible design in an otherwise brilliant piece.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
That's one problem, yes. It's been a few years since I dumped mine off, but other problems I remember include:
-His swords are too big, so they tangle up in his arm and back kibble when trying to move his arms to pose or transform. They're also on hair triggers for deploying, making it worse.
-The tabs holding his chest together are tiny and very tight, making them both hard to get in or out and easy to break.
--The entire transformation has him explode all over and then try to wrap around himself in multiple places at the same time. It's frustrating to hold, even without the shoulder ratchets and the swords also being problems.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The two that made me mad the first time I transformed them were the DOTM Deluxes of Skids and Mudflap. I didn't hate their ROTF Deluxe transformations, but their DOTM ones really got under my skin.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As far as top transformations, I don't think I could figure out a ranked list but I can throw out a nomination.

Beast Machines Tankor. It feels like it has fewer steps than it does because the sequence is so smooth.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
As far as top transformations, I don't think I could figure out a ranked list but I can throw out a nomination.

Beast Machines Tankor. It feels like it has fewer steps than it does because the sequence is so smooth.
If we're talking smooth transformations that get the job done extremely well if few steps, then I'll toss in the Cybertron Defense Scattorshot mold. After about six steps, it's done, and you realize just how good the results are for a such a simple conversion.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
Top 5 Transformations

G1 Scattorshot flip rotate spin
G1 Optimus Prime I have to have him on the list being first Transforming toy I ever played with
07 Dropkick (the truck not the more recent car) Something about it is so fun and complex
G1 Slapdash something neat about the top of the head and the bottom of the feet touching in vehicle mode
G1 Qickswitch I know crazy right but I have always had fun messing with him and finding fun new modes

TF I hate transforming

TR Blitzwing I like it but nothing pegs right and the wing pops off
RotF Mixmaster nightmare fuel
3P Cyberformula Drift A bit of a cheat I know but both his modes are so damn cool but that transformation is scary bad
Energon Steamshovel hate hate hate it
Cybertron Metroplex did it one and never again

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Love 'em:
-RotF Leader Prime, I'm the big outlier on this guy
-Classics Prime, just smooth
-Armada Tidal Wave, platonic ideal of size, heft, and ratchet joints
-Titans Return Topspin, slick as hell and the leg split step was so cool before Combiner Wars utterly ran it into the ground, broke it off, set it on fire, and pissed the fire out
-RTS Jazz, he's just cool, man.

Hate 'em:
-Cybertron Wing Saber, those legs are so damn finicky
-Most CW limbs, between scheme fatigue and mold degradation/bad tolerances it just got exhausting
-Kingdom BW Megatron, they overcomplicated him to the point that he made my arms hurt, that's criminal
-Legends God Ginrai, more unncessary overcomplication
-Alternators Grimlock, the devil designed those arms

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
-Titans Return Topspin, slick as hell and the leg split step was so cool before Combiner Wars utterly ran it into the ground, broke it off, set it on fire, and pissed the fire out
Titans Return Topspin came looooooooong after Combiner Wars.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
...ah, that's what happens when I was out of the loop for several years, for some reason I thought they did Titan Masters first. (I guess because that one IDW Brainstorm happened before I fell off, maybe.)

At least it works as a personal anecdote, since I got Topspin and Twin Twist before I started going in on CW figures afterwards?

Blot

Citizen
Love 'em:
-RotF Leader Prime, I'm the big outlier on this guy
-Classics Prime, just smooth
-Armada Tidal Wave, platonic ideal of size, heft, and ratchet joints
-RTS Jazz, he's just cool, man.

Hate 'em:
-Cybertron Wing Saber, those legs are so damn finicky
-Most CW limbs, between scheme fatigue and mold degradation/bad tolerances it just got exhausting
-Kingdom BW Megatron, they overcomplicated him to the point that he made my arms hurt, that's criminal
-Legends God Ginrai, more unncessary overcomplication
-Alternators Grimlock, the devil designed those arms
I don't have a formal list thought out yet, but Alternators Grimlock is DEFINITELY going in my hate list. Parts popping off the time and that Not-a-waist swivel below the actual waist always felt like it needed excessive force just to move.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I actually enjoy Titanium Soundwave's transformation. It is a bad toy. I won't pretend it's not. But the transformation is total finger candy. The end results may suck, but the process is fun to do. Every step below the waist seems designed to maximize the height difference between the two modes. That fits the character, and the joints just feel nice. I miss telescoping joints. We always get Z joints now. Those are better in some ways, but they're just not as much fun to do.

I'm sure it's not so fun if you get one with joints that don't stay extended. Mine happens to be fine.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The WFC/FOC Bumblebee. I swear I get amnesia every time my kids bring me that mold to transform it.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Top 5 I love:
Armada Jetfire (I have to watch the episodes Tactician and Link-Up when I get him out)
Energon Starscream (What a great compact design. A shame this mold didnt get as much mileage as others)
Energon Strongarm (One of THE most solid bots out there)
G1 Soundwave/Blaster (Masterpeice, Netflix, Legacy versions included as well. I love the tapedecks and cassettebots)
G1 Optimus (THE Transformer. Simple but fun. So many childhood memories)

Ones I hate:
Energon Starscream (That shoulder of his keeps him from being a REALLY great figure)
Thrilling 30 Bumblebee / Hot Shot. He's a tricky one
Energon Slugslinger (He is one of my favorite toys, but he is so lose that it detracts from the fun of him)

I cant think of any others off the top of my head. Stop distracting me with your silly lists, keeping me from doing my work. 😂

Darth_Prime

Citizen
The lose shoulders on him make me not want to play with him because I don’t want them getting lose.

Yeah, the one from Prime Bumblebee. Thats the one I was thinking of about not liking.

Top Bottom