Today is the 34th anniversary of the G1 cartoon ending

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Maybe I am lending too much hope to the wrong creative team, but I would have found it interesting if Wings Universe from the TFCC had explored the continuing adventures of Optimus Prime versus Galvatron after "The Rebirth".
There was that TFSS Scourge story planned that would have starred Optimus and Galvatron, but sadly it didn't happen.

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
I remember when the show aired, I was so confused as to how the recharging of Cybertron turned Goldbug back into Bumblebee for that final shot. Only years later did I realize that Goldbug was standing right next to Bumblebee....

outofbody.jpg

Noip

I'll think of something later.
Citizen
Obviously Cybertron's new power levels (probably over 9000, but who really knows?) caused a fracture in the space/time continuum.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The Unicron Singularity's reality-mucking effects reached all the way back to the G1 cartoon.

That or quantum ripples from the destruction of the Classicsverse duplicated more than just Packrat in the Beast Wars.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Goldbug must have been rebuilt using bumblebee's memories, not his actual body. His body was probably brought to Cybertron and when the planet regenerated, he did as well.

At least makes the animation error make sense.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Wish they could just go ahead and release yellow Cliffjumper and red Bumblebee in a 2-pack. Sure, it would be the third time the ER CJ mold came in yellow, but totally worth it.

Throw in the Buzzworthy Bumper figure with the right head on and you'd have a perfect set.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
I want blue Bumblebee, blue Cliffjumper, and blue Bumper as TF characters with toys. It is long past time they received their due.

And before someone tries to gotcha me, no. Glyph is different and while I like her and Tap-Out, she is not relevant to the above statement.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Nah, the Marvel Comics were better. 😜
I was introduced to the G1 show in the G2 era. Bad CGI of Optimus vs Ramjet, the CyberCube, and all! And it wouldn't be for another few years before I got into comics. At which point the G1 comic run was long over.

So for the longest time G1 was the cartoon for me. I didn't really become aware of the comics until the early 2000s when I first got acquainted with the online fandom looking for information about Armada.
Which- for a while- people thought could be a Rebirth sequel since Megatron looked like he could be a Scorponok/Megs fusion 😁 That would have been wild.

But I guess what I'm getting at is that to me the comics were this weird "other" take on G1. Make even weirder because I knew they came out before the cartoon but like...everything's different? I didn't understand just how slapdash the franchise was in those days. I mean why wouldn't you coordinate things?

I guess I'm just giving personal context to say I'm not sure I agree that the comics are better, or even the cartoon is better. The cartoon is far more my definitive "G1" personally, but they're each doing wildly different things.

The cartoon is doing a standard 80s action kids show setup, and doing it well.

The comics are far more in the style of mid 80s sci fi speculative fiction. They, like the cartoon, exist to advertise toys but the stories are far more explorative of the concept I guess? Which one could hold against the cartoon, but then again the cartoon wasn't trying to be that.

I still haven't gotten as familiar with the comics as I should have, but they do seem very fun and deep. And there are concepts there the fantasy nerd in me adores.

The cartoon, though, was what inspired me and got me into this fandom. And if it's been thirty-four years since its original run ended? Well that's a fun milestone worth celebrating on its own 😊

Top Bottom