Today is the 34th anniversary of the G1 cartoon ending

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I remember watching this when it came out. I didn't know beforehand that the series was coming to an end, but the sense that "this was it" was decidedly strong by the end of the mini-series. Even though it was open-ended enough to show Galvatron and Zarak still out there, it was clear that the saga had closure.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I didn't watch these episodes when they were first released. In fact, I didn't know that they existed until sometime in the early 90s. I remember finally getting to see them when the SciFi Channel began airing Transformers in the mornings around 1995 or '96. These episodes still occupy a special place in my mind, since they bring some type of closure to the series that I liked so much growing up.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Funnily enough, the very first episodes I ever saw of the G1 cartoon were... "The Rebirth", all three parts of the series finale/epilogue. My introduction was its very end.

Deathy G1

Citizen
I remember when the show aired, I was so confused as to how the recharging of Cybertron turned Goldbug back into Bumblebee for that final shot. Only years later did I realize that Goldbug was standing right next to Bumblebee....

Glitch

Citizen
Optimus: "The golden age of Cybertron has come again Cerebros."
Cerebros: "Was that a goal?"
Optimus: "... run with it."

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And after watching "The Rebirth" first, the very next set of episodes I saw was "The Ultimate Doom".

Needless to say, I was royally confused watching those two trilogies back-to-back like that.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
It's a little weird to be at a point where my only real thought about this is "that late? I thought it was earlier in the fall."

That, and, the old wish that Pointblank had gotten more characterization, because I'd bought his toy that summer.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I never knew it was the end and don't remember the order in which they came on. Back then I had local stations and whatever syndication dictated was what we got. It was always a random mix of season 2 and 3 reruns and then every once in a while a brand new episode would air.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
I do remember being frustrated that Thursday and Friday went back to first season reruns, and I was confused when it wasn't even on the schedule the next week.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
My local affiliate never aired Rebirth pt 3. I was so hyped to see Scorponok in the show, and it was preempted by some sports or something. The following week we got Five Faces again.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
When I saw it, my TV watching was so intermittant that I assumed it was going to go into another story line, like how it transitioned from Optimus to Rodimus. It took a long time before I realized that it had been the end of the series.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
It would be interesting to live in a world where the Sunbow cartoon ran with full seasons all the way through to the end of the Hasbro U.S. G1 line.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It would be interesting to live in a world where the Sunbow cartoon ran with full seasons all the way through to the end of the Hasbro U.S. G1 line.
It'd probably have turned out something like the original TMNT cartoon, with later seasons getting cheaper and cheaper in both writing and animation.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
I remember watching this when it came out. I didn't know beforehand that the series was coming to an end, but the sense that "this was it" was decidedly strong by the end of the mini-series. Even though it was open-ended enough to show Galvatron and Zarak still out there, it was clear that the saga had closure.
Maybe I am lending too much hope to the wrong creative team, but I would have found it interesting if Wings Universe from the TFCC had explored the continuing adventures of Optimus Prime versus Galvatron after "The Rebirth".

Top Bottom