Thundercats - General Discussion (and some Silverhawks too, whynot)

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
The sword was kind of, a get of jail free card, thou something that kind of makes me wonder, why can't any of the other Thundercats besides from Lion'o & Jaga, use the sword power, at least fully, I do recall a time when Snarf was using the sword in a rather unconvertual manner against the Mutants

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
The sword was kind of, a get of jail free card, thou something that kind of makes me wonder, why can't any of the other Thundercats besides from Lion'o & Jaga, use the sword power, at least fully, I do recall a time when Snarf was using the sword in a rather unconvertual manner against the Mutants
I think it's a bloodline thing, though they were all considered "nobles". Claudus was also able to use the Sword of Omens and commune with Jaga in his spirit form and none of the others were. The Thundercats are able to use the tech/weapons he gave them, but since Jaga created the sword, there may be a connection to who has access to the magic of the Eye of Thundera.

Dake

Citizen
Yeah - I think I always assumed it's a "sword chooses its wielder" type of trope.

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
I have to say, after watching both series, I'm still leaning more towards the 2011 versions. Watching the original series makes me really mourn for what we lost in season 2 of the 2011 series. Still have love for the originals, but the writing and toy line quality from 2011 always blew me away.

Just wondering...Is this the place to discuss any possible underlying religious undertones in the original series? As I watched it, I saw several parallels in the 80's series. But that might be a thread for another forum...

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
Mumm-Rana

Attachments

• 20221021_075005.jpg
    20221021_075005.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20221021_075023.jpg
    20221021_075023.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20221021_075015.jpg
    20221021_075015.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 65
  • 20221021_075231.jpg
    20221021_075231.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20221021_075206.jpg
    20221021_075206.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 69

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
I seem to recall her bandages being completely white or is it just the lighting?
Lighting. I took the photos beside an illuminated tart burner and it casts a cream color. Didn't even think about that when I took the photos. I used a cloud white female buck and black satin paint for the wrap lines. I'm also going to go down both sides of her robe and sew in wire to make it poseable and stop the fraying. I did that for the portion around the head and it worked well.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
*watches first episode*
Well, that wasn't too bad, I suppose. I mean, it wasn't as great as I remember, but that's just 80's cheese. Guess I'm in this marathon for the long haul.

*looks at the really thick season set boxes*
Nope! Nope nope! I'm out. Not gonna do it. Nope!

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
*watches first episode*
Well, that wasn't too bad, I suppose. I mean, it wasn't as great as I remember, but that's just 80's cheese. Guess I'm in this marathon for the long haul.

*looks at the really thick season set boxes*
Nope! Nope nope! I'm out. Not gonna do it. Nope!
You won't regret it if you do, if just for nostalgia alone. ...I focused on one or two a day after work, then got a little time off last weekend to binge the second half of season two.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
The first season was mostly stand alone eps after the first couple, thou it had a multi part story where Lion'o has to beat the other Thundercats in various trials, before facing his most powerful enemy, without the Sword of Omens, due to the rules and that meant taking on Mummra himself, on his own! Season 2 starts off with what was the movie, spilt up into five parts and from that point onwards, the series has a tighter storyline and the Thundercats also get new enemies, thou also new friends members of the Thundercats themselves! Come to think of it, only once that I can recall, in the whole series, did the Thundercats come to complete defeat and imprisonment for eternty, by a carefully laid plan by Mummra and the Mutants, yet they overlooked the seventh member, Snarf! The new enemies for a time were quite a considerable threat to the Thundercats, thou evenly in one ep, Lion'o outwits each of them, through various means, of course, Mummra remained the primary villian because out of all the 80s villians, he is pretty much the embodiement of Evil and being ever living, means, he immortal, thou he has retrictions upon him and is kind of a slave to the anicent sprits of Evil and their will, thou they take a bit more of a active role from season 2 onwards!

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't think I got to see as much of the stuff from Season 2 or past when I was a kid, so I was a bit shocked at the level of continuity when I watched it on Toonami years later.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I don't think I got to see as much of the stuff from Season 2 or past when I was a kid, so I was a bit shocked at the level of continuity when I watched it on Toonami years later.

I think the people behind the show knew to grow with their viewers, so they put in a proper plot, Transformers G1 had a loose plot for its first season but after that, it became strictly stand alone stories

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
Until I watched season two completely, it didn't dawn on me how active the ancient spirits were in fighting the Thundercats. I always wondered why the two idols that came with the tomb were so articulated. I also liked how the writers added other gods from the ancient eras into the storyline. The cougar god from Lion-O's final trial was a pretty cool addition to that story.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Something I always appreciated was environmental continuity. If they had to cross the Desert of Despair to reach The Lake of Supercalm Waters in one episode, then you better believe they had to at least mention needing to do so if thet returned to said lake in a future ep.

(Locations made the F up)

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
(Locations made the F up)

I doult they had much of a map drawn up when they began making the series, I mean, it seems like everything in front of Catslair is where all the stories take place yet, they never go behind the location and kind of makes you wonder, why the Mutants didn't try a sneak attack from behind the lair, by taking the long road around and assulting the lair that way, thou I'll grant much of the lair is built into the cliffside, well, the third Earth lair, while the one built on new Thundrea was built very much in the open with two statues protecting its front entrance!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
You won't regret it if you do, if just for nostalgia alone. ...I focused on one or two a day after work, then got a little time off last weekend to binge the second half of season two.

I may try watching some more. I do want to go on a Thundercats binge. I just saw the sheer amount of DVDs and kinda went "hell no." But I guess I can still make a stab at watching some of them. I just make no promises or commitments to finish it.

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
New Thundera Cats Lair was awesome. I wonder if we'd have ever gotten a playset of that.
That would have been amazing. I always felt like they had intentions to do a castle Plundarr because the layout was so similar to Cat's Lair. Recast the lair in green, change the head, add wings and a tower and done.
I may try watching some more. I do want to go on a Thundercats binge. I just saw the sheer amount of DVDs and kinda went "hell no." But I guess I can still make a stab at watching some of them. I just make no promises or commitments to finish it.
The episodes go by super fast, or at least they do for me. I think they're only like 20 minutes each. Some episodes are better than others, but it's pretty fantastic to watch from beginning to end. There was so much lore I missed out on back in the day, and I believe that the 2011 series will have many more aspects that I missed out on last time I watched it.

Sunstorm

Super-Powered Zealot
Citizen
Next up is Alluro. I still need to finish the scepter, but for all intents and purposes, done other than touching-up some shoddy paintwork on his belt. Used a Bossfight pink buck and parts from Vitruvian Armory. I made the codpiece from linen and thread with gold beads for the buckle. His horns, eyes, Lunatak insignia, and belt eye insignia glow. The ball and crescent on the scepter will eventually glow as well. Ears, horns, and hair are sculpted with hot glue. I know his nose isn't blue in the show, but I like the look...makes him look more shamanistic, imo.

Attachments

• 20221109_191827.jpg
    20221109_191827.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 60
  • 20221109_191413.jpg
    20221109_191413.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20221109_191429 1.jpg
    20221109_191429 1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20221109_191440.jpg
    20221109_191440.jpg