The US Supreme Court and its decisions

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
look, i used to suffer from doomism and it made me ******* miserable. then i realized doomism is inherently selfish, since you're basically just giving up because you don't want to put any actual effort into making things less shitty for other people. you basically tell yourself "there's no way things are ever going to get better, so there's no reason to put any effort into making things less shitty" to make yourself feel better about doing nothing. it's a defense mechanism, and like, it's understandable to feel that way, but if you've given up on helping people, you're part of the ******* problem.

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m still going to vote and fight but “demographic change” isn’t a panacea that’s going to solve all of our problems.

I’m quite afraid it’s going to wind up eventually being John Brown’s horrid, yet endlessly prophetic statement “that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood,”

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
see, that's the thing. the bloodshed never stopped. it's still ongoing. *gestures to police shootings and the treatment of BLM protesters by law enforcement, and then gestures to the proud boys and other fascist goons going around stirring shit up*

also while we like to think the GOP is strong and unified, there's a lot of infighting going on inside the GOP. like any fascists, they want to project the image of being strong, but they're actually weak right now, weaker than you'd think. we all assume they're the party of trump, but his grip over the party is weakening. the candidates he's endorsed are failing left and right, polls indicate more republicans identify with the party than with trump (which is an inverse of how it's been for the past four years), and hell, even whites without college degrees are abandoning him. we're probably going to see a bloody showdown in 2024 between trump and desantis that has a good chance of weakening the GOP's vote share. the GOP is dying, and they know it.

oh, and also: there was a study last year that shows that the voter id/suppression republicans have been trying to do? it fails most of the time. they can try to rig the election as much as they want, but voter suppression is a sign of weakness, not strength. they want to project this image of being machiavellian geniuses, when the truth is they're ******* stupid.

the best way to let fascists win is to think they've already won, because if there's enough resistance, they will lose.

Last edited:

Paladin

Citizen

Justice Thomas has been hospitalized with COVID but there's been no update to his condition for a week. He's either gone or VERY good at laying low...

Ironbite4

Citizen
Looking like Judge Brown will be Justice Brown when all is said and done. Manchin came out and said he'd vote for her.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/25/politics/joe-manchin-ketanji-brown-jackson-vote/index.html

West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin announced on Friday that he plans to vote for President Joe Biden's Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson, a move that all but guarantees she will be confirmed.
In a statement outlining his decision, Manchin said, "I met with Judge Jackson and evaluated her qualifications to be a Supreme Court Justice. After meeting with her, considering her record, and closely monitoring her testimony and questioning before the Senate Judiciary Committee this week, I have determined I intend to vote for her nomination to serve on the Supreme Court."
Manchin's announcement is notable since he is a closely-watched moderate Democrat and key swing vote in the Senate. His decision to vote "yes" helps solidify the vote math for Senate Democrats to confirm the nominee.
Senate Democrats are hoping to move swiftly to a confirmation vote by the full Senate by early next month. They can confirm Jackson to the Supreme Court without Republican support if every member of their caucus votes in favor, which appears on track to happen, and Vice President Kamala Harris breaks a tie. It is not yet clear if Jackson will win any Republican votes.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer vowed in a floor speech Thursday to bring the nomination to the Senate floor "in short order" once the Senate Judiciary Committee advances the nomination. The Judiciary Committee is expected to vote on the nomination on April 4.
Jackson appeared before the committee for high-profile confirmation hearings this week, which featured intense questioning by Senate Republicans.
So far, no Democrats have publicly signaled they would vote against the nominee, even as Republicans have worked to unleash potentially politically damaging attacks such as accusations that Jackson is soft on crime, a charge the nominee and many Democrats have pushed back on.
While Republicans have attacked the nominee's record this week, Democrats have praised her credentials and experience, describing her as exceptionally qualified. Democrats have also consistently emphasized the historic nature of Jackson's nomination. If confirmed, Jackson would be the first Black woman to serve as a Supreme Court justice.
When the Senate voted to confirm Jackson last year to fill a vacancy on a powerful DC-based appellate court, three Republican senators voted with Democrats in favor: Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska. As a result, those three Republicans have been closely watched this week.
Collins and Murkowski are not on the Senate Judiciary Committee, so they did not have a chance to question the nominee during the hearings.
But Graham is a member of the panel. The South Carolina Republican directed fierce, and highly critical, lines of questioning toward the nominee as he appears to be signaling he will not support her nomination.
Graham told CNN earlier this week it's "fair to say" he sees red flags with the nomination.

Graham see's red flags with this nomination when Kavanaugh couldn't keep it together long enough to have his nomination locked in and it took Collins making a stupid decision at the last second to get him in? Graham can go kiss some ass.

Ironbite-and with Thomas hospitalized for Covid...we might be able to swing the court back the other way.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
What about Kyrsten Sinema? Isn't she going to do her performative cutesy-curtsy again while voting no?

Ironbite4

Citizen
Nah she's going to just lock step cause this doesn't allow her to be a hero anymore.

Ironbite-51-49 is ok in my book.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Add two more Republicans voting for Ketanji Brown Jackson, Mittens and Lisa Murkowski. So she'll be confirmed easily.

TrnsfrmGod

Citizen
Add two more Republicans voting for Ketanji Brown Jackson, Mittens and Lisa Murkowski. So she'll be confirmed easily.
Brief aside: I'm so burned out on politics, I'd forgotten who "Mittens" is.
Frighteningly, a brief Google search of "US Republican Senator Mittens" actually yielded the answer... 😐

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Google knows who Mittens is.

Mitt will never live that nickname down, even if it's shockingly turned out that he's one of the good guys. Or at least compared to the rest of the Republican conference.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I guess I'm glad he hasn't run out of things to reach across the aisle over, but really, approving a Supreme Court appointment is one of those things that shouldn't require much reaching. I'm not sure what I'd have to google to find this out, but I'd reckon it used to be common for those to get near-unanimous approval.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Frighteningly, a brief Google search of "US Republican Senator Mittens" actually yielded the answer... 😐
I mean, the only way Google results wouldn't indicate the answer would be if those words also appeared together in some other context.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I guess I'm glad he hasn't run out of things to reach across the aisle over, but really, approving a Supreme Court appointment is one of those things that shouldn't require much reaching. I'm not sure what I'd have to google to find this out, but I'd reckon it used to be common for those to get near-unanimous approval.
It did.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
It also used to be common to treat violent attacks on the capital as serious business needing an immediate response, but here we are.

Top Bottom