The Twit destroying Twitter is a Twaitor

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
..............HOW!?
Let's be real here: if someone came along and offered you a literal do nothing job, to play the part of overseer to a steaming corpse for literally millions of dollars: you would jump at it. She saw a chance to grift one of the richest, dumbest people in the entire ******* world. That sentence ends there, by the way.

Patch

Citizen
Well, this just happened. As of yesterday, it was possible for me to view Twitter accounts without needing an account myself. Trying to click on any trending topics or doing searches was blocked though. As of today, I can't see anything on the site without an account. A login window pops up and if I close it, I'm redirected to the main page of the site.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630-050634.png
    Screenshot_20230630-050634.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 58

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Well, that's a height of unusability that we reached earlier than I expected.

Anonymous X

Citizen
That’s shit. I was using my browser to occasionally look at accounts of people who I know online haven’t moved to Mastodon/don’t post on their Mastodon account since I scrapped my Twitter account last November.* Some of those people I’ve known online since the days of Usenet. I hate Space Apartheid Emerald Mine Wanker.

* not using Twitter has been one of the best decisions I’ve made in terms of my internet use since I got online back in 1995.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
So many other sites have done the "lock people out of seeing anything unless they register" crap, it was probably only a matter of time before Twitter hopped on the train. Hope they like never showing up in search results again. What's odd is that embeds still work, but I'm sure that's the next thing to go.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
No, they need the embeds to attract people to actually sign up. Granted Twitter is currently run by morons, so maybe they don't realize that embeds are the best advertising the platform actually has.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
There are hardly any sites left to embed into. Independent forums like this are a dying breed, and Twitter embeds have never been supported by any competing social networks.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
There's Discord embeds, but those haven't always worked right even before now, which is why vxtwitter and fxtwittter came about. Wonder if those will keep working.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
as a member of twitter for 12+ years this is absolute Bullshit and is the the end of the journey im afraid

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
There are hardly any sites left to embed into. Independent forums like this are a dying breed, and Twitter embeds have never been supported by any competing social networks.
Reddit supports twitter embeds and it's one of the larger social networks(though it too seems like it wants to drive itself off a cliff)

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
hell you cant even look at or see your own post

Congrats you clown you effective just killed your platform in one key stroke

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yeah, still waiting for them to actually, you know... DIE already. I'll not hold my breath, but I suspect the elon musk fanboys will help keep the whole putrid dumpster fire limping along.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I wonder how that gets counted, considering I always have Tweeteck on a background tab, and as of right now it's still working for me. Of course, Tweetdeck doens't work wiht the extra-long BLue tweets either, so they may just have "forgotton" to update it.

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
looks like its not going well elon thinking about lifting the restrictions

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
So probably they were being inundated by archive bots run by people who are all simultaneously trying to preserve people's tweets before all the inactive accounts get wiped.

I thought I read somewhere that the entirety of Twitter is already being archived by the Library of Congress. Not to mention the Internet Archive. So probably most of these efforts are redundant anyway.

Top Bottom