The Twit destroying Twitter is a Twaitor

Kup

Citizen
My question is this: what is the medium of choice of late X / early Y ages? Facebook is for our parents. TikTok for our younger siblings or kids even.

I prefer forums, which is why I’ve gravitated toward Reddit over the past three years. Though that may be short lived due to the API changes. So will forums become the thing once again since Reddit may go the way of Twitter?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
No. That would require ordinary people being able to afford to host their own website, and have the free time to run it. And have any more tech savvy than it takes to operate a phone, for that matter. Hell, even the people who do have all three of those things and have decades of experience to boot are just one hacking incident away from losing it all, as we have already witnessed firsthand. Who wants to use a website that could just be wiped from existence tomorrow?

Corvus

Citizen
No. That would require ordinary people being able to afford to host their own website, and have the free time to run it. And have any more tech savvy than it takes to operate a phone, for that matter. Hell, even the people who do have all three of those things and have decades of experience to boot are just one hacking incident away from losing it all, as we have already witnessed firsthand. Who wants to use a website that could just be wiped from existence tomorrow?

This.

Speaking as someone who used to build and maintain my own websites (and for a short time, my own message board), that stuff eventually became too time-consuming and mentally-exhausting. Even when I pared stuff down to a single wordpress-based Doctor WHO website by 2010, I still couldn't manage it and had to stop. I stopped paying for web-hosting and hung it up over a decade ago. I simply didn't have the spoons any longer.

Ironbite4

Citizen
He is not paying anything because he thinks he'll be able to secure a better deal from everyone. Too bad it's not working out so well.

And it's something he'll never understand either. Because he's never been in a position where his actions have consequences. But they sure are now. AND SPEAKING OF CONSEQUENCES!

We all know DMCA is a crapshoot. It's just another tool certain industries use and abuse to crap over smaller creators. Ok we got that right? But when your a social media company who has an agreement with said industry to enforce DMCA take-downs....they're gonna not like it when you publicly declare them a plague on humanity. In fact, they might get litigious about things. OH WAIT!

Ironbite-now say you're not gonna enforce pro-Nazi speech in Germany and see what happens to Twitter then.

NovaSaber

Citizen
I don't recall racists ever tying to claim "white" was a slur.

Does that mean transphobia is officially stupider than racism?

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
well you forget that racists are proud of the term white while transphobes hate the idea that they aren't the only type of normal.

As I told a friend however, this is secretly hilarious for a couple reasons.

Firstly becuase Musk isn't the CEO anymore, doesn't get to make these decisions anymore, and people are already reporting that twitter has been rejecting people reporting users who use the term cis.
Secondly because if cis and cisgender are forbidden on the platform then it means, logically, nobody can identify as cis or cisgender on the platform. If cis isn't an allowed identity on the platform then it means that twitter's owner has in a way declared that twitter is only for trans people as its still an officially supported identity.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
It's got momentum. Gonna take awhile to slow down and fall over. Heck MySpace is still around, completely irrelevant, but still around.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Maybe we will get lucky and Elon will accidentally hit Mark hard enough it causes his internal battery to go critical taking them both out.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I thought non-competes were deemed unenforceable in California. Granted her former job was with NBC Universal, which is headquartered in New York, which does have enforceable non-competes.

Top Bottom