The Random Image Thread

Paladin

Citizen
4MtiGyy.jpg

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
I've always wondered about the Nerve Pinch. Do all humanoid species just happen to have convergently evolved a vulnerable nerve in the same place, or does it only work on humans? And if it only works on humans, why exactly do the Vulcans have a technique for specifically incapacitating us?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've always wondered about the Nerve Pinch. Do all humanoid species just happen to have convergently evolved a vulnerable nerve in the same place, or does it only work on humans? And if it only works on humans, why exactly do the Vulcans have a technique for specifically incapacitating us?

I can't speak to the first question, but as to the second, have you met humans? Learning how to turn them off, at least for a little while, HAD to be the Vulcan's first priority upon meeting humanity.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I forget if it was a novel or the show: but somewhere along the line spock tried to teach kirk repeatedly how to do the nerve pinch and always failed.

So yeah: I think it's just a vulcan quiet time maneuver.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Another of the novels points out that most humanoids have an equivalent of the carotid artery, though the location varies a bit (so the nerve pinch has to be adapted for different species).

Ryougabot

Citizen
“J.R.R. Tolkien has become a sort of mountain, appearing in all subsequent fantasy in the way that Mt. Fuji appears so often in Japanese prints. Sometimes it’s big and up close. Sometimes it’s a shape on the horizon. Sometimes it’s not there at all, which means that the artist either has made a deliberate decision against the mountain, which is interesting in itself, or is in fact standing on Mt. Fuji.”
Terry Pratchett

d65awu4o26ta1.jpg

Top Bottom