Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Kirk was very hands-on. He knew how to handle his crew:

Kirk was effective at mediating and resolving conflicts. Kirk could be one of the guys and be respected at the same time.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
When I tried to watch “Star Trek: The Motion Picture” on TV in the 80’s I did think it was long and boring. I don’t think I got through the whole movie.

When I watched it years later, I liked it. It was a visual masterpiece. There was a lot of fan service with the panning shots of the Enterprise leaving the dock and the introduction of the characters.

I get what they were trying to do with visual storytelling. They were drawing inspiration from “2001 A Space Odyssey. “

I actually think “Star Trek: The Motion Picture” was more enjoyable to watch than “2001 A Space Odyssey” which I found hard to understand and painfully boring to watch. I don’t know how that movie is considered the greatest science fiction movie of all time.

In “Star Trek: The Motion Picture” they were facing a force that was huge and vast in scale, probably more powerful than any Star Trek antagonist past, present or future:

It made the Borg look like nothing.

Last edited:

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
The Director's Cut, only recently (finally) remastered and re-released in HD & 4K, makes The Motion Picture eminently more watchable. I'd recommend picking up the new blu-ray.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Star Trek: The Orignal Series introduced the world to parallel universes:

Today, it’s been taken and overused to explain and justify everything comic book and sci-fi. Everything has become multiverse this and multiverse that to the point where writers and physicists have become brain dead and lazy, with no imagination or accountability.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Kirk being a flagrant womanizer is both over stated and doesn't reflect what we actually saw on screen. I'm not sure where people got the notion that he was getting laid almost every episode.

In many cases he had genuine emotional and romantic feelings but it just wasn't meant to be.

It's the same kind of falsehood that gets pinned on him that he's just an ignorant "cowboy" who does whatever he wants and resorts to violence first. With few exceptions the opposite is true.

Ryougabot

Citizen
Kirk being a flagrant womanizer is both over stated and doesn't reflect what we actually saw on screen. I'm not sure where people got the notion that he was getting laid almost every episode.

In many cases he had genuine emotional and romantic feelings but it just wasn't meant to be.

It's the same kind of falsehood that gets pinned on him that he's just an ignorant "cowboy" who does whatever he wants and resorts to violence first. With few exceptions the opposite is true.
xi328es5pxp91.png

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Meanwhile Sisko's over here like:

And you never want to get between Janeway and her coffee if you value your life:
41b9168e752f48d71a98b749348a391f.jpg

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I heard Janeway mated and reproduced in this form with her female crew member as her wing girl:

58231AA6-26C2-4B03-A730-EBA375979145.jpeg

and Voyager fans have tried to sweep this under the rug.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
There are entire college courses devoted to Star Trek: The Orignal Series:

I don’t think there are, that I’ve heard of, university classes for the other Star Trek shows. I could be wrong. The Original Series I believe is more culturally significant. It was able to carry the Star Trek fandom and franchise for over 20 years by all by itself.

I think the Next Generation was successful in attracting “normies” and “non-trekkies”, people who were otherwise not Star Trek nor sci-fi fans but got into and liked the Next Generation.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I wish this were a real game:

I’m surprised no one has invented three-dimensional chess after all these years. Star Trek: The Original Series is usually good at predicting the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom